PDA

View Full Version : Anzac day.

koehn,jim
04-25-2015, 02:04 PM
I am surprised there is no mention of the ceremony commenerating the battle of Gallipoli in the first World War. I thought this was a special holiday in The Commonwealth. If I have the date wrong please forgive me. To the Australians and New Zelanders, my hat is off to the brave lads that gave their all.

Fergie
04-25-2015, 04:01 PM
No, you've got the day correct.

Lest we forget the Diggers.

Also the 100th anniversary of Gallipoli.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them." - Laurence Binyon

JeffinNZ
04-25-2015, 05:16 PM
SWMBO and I went to the dawn service. HUGE turnout. Still makes me very sad and angry at the futile waste of life. Hysterical colonial patriotism combined with young men looking for adventure and not knowing their lives meant ZERO to the pompous British commanders.

popper
04-25-2015, 05:29 PM
Churchill learned a valuable lesson he never forgot.

leebuilder
04-25-2015, 05:33 PM
We remember too, at least the informed do
Lest we forget.
Thanks Diggers

jonp
04-25-2015, 05:37 PM
I salute our Aussie and Kiwi BIA. I was just at a friends house. He has a nice collection of WWI Arms in particular a SMLE that he traced to Tripoli where one of his ancesters fought. When he got it he said it still had sand in it. Apparently it was picked up, inspected and stored as is. To think that i got to hold a weapon that may have saved the life of one of our most important and best allies left me speechless.

pworley1
04-25-2015, 09:33 PM
Bravery should always be remembered and honored.

gew98
04-26-2015, 11:18 AM
SWMBO and I went to the dawn service. HUGE turnout. Still makes me very sad and angry at the futile waste of life. Hysterical colonial patriotism combined with young men looking for adventure and not knowing their lives meant ZERO to the pompous British commanders.

Lions lead by Donkeys. The great war - industrial slaughter on a grand scale. My wife has an cousin whom went to australia 20 years ago...married an ozzie and made it her home. Just yesterday my wife was corresponding with the cousin and she asked me what ANZAC day was - and what was "anzac" . Oi !. A two second question had me give her an hour answer.

hornady308
04-26-2015, 11:26 AM
"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below."

Differnet place, but same idea.