PDA

View Full Version : 7mm Ultra Mag

Vann
04-25-2015, 01:14 PM
Has anyone tried shooting cast boolits out of a 7mm Ultra Mag?

I don't imagine that it'll be that accurate, but I love shooting this rifle and don't want to burn the barrel out. I'm already at the 400+ round mark and know that if I'm really lucky I maybe able to squeeze out 400 more, but I ran across some load data in my Lyman cast bullet handbook and was wondering just how feasible this would be and if anyone has already tried this in an ultra mag or a 7mm stw. I already have a mould or two laying around for the .284 caliber, so I guess my real question is will shooting reduced loads with cast boolits let me shoot this rifle without causing further throat erosion? I'm thinking that it would be greatly reduced, but I don't have much experience casting for a rifle with this much overbore.

Thanks,
D. Vann

Lloyd Smale
04-27-2015, 07:34 AM
ive got a stw but never bothered with a cast bullet in it. It is a what I consider a purpose gun. It excels at long range killing and ive got better guns to plink with.

Vann
04-27-2015, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean about being a purpose gun. When my father left it to me I had a purpose, now I don't do a lot of hunting where I really need it. So it's just sitting in my safe, but I do like pulling out and and taking it hunting, and popping a few targets with it now and then. That brings back old memories. I have thought about rebarreling it to something else more useful, but really would rather leave it like it is.

MarkP
04-27-2015, 08:11 PM
I tried some cast in my Rem 700 MTN in 300 WBY; a full case of Trailboss is a very pleasant load to shoot and surprisingly accurate out to 175 yds. (and probably beyond). Out shot my B I L shooting jacketed rounds in his heavy bbl tactical rifle in 308. Approx. velocity ~1,800 fps +/- with 200 gr RN.

I would give it a try since you already have the molds.

Vann
04-28-2015, 10:27 AM
That sounds like something I need to try. Even if the cast bullets don't workout I could try Trailboss with jacketed bullets. I have a few hundred 140gr Nosler Accubonds, maybe I'll get lucky and it'll reach low 7mm/08 speeds. Now I just need to find some powder.