PDA

View Full Version : New Caster "wannabe"

Cleve Branch
04-25-2015, 11:07 AM
New to casting and to this forum. So glad I found it. I thought it was simply pouring lead into a mould and sizing the boolits. After looking at all this info I have a lot to learn. Just hope my brain can obsorb what is needed.
Thanks to all who share there info.
Cleve Branch

w5pv
04-25-2015, 11:12 AM
Welcome to the addiction,there is a lot of knowledge on here read all the stickies and ask questions when you don't understand.

BNE
04-25-2015, 11:21 AM
Welcome and just remember, you can re melt any mistakes! This site is great. Read and listen to the advice given.

Yodogsandman
04-25-2015, 12:55 PM
Welcome, keep it simple and work your way into the more complex stuff.

leebuilder
04-25-2015, 01:05 PM
Yes lots to learn, forget a lot of what you already know.
cast boolits are a world of their own, fun and funner.
be safe.

runfiverun
04-25-2015, 01:47 PM
it is as simple as melting lead and pouring it into a mold, sizing the boolits and loading.
at least that's how I do it.

pworley1
04-25-2015, 01:50 PM
Welcome. There is a lot to learn, but you don't have to know it all to have fun and load good ammunition. This is a good thing for me.

03fatboy
04-25-2015, 03:29 PM
As a newbie myself,I'm in the same boat.
Don't over think it and have fun and keep gaining knowledge.
As one member told me ,you have "do overs"
Happy casting

lightman
04-25-2015, 08:17 PM
Welcome Aboard!

RogerDat
04-25-2015, 10:42 PM
Steady careful work and knowledge keeps one safe and keeps it fun. Look for the threads on what goes wrong or worst thing etc. This is the kind of place where people will tell of their screw ups and how they came about just to help others avoid having the problem or accident.

bangerjim
04-25-2015, 10:48 PM
it is as simple as melting lead and pouring it into a mold, sizing the boolits and loading.
at least that's how I do it.

Completely agree. It is easy and fun. Just follow some simple rules and be safe! Just remember: molten lead and moisture do not mix!

Start out simple with one cal and work up from there.

Funny, this..................good quality boolits just fall out of pre-heated molds. Read and learn. But the best advice is.........just get out there and DO IT! And do not overthink it.

62chevy
04-25-2015, 10:51 PM
Welcome aboard !!! Hard is relative but really casting is not all that hard. The hardest part for me was learning the new language and once that sunk in it started getting easy.

Keep in mind what your goal are like just plinking or may be hunting, competition shooting or 1000 yard targets. All need something a little different.

GhostHawk
04-26-2015, 09:53 PM
The good news is you can start small and simple and work up as your addiction grows.

I've been casting for near 40 years and I still learn new stuff every day here.

Don't forget that often many of the starting tools can be found at the second hand store.

Cast iron fry pans, I like 6", slotted spoons, muffin tins for ingot molds, etc.

Start with 1 caliber, I think mid sized to bigger is easier. Then expand as you can or the interest desires.

You don't need a 20lb bottom pour furnace to start.

You do need to read everything you can get your hands on.