PDA

View Full Version : Forster case trimmer problem

mm1ut1
04-24-2015, 06:09 PM
The collet grips the case, but spins when you crank the cutter. I used it with no problems before, switched collets and trimmed another caliber. I feel I'm making a simple mistake somewhere . Any ideas ? Thanks !

dragon813gt
04-24-2015, 06:13 PM
You sure the case is set all the way down in the collet. I've had them spin when they aren't deep enough. Which I prefer because if they aren't set all they way and don't spin you end up w/ a very short case.

376Steyr
04-24-2015, 06:48 PM
Check the spinning collet for excess lube. A good cleaning might help. I'm always surprised at the amount of crud that builds up inside after long (like years) use.

kfarm
04-24-2015, 06:49 PM
Also check for brass chips.

kbstenberg
04-24-2015, 07:29 PM
if I could add another question.
How do you take the hand crank off so I can attatch a drill to power trim?

dragon813gt
04-24-2015, 08:07 PM
It's threaded so it unscrews.

country gent
04-24-2015, 11:10 PM
several things to check are the drawbars threads that go into the collet in back make sure they are clean and good also look for chips crude in the collets mount. Also check cutter if its grabbing when cutting it can spin cases also.Most are threaded on or a screw locks them on. If no screw remove cutter, remove shaft and clamp in padded vise. Lightly tap counter clock wise looking at it with a small soft faced hammer. Wood blocks work good to hold shaftand not damage it. Any scoring or dings will need to be smoothed up or it will eat the bushings.

Pepe Ray
04-24-2015, 11:36 PM
There should be absolutely NO lube between the anvil and the face. Otherwise you'll have varying dimensional changes in length. It is a measuring device just as a micrometer or caliper. The contact surfaces must be CLEAN.
Pepe Ray

MBTcustom
04-25-2015, 12:36 AM
First, make sure you are using the right collet for the job. (Remember there are about 5 of them, and some of them are close but no cigar.)
Then make sure there is no lube in the collet face (spray it out real good with carburetor cleaner and you're golden)
I routinely grip the case with light pressure, insert the pilot into the case till the cutter makes contact, and spin the brass in the collet intentionally as I tighten the draw bar till the case stops spinning and the cutter takes it from there.
This insures clean gripping fingers as well as perfect alignment and a square/concentric cut on the case mouth.

EDG
04-25-2015, 11:15 AM
I have had this happen when I had annealed brass. The brass was soft and with a high feed pressure on the cutter it dug into the brass and overpowered the collet lock up. I was using a very powerful 20 volt lithium ion battery powered drill by DeWalt.
Using my normal little Makita drill it would begin to stall and I would let up on the feed pressure. I never had that problem by hand or with the light duty drill.