PDA

View Full Version : Sellier & Bellot Primers?

SlippShodd
04-24-2015, 02:28 PM
Anybody got any experience with them?
Cabela's is advertising them as a doorbuster for Saturday, May 2nd, for $17.99/thousand. I've never used them, was wondering if they were an acceptable alternative to the usual suspects. I'm not a big fan of S&B brass, so my caution flag is up.
Thanks.

mike

jmort
04-24-2015, 02:37 PM
I like them. I would love to get some S & B primers at that price.

kfarm
04-24-2015, 03:03 PM
Heard some say they are larger in dia than others. I got 10,000 by fed up today. I miked them and they fall in with the others I had. The results are at my shop, I'll get them later and post the sizes.

1johnlb
04-24-2015, 03:12 PM
As long as their not pulled mil surp their good at least the LR are. The cheapest that I've found them is $19/1000.

williamwaco
04-24-2015, 03:20 PM
At that price, go for it.

If you find them not up to standard, use them for plinking ammo.

I have shot a lot of their factory ammo and had good results.

Their brass is NOT up to our normal quality standards. When reloading, I lose about 10% on each loading.

gloob
04-24-2015, 03:30 PM
I have loaded 2k of their SPP. I have shot probably 1,500 of them so far. They have all gone bang. I feel like they seat the same as my Win and CCI primers.

odfairfaxsub
04-24-2015, 03:33 PM
They are the bomb

gloob
04-24-2015, 03:36 PM
I have loaded 2k of their SPP. I have shot probably 1,500 of them so far. They have all gone bang. I feel like they seat the same as my Win and CCI primers. They're not tight, like Russian primers.

Minor details: packaging is standard, about the same size as CCI packaging, except the only indication of what kind of primer is contained is a small print "SP" or "LR", etc, on the front of each box and sleeve (nothing on the ends/sides). So if you have more than one kind of SB primer, it might take awhile to find the right one! The primers are a mix of up/down in the trays, mostly with the anvils facing up, as is the case with Russian packaging. The cups are brass like Win, but they are polished and shiny. The radius of the cups is sharper than Win or CCI primers, kinda like Rem primers. This difference in cup is very obvious in assembled large primer ammo, making for easy visual identification between different loads. But it is not so obvious in assembled SPP ammo.

khmer6
04-24-2015, 03:54 PM
i hear lots of rumors. but i think they are g2g. similar to the wolf branded primers a few years back when everyone was basically trying to hussle the importer and get free primers. at 17.99 i'd go for some. they were 24.99 a couple of weeks ago at cabela's. Is this nationwide ad or something special? I have primers for quite some decades, but large rifle magnum is starting to run low

khmer6
04-24-2015, 03:59 PM
ha correction..... they are still 24.99

khmer6
04-24-2015, 04:03 PM
Heard some say they are larger in dia than others. I got 10,000 by fed up today. I miked them and they fall in with the others I had. The results are at my shop, I'll get them later and post the sizes.
I think those that say that are usually the ones trying to load SB or WCC brass which have TINY primer pockets.....

1911KY
04-24-2015, 04:17 PM
I just bought a box for $24.99 the other day, loaded up a 100 of them in LP but haven't shot any yet.

At $17.99 I would be buying several boxes!

kfarm
04-24-2015, 04:25 PM
I measured the diameter of all the small pistol primers I had, here is what I found.

Tula. .17510"
Winchester. .17490"
CCI. .17490"
Federal (match). .17455"
S&B. .17445"

Looks like the S&B are a tad smaller.

MrWolf
04-24-2015, 08:44 PM
I have used both small and large with no problems.

SlippShodd
04-24-2015, 08:57 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I was a little hesitant because I had a few hiccups with Wolf primers... kinda put me off of anything not Win, Rem, Fed, CCI. For the price I might make the trek and put up with the crowds.
The ad is for a doorbuster sale Saturday, May 2, 8:00a.m. to 1:00p.m. Dunno why they mailed it out so early, but there it was in my mailbox today. They also gots basic 10-22s for $200, which isn't bad these days (no ammo though, lol).
Thanks again, y'all are great.

mike

khmer6
04-24-2015, 08:59 PM
was it the SPP wolf primers you had issues with? or LPP?

runfiverun
04-24-2015, 09:19 PM
Mike you talking about the Cabella's opening in Ammon? [I.F.]

if they are opening on the second I might make the trip up there to look the place over.

khmer6
04-24-2015, 09:22 PM
awwwwww i knew it would be too good to be true. one store only for new opening i presume?

ReloaderFred
04-24-2015, 09:58 PM
I've gone through 10,000 of the S&B Small Pistol primers and have had zero problems with them. In fact, I like them.

Hope this helps.

Fred

firebrick43
04-25-2015, 02:04 AM
I measured the diameter of all the small pistol primers I had, here is what I found.

Tula. .17510"
Winchester. .17490"
CCI. .17490"
Federal (match). .17455"
S&B. .17445"

Looks like the S&B are a tad smaller.

what did you measure with? An optical comparator? Zeiss cmm?

USMC87
04-25-2015, 08:40 AM
S&B primers do the same job for me as any others, Our Cabelas has them in stock for 24.99 which is still a better buy than the others.

kfarm
04-25-2015, 09:55 AM
"what did you measure with? An optical comparator? Zeiss cmm?"

WOW,is that sarcasm or what. Sure seems so but I used a 1" Mitutoyo Digimatic IP65 digital micrometer. Just trying to helpful.

Beagle333
04-25-2015, 10:04 AM
Good price on em. I wish we had a Cabelas anywhere around here.

A pause for the COZ
04-25-2015, 10:19 AM
I have 5000 of the SRP's I have not had any problems in full power loads or fast powder cast boolit loads. All have went bang as expected.

I did have had a issue when using them in 223 cast bullet loads with a lighter charge of slower powder.
Had a few fail to fire. Those loads needed a SRP mag primer.
So as long as you are not pushing the edges, They are fine.

John Boy
04-25-2015, 10:31 AM
It amazes me that CZ company, Seller & Bellot has been in business since the 1850's. They are one of the major suppliers of primers in the International market ... and no one is whining over there that S&B primers are inferior for cup hardness or hard seating in cases. S&B's seat easily using the Lee Auto Primer - a single stage seater and in a Dillon 550B ... and have never had one that didn't go Bang
I have had more issues with Remington primers and I reload a couple thousand rounds a year!
PS: The cup hardness of S&B SP & LP are the same as Federal GM150 Match!

A pause for the COZ
04-25-2015, 10:34 AM
was it the SPP wolf primers you had issues with? or LPP?

I believe that Wolf sent out a whole shipment of primers that were miss labeled.
Standard SRP's in mag primer boxes.
And SRP mag in boxes labeled Large pistol. I have some.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_9722_zps4mqe3c7z.jpg

SlippShodd
04-25-2015, 11:57 AM
Mike you talking about the Cabella's opening in Ammon? [I.F.]
if they are opening on the second I might make the trip up there to look the place over.

Sorry, Lamar, looks like your Ammon store doesn't open until May 14th, according to their map.
And I doubt this is a one-store-only promotion... have to wait and see what the general nationwide ads say next week. I think I get the ads early because of their Club membership. The flyer itself that the doorbuster ad was wrapped around doesn't go into effect until 4/30. I hope they give me a job after all this advertising I'm doing for them... :)

As to the Wolf primer issues I had, it was with small rifle magnum primers and a series of hangfires. I have some different test rounds loaded with them that I need to get out and shoot, but those initial tests were not very confidence inspiring. I may email Wolf and see if they'll replace the remainder.

mike

firebrick43
04-25-2015, 03:16 PM
"what did you measure with? An optical comparator? Zeiss cmm?"

WOW,is that sarcasm or what. Sure seems so but I used a 1" Mitutoyo Digimatic IP65 digital micrometer. Just trying to helpful.

Yes it was sarcasm. I am sorry for that. As a machinist used to tolerances down to +\-8 microns which is +\- .0003" it sort of pisses me off when people list measurements down to .0005 using calipers or .00005 using mics. Now I know it's not really their fault but the manufactures fault. Mitutoyo seems to be the worst. I have several and they are good tools but no caliper is accurate to .0005 and very few mics are accurate to .00005". Mitutoyo should put that last digit on their digital tools. Only mics that are that precise are super precision gage lab mics(huge) and some tesa/brown and sharpe indicating micrometers

http://www.inspection.ie/media/catalog/product/cache/2/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/8/28-07-2013_22-32-07.jpg

Even they need a gage block to set at your current temp as they are more of a comparator.

The heat from your hand or any temp from 72 degrees will affect measurements. I don't think that brass cups (primers) period could be truly measured accurately with a micrometer as the brass will deflect as they are closed and the deflection would vary between brands depending on thickness and hardness of the brass cup.
Hence the optical comparator would be required.

To check the parts I machine we have a million dollar Zeus cmm in a climate controlled and pressurized room. It's accurate down to 1 micron. (.00004"). Even it will read a tenth of a micron (.000004") however if you run the check 5 times you are likely to get 5 different readings to the tenth position. Some engineer will wig out that a part is .0032 (3.2 microns) when the tolerance is 3 microns. It takes a lot of arguing and time to prove to them to show that the tenth of a micron position is not accurate.

firebrick43
04-25-2015, 03:32 PM
O, be careful with that mitutoyo mic. I have a 7-8" one that is used out at a lathe to measure the outside diameter. One day I noticed that the measurements were not matching the Zeiss report. We check the gage standard at the start of the shift and at 7" the digital screen is origined. Well the part is nearly 8" so the mic is opened up. The barrel is in inches but we are measuring in mm. So we didn't notice the discrepancy on measurement. Luckily the tolerance on this feature is quite large as it's just for clearance. Off to the gage lab it went. They are still trying to figure out how to get the digital screen to match the barrel at the point. The barrel is accurate to lab gage blocks but the digital display is not except at the gage standard length.

gloob
04-25-2015, 03:40 PM
it sort of pisses me off when people list measurements down to .0005 using calipers or .00005 using mics.
When I list my caliper measurements, I put the extra effort to write it as 0.401 1/2, rather than .4015, to make it clear that my measurement only has resolution down to half a mil. Accuracy is a whole other matter.

Virginia John
04-25-2015, 03:45 PM
I would love to get them for that price.

ffries61
04-25-2015, 05:28 PM
Graf's has them for 24.99$ a K or 116.99 for 5K, Powder Valley is 22$ a K, but their shipping is higher, don'tknow which one figures cheaper, I live in KS so PV has to charge me sales tax, so I get them from Graf's, they have 7.95$ flat rate shipping(plus HazMat of course).

Fred

truckerdave397
04-25-2015, 06:00 PM
what did you measure with? An optical comparator? Zeiss cmm?
I can eye ball them that close with a good yard stick.

kfarm
04-25-2015, 07:55 PM
Some pondering ( long post )

Most of us are ordinary people with a common goal doing the best we can, as for me I'm just a row crop farmer (retired) not a uber professional who got their panties in a wad and feel they need to put the rest of us in our ordinary place.

Well you certainly put me in my place, a place which I guess you felt necessary to put me in.

Please disregard the measurements I posted or any measurements that I may post as they won't come up to your super duper equipment.

I agree that the micrometer I used is not the best, but its the best I have and I have found out that its good for me and for what most of us do.

The reason I listed the measurements to 5 places and not round off was to show the relative diameter of the different primers I had on hand. And since the discussion on S&B primers possibility being a different size than the common types we normally use.

This forum has more information for the cast bullet shooting community than any other place and I appreciate the information furnished by members. And yes I do my own research and make decisions accordingly as should everyone.

So instead of unnecessary criticism, sarcasm and uncalled for putdowns you should take this for what it is, a shooting forum a gathering of like minded people sharing common information.

73's to you and yours. Carroll

firebrick43
04-25-2015, 09:29 PM
This forum has more information for the cast bullet shooting community than any other place and I appreciate the information furnished by members. And yes I do my own research and make decisions accordingly as should everyone.

So instead of unnecessary criticism, sarcasm and uncalled for putdowns you should take this for what it is, a shooting forum a gathering of like minded people sharing common information.

Maybe you missed the part where I said sorry and didn't blame you but the manufactures of metrology devices that try to infer accuracy by extra decimal places but in reality is not possible (nor in their specs).

So you don't want me to use sarcasm or put downs but call me an uber professional with my panties in a wad???

I was using my experience to educate you and other in my second description but evidently my apology wasn't enough. Or do you only want experience that doesn't contradict what you believe to be true?

As the son of a "simple" row crop, I am surprised to hear someone that has to manage millions in equipment and land, have to know soil sciences, mechanics, and commodities markets refer to themselves as so simple. Just 2 percent of the pop farm making you uncommonly successful and important to all of us.

Another simple farmer trained me as a machinist and I am eternally grateful for that.

kfarm
04-25-2015, 10:32 PM
Ok, enough of the put downs and sarcasm. I'll admit I was a little short with your response (well maybe more than a little) but you have to admit that you came on a little strong. I think that if your first response would have had a bit of humor in it I'd not even have thought anything about it. Whereas I felt like the put down of simple tools that the majority of shooters would have is like (years ago) I was once told to test for traces of lead in the local water works (I worked as a civil engineer). When none was found the local heath department mandated we get a better gas chromatograph, I did, still found none. They insisted on yet a better chromatograph to find something that didn't exist. After the third unit they admitted no equipment existed at that time that was sensitive enough to find a none existing substance but we would have to get one once technology developed new test equipment. Turns out 30 years later equipment still not sensitive to find nothing. One of these days we will have equipment so sensitive it will find nothing. Don't know why I told that but our conversation made me remember. I'll not criticize you for being uber if you don't criticize for me reading my Japanese micrometer. Now let's get back to casting, loading and shooting. But you have to agree that looking at my readings the S&B's are a tad smaller and Tula's larger even if I got 1 maybe 2 decimal points extra. But its like reading 3+ places on a old worn out 10" log log slide rule with the numbers worn off. And that's the truth.
73's, Carroll

firebrick43
04-26-2015, 01:11 AM
It's really hard to convey emotion with the written word. I wasnt trying to put down simple tools. It wasn't my intent. One of my hobbies is woodworking with all hand tools (except a track saw for long rips) and another is hobby farm with draft horses. Some people at work call me Amish for that. It's more For the disconnect really for being surrounded all day by technology. Don't even own a smart phone. Hell when most are standing around coming up with ideas on how to fixture up an odd part to repair I'll grab a caping chisel and a file and be done with it.

What makes primer cups hard to measure (IMHO) accurately with standard metrology equipment available to most reloaders also makes it really not that important. By design the cup is flexible and as long as you can seat it without it falling out or crushing it all is well. Force required to seat different brands can be your comparator as long as you don't throw in other variables such as different brands of brass.

gloob
04-26-2015, 06:34 PM
It's good to have as many decimal places as possible. Is the absolute measurement down to the fifth place accurate? Most likely not, unless by sheer coincidence. But since he directly compared between different primers, using the same instrument, and in the same setting, and using the same methodology, and perhaps even averaging several measurements or at least doublechecking them once, then yes. It is relevent, useful, and appreciated information to me. The instrument can resolve things to that small a degree, and that gives it meaning, even if the absolute accuracy is off.

Pass along the reading to the rest of us. All of it. We can each, individually, decide how much salt to put on it. I can tell the instrument resolves to only a twentieth of a mil by the 0/5 on the end of every measurement, for instance.

wrench man
04-27-2015, 01:00 AM
Holding the add in my grubby paw right now, the sale seems to be good at all the Cabela's stores?, my add is good for the Springfield and Tualatin Oregon stores, saw them on the shelf for the first time this afternoon?

ukrifleman
04-27-2015, 02:15 PM
I trialled some 6.5x55 loads for my M96 Swede, using a mix of CCI 200 and S&B L/R primers.

Of the 8 test loads I produced with each brand of primer, the CCI loads were consistently slightly faster but, the S&B primers gave a much tighter extreme spread.

The most accurate load was with S&B primers.

All the test loads were loaded into Privi brass.

ukrifleman.

gsdelong
04-27-2015, 07:10 PM
Just my experience but the large pistol could not be seated with my Lee hand prime. Tried both speer and winchester 45 acp brass and starlineg 10mm. Did not make sense to me how can the brass have small prmer pockets and the primers be over sized. Primed almost 3000 pieces with Remington and federal primers with no problems.

Tallbald
04-30-2015, 10:39 PM
A local place will be having S and B primers on sale, in "limited quantities" soon for like $17 a thousand. Always have used Winchester and CCI because the Lee hand primer I use says to in my instructions. But at $17 a thousand I may try to snag some. European primers I'm told are sometimes a little different in dimensions or hardness. Anyone have experience with the S and B product who would care to comment? Thanks as always. Don

pworley1
04-30-2015, 10:48 PM
All the brands will be different. You may like them better or you may not like them at all. I have used them and have been pleased with them. So far they have all gone bang when they should. At that price I would get them.

aspangler
04-30-2015, 11:16 PM
I use them. They all go bang. No trouble with them but you may have to work your load up for them.

Tallbald
04-30-2015, 11:18 PM
Yeah the price is very good. And if needed, I can prime on my press instead of with the hand primer. "While supplies last" always makes me suspicious too. Might be like trying to snag .22 LR nowadays. Thanks. Don

blikseme300
05-01-2015, 08:09 PM
At that price it is worth working up loads for it.

kryogen
05-01-2015, 09:39 PM
100% success on the 2000 i have shot... They go bang.

Tallbald
05-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Well I got there early (a blowout sale I think they called it) and snagged 2000 small pistol and 1000 large pistol primers for $57.31 out the door. I look forward to trying them out. Thanks for the help. Don.

SlippShodd
05-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Well, I went, I got 4,000 primers that I wanted. LP and SR were already gone when I got there (8:05)... probably the guy with 10,000+ in his basket. At 8:15 they restocked... no more LPs, I snagged a box of SRs and left.
The 9mm ammo at $11 a box was leaving by the shopping cart load. It was not quite Black Friday-esque. :)

mike

pastime
05-03-2015, 12:02 AM
I picked up a few thousand S&B SP primers at about 3:00 AM Saturday. Checked back for a friend at 8:00 PM and they were sold out of the SP primers.

daniel lawecki
05-03-2015, 01:55 AM
Cabela's in Dundee Michigan had them on sale Saturday for 17.99 per thousand.

jcw1970
05-03-2015, 04:33 AM
Cabela's should have put a limit on them. Glad they didn't though, I picked up 20k. The 9mm was going faster than the primers.

jonp
05-03-2015, 01:18 PM
I bought 5K SPP at Graf's for $116. I've used them in my 14-4 and they go bang. No problems seating them either, they appear to be about the same as others in this application

Salter70
05-04-2015, 12:26 AM
Let us know about your experience compared to the Winchester.

leadman
05-04-2015, 01:11 AM
I want to try some of these as the ammo they make is very clean. Don't know if it primers or powder, or both doing this.

Ola
05-04-2015, 05:11 AM
There is some old threads about S&B primers. Read those and you'll have your answer.

gloob
05-07-2015, 06:08 PM
I want to try some of these as the ammo they make is very clean. Don't know if it primers or powder, or both doing this.
I have shot some miraculous PMC 40SW ammo. The spent cases looked like they were wet-tumbled, inside and out! I bet this has more to do with the powder than the primer, but who knows?

Rolling Stone
05-09-2015, 11:38 PM
Interesting take on measuring these little sheet metal things. It seems someone should chime in and say that since the primers were made in Europe, they were made using the metric system that our government has decreed to be much more precise than the old fashioned decimal system. I worked in a gage lab that was 2nd only to the bureau of standards in Washington DC. I calibrated many optical comparators and none that was used in our A bomb plant at the time was certified better than .001. Thats right folks, about like plastic vernier calipers. When you have as many moving parts on a machine, they must all return to the original "0" and I'll opine that when you start moving and changing the optics on these beasts for greater magnification that is one mess. I understand that you should use the same magnification from start to finish but then you are using scribed lines on the screen and different peoples vision. Like I said, almost as precise as a plastic vernier. I think the engineer with the mikes did a fantastic job and he should be congratulated for the work and for sharing. I have written this with tongue firmly in cheek, so let's' all let it go now and enjoy cheap primers for a change.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-12-2015, 09:34 PM
was at Cabelas today a hundred mile trip away but we were only a few blocks away for other reasons they had them for 19.99 I bought 3k, good to hear most people have no problem with them I am not asking a lot book starting load in a 40 and 9mm and 3 inch plate at 30 feet accuracy with a load that already does it primer will be the only change I got 3k for less than the price of 2k of the Winchesters , and they were out of cci small pistol

I have my next 3k in components waing to be assembled now and a load that I am liking a bunch I only make 2-300 at a time any way incase I wan to ry something else if these work good for me I can see buying a hole bunch more

Schrag4
06-12-2015, 10:36 PM
I bought 4k when they had that sale in early May. I've only loaded up a couple hundred so far, but seating has been as easy as CCI with mixed brass (9mm) on my LCT and they've all gone bang so far. I know that's a small sample, but so far so good.

khmer6
06-14-2015, 11:41 PM
Too bad it's only small and large pistol primers on sale. Ive given up small pistol primers and only stash small rifle now. Saves me space and allows me to stack em deep

.50bmg
06-14-2015, 11:49 PM
I have used both small and large with no problems.

chucky64
06-16-2015, 01:12 AM
I bought 5000 spm, because that was all that was available at the height of the primer shortage. I have had nothing but problems with this batch of SB primers. Yes the primers have all been hand seated to the correct parameters, but in my striker fired weapons I was experiencing multiple ftf in every shooting session. The rounds were struck a second time and most often they fired on the second strike. If they didnt fire on the second strike, I set the round aside and later on when a hammer gun was used they
were succesfully discharged. I am still sitting on the last thousand SB spm not wanting to use them because of the PITA factor. I will save them until the next primer shortage and use them for 38 spcl loads
because the SW 686 will fire all except one or two per range session. Because of my problems I would
never recommend SB primers to anyone. I see the full shelves of SB primers @ Cabelas , I just pass them by and pay the extra for Win or Fed primers.

ReloaderFred
06-16-2015, 12:35 PM
"Yes the primers have all been hand seated to the correct parameters"

Are you sure you've set the anvil into the priming pellet? I seat primers -.004"/-.005" below flush, and I've yet to have an S&B primer (or any other brand of primer) fail to go off in any of my firearms that haven't been highly tuned for match use only. For my match guns, I only use Federal or MagTech primers, due to the lightened hammer springs, but for all my standard firearms (over 100 of them) primers that are properly seated go off, and that's striker fired, hammer fired, etc.

Primers detonating on the second or third strike is a sure indication that they weren't seated properly to the bottom of the primer pocket the first time. The first strike of the hammer is simply seating the primer the rest of the way, and the second strike is hitting a properly seated primer at that point.

Hope this helps.

Fred

jeepyj
06-16-2015, 01:52 PM
"Yes the primers have all been hand seated to the correct parameters"

Are you sure you've set the anvil into the priming pellet? I seat primers -.004"/-.005" below flush, and I've yet to have an S&B primer (or any other brand of primer) fail to go off in any of my firearms that haven't been highly tuned for match use only. For my match guns, I only use Federal or MagTech primers, due to the lightened hammer springs, but for all my standard firearms (over 100 of them) primers that are properly seated go off, and that's striker fired, hammer fired, etc.

Primers detonating on the second or third strike is a sure indication that they weren't seated properly to the bottom of the primer pocket the first time. The first strike of the hammer is simply seating the primer the rest of the way, and the second strike is hitting a properly seated primer at that point.

Hope this helps.

Fred
I don't know if it helped Chucky64 but it helped me!
Thank you,
jeepyj

ReloaderFred
06-16-2015, 02:28 PM
jeepyj,

I'm afraid a lot of reloaders aren't totally familiar with what takes place in the priming process. They figure that if the primer is seated "flush" they're good to go, but that may leave the legs of the anvil a couple thousandths short of the bottom of the primer pocket. This just cushions the firing pin blow and the primer can't go off, no matter the brand of primer being used. The primer pellet has to be contacted by the anvil, and the anvil has to be solidly contacting the bottom of the pocket for all this to work.

In reloading well over 800,000 rounds of ammunition, I've only found two bad primers that I can remember. One had no priming compound, and the other was missing an anvil. That's almost beyond statistical computation, though I'm sure someone will go to the trouble of mashing the numbers for us. Personally, I'm amazed that out of the millions and millions of primers produced annually, that the quality control is as good as it is. In fact, I'm really, really appreciative for the care used in making them, since without a good primer, powder is just fertilizer and bullets are just fishing weights.........

Hope this helps.

Fred

Wayne Smith
06-16-2015, 02:59 PM
Fred, that's not all of it. American primer producers leave the anvil proud of the compound and our seating the primer actually seats the anvil on the compound. Russian primers do not do this, they seat the anvil on the compound and we have to seat those completely to get them to go bang.

Virginia John
06-16-2015, 03:08 PM
I find S&B to be good. Their brass does have a tight primer pocket.

ReloaderFred
06-16-2015, 03:38 PM
Wayne Smith,

I know about the differences, but I was trying to keep the explanation as short as possible. I don't buy Russian anything, since I grew up in the 1950's, when ol' Nikita was telling us he was going to burn the U.S. to the ground and we had "duck and cover" drills in school weekly. I'm not the forgiving type. In fact, I'm still mad at the Japanese for trying to kill my Dad at Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal and all through the South Pacific...........

Fred

gunauthor
09-21-2015, 05:03 PM
I went to our new Cabelas today and wanted to buy some Sellier and Bellot small pistol primers (much less expensive than other brands they carry). I found two different varieties labeled SR and LR (small rifle-large rifle?) and both said they were for use in pistols, revolvers, and rifles. Am I missing something? I was always told to use rifle primers for rifles and pistol primers for handguns. Needless to say, I left without buying anything (the staff was no help, couldn't find anybody familiar with S&B primers). Anyone have success with this arrangement?

Mike Z
09-21-2015, 07:33 PM
From their website
http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/en/product/components/primers/

gunauthor
09-21-2015, 09:52 PM
Mike, thanks for the info.

Gunny K.
07-22-2018, 07:52 AM
Wayne Smith,

I know about the differences, but I was trying to keep the explanation as short as possible. I don't buy Russian anything, since I grew up in the 1950's, when ol' Nikita was telling us he was going to burn the U.S. to the ground and we had "duck and cover" drills in school weekly. I'm not the forgiving type. In fact, I'm still mad at the Japanese for trying to kill my Dad at Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal and all through the South Pacific...........

Fred

I take some offence to your statement. Sellier and Bellot is not Russian but Czech. I am Czech and have spent 28 years in the US Marines because of my dislike of the Soviets also. The Czechs withstood Russian occupation, ruthlessness and torment much more than you can even imagine despite your duck-N-cover drills. But anyways on the subject of primers, I have now loaded some thousands of the LR primers and I use them in 8mm Mauser and my 7.62 x 45 Czech cartridges and have not had a SINGLE misfire. Matter of fact my groupings with these cartridges have tightened up from using Federal, CCI and Winchester primers. The most important thing to remember with them, as has been mentioned before on this thread, is proper seating. If you do not seat them all the way and you have a light striker on your weapon, you may get a misfire. So far I have used them exclusively in 93, 95 and 98 Mauser actions without failure. These actions are both stock military and also fully sportarized. I will try them also in my Thompson Contender with my .307Win barrel and see what results I get. That is about as light of a striker as you can find in my collection.
P.S.
Fred;
Never call a Ukrainian a Russian either if you do not want a black eye. They hated Stalin more than you ever could.

JimB..
07-22-2018, 10:15 AM
I take some offence to your statement. Sellier and Bellot is not Russian but Czech. I am Czech and have spent 28 years in the US Marines because of my dislike of the Soviets also. The Czechs withstood Russian occupation, ruthlessness and torment much more than you can even imagine despite your duck-N-cover drills. But anyways on the subject of primers, I have now loaded some thousands of the LR primers and I use them in 8mm Mauser and my 7.62 x 45 Czech cartridges and have not had a SINGLE misfire. Matter of fact my groupings with these cartridges have tightened up from using Federal, CCI and Winchester primers. The most important thing to remember with them, as has been mentioned before on this thread, is proper seating. If you do not seat them all the way and you have a light striker on your weapon, you may get a misfire. So far I have used them exclusively in 93, 95 and 98 Mauser actions without failure. These actions are both stock military and also fully sportarized. I will try them also in my Thompson Contender with my .307Win barrel and see what results I get. That is about as light of a striker as you can find in my collection.
P.S.
Fred;
Never call a Ukrainian a Russian either if you do not want a black eye. They hated Stalin more than you ever could.

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your service. FWIW, if you spend any time on the internet at all you’ll find current posts that offend you, no need to dig up old stuff :-)

mdi
07-22-2018, 11:21 AM
Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your service. FWIW, if you spend any time on the internet at all you’ll find current posts that offend you, no need to dig up old stuff :-)

Amen...

ReloaderFred
07-22-2018, 11:47 AM
Gunny K.,

I wasn't referring to S&B primers as being Russian in this old thread. I know the difference, and I've also loaded about 25,000 of the S&B primers, mostly in small pistol. They're good primers. You just need to read the previous posts in the thread to get what the conversation was about.

And Welcome to the forum.

Semper Fi (1965-1971)

Fred