PDA

View Full Version : New use for re-formed 22 LR case

Idz
04-24-2015, 11:53 AM
I've been working on a gas furnace in one of my apartments that had two problems: 1) pilot light kept going out 2) booming when furnace lights. The delayed-ignition boom was caused by corrosion in the burner orifices reducing gas flow and was solved by reaming out the orifices to the correct size. Since pilot light orifices also get clogged I took it apart to inspect it and discovered the orifice was missing completely. Apparently some past 'repairman' had taken it apart and lost the orifice. As luck would have it, a 22 LR case almost fits the pilot burner. I trimmed down the case, drilled a 0.040" (smallest drill I had, should be about 0.02") in the base, annealed the neck, and used my neck flaring tool to expand the neck to seal in the pilot burner. I now get a nice blue pilot flame that stays lit. Glad I saved a bunch of those 22 LR cases just in case I found a use for them.

flyingmonkey35
04-24-2015, 01:09 PM
Head line news !!

Repair man blows up apartment building buy jamming a bullet in the furnace! Insurance fraud investigation underway.

[emoji13] [emoji13]

skeettx
04-24-2015, 08:07 PM
Idz
Thanks for sharing
A real neat fix
You New Mexico fellas really know how to live !!
Sweet
Mike

Ken in Iowa
04-25-2015, 09:21 AM
That sounds pretty innovative. I spent many years as a furnace and AC repairman. You need to think outside the box quite often.

Is is this an LP or nat gas furnace?

Idz
04-25-2015, 06:59 PM
natural gas, forced air, rated about 100,000 BTU/hr input.