PDA

View Full Version : DIY Stuck Case Remover.

HABCAN
03-13-2008, 07:09 PM
DIY STUCK CASE EXTRACTOR.

Yeah, I know, you will NEVER need this……………but you might. Most of us who have been in the reloading game for a while have stuck an insufficiently-lubed case in a sizing die and proceeded to pull the rim off it. RCBS sells a very fine little kit to get you out of trouble, but it costs US$20. Of course, if you misplace the factory kit when you need it, you might want to be able to put one together on Saturday night, and for half the cost, or less, you can make your own.

Obtain, as in, get, scrounge, find or even BUY a ¾” ‘close nipple’ and a ¾” pipe cap. I chose galvanized. Also obtain a ¼” x 3” standard hex-head machine bolt, a #7 HSS drill bit, and a standard ¼” x 20TPI tap.

Drill a 5/16” hole in the center of the pipe cap and assemble it tightly to the close nipple.

As with the RCBS kit, if you tear the rim off a case in your sizer die, remove the decapping assembly, drill out the primer pocket hole with the #7 drill, and tap it with your ¼” x 20TPI tap.

Set the base of your die into the open end of the close nipple, push the ¼” x 3” hex-head machine bolt through the 5/16” hole in the cap and thread it into the stuck case.

When the machine bolt bottoms (heads?) against the pipe cap, it will then extract your stuck case just as if it was a real RCBS thingy!

CAUTION! As most dies almost fit into a ¾” close nipple, you might want to give the die threads some masking tape or other protection if that stuck case is really stuck!

HABCAN

Johnw...ski
03-14-2008, 06:09 AM
No one here will ever need that advise...................ever...............well maybe......

....sometime...............damn, just forgot to lube that case.

Thanks for some good advise.

John

Reloader06
03-14-2008, 12:22 PM
An elegantly simple solution to a problem that everyone else has.[smilie=1: Nice job.

Matt

Sprue
03-14-2008, 12:49 PM
I just Drill & Tap the primer pocket, find the appropriate socket that fits over the case head yet seats on the die. Thread a 1/4"x1" bolt (w/couple washers) into the case and waalaa.

Shiloh
03-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Great Idea. I needed it last night.

I wound up disassembling my die and drilling out the primer pocket to put a piece of coat hanger in. I drove out the collet with the expander ball that holds the de-capper pin as it came out.
I mounted the sizer die back in the press and used a good size nail in the case mouth and literally pounded the case out.

Your way sounds better.

Shiloh

osage
03-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Sure wish I had know about this forum when I stuck my first case. :(

GrayTech
03-08-2015, 01:33 AM
I also use the drill and tap method. But I have a bolt with the head turned down to fit in my press ram in place of the shell holder. Replace die in press, place bolt in ram, screw into drilled and tapped case and pull.

Motor
03-08-2015, 01:59 AM
Sure wish I had know about this forum when I stuck my first case. :(

Well this is why you see so many people telling new reloaders to buy and read the manual. I dare say every major reloading manual covers stuck cases.

I just cringe when I read suggestions about "removing this and that then using a punch" etc.

A "stuck case remove kit" like the RCBS or home put together is the best and safest to the die way of removing a stuck case.

I've had my RCBS kit since about day one in 1985. I have used it twice, once for me and once for my friend. Both times it was a routine procedure. As the OP states its a simple tool and fairly easy to make.

Motor

lightman
03-08-2015, 11:16 AM
Years ago when I stuck my first case I had never seen a stuck case remover. Not having a clue, I just bought one. After seeing it, I had everything that was needed in the shop. It did come in a plastic die box which makes it east to store. You guys that figger it out without ever seeing one have my respect!

RickF
03-08-2015, 11:31 AM
I just Drill & Tap the primer pocket, find the appropriate socket that fits over the case head yet seats on the die. Thread a 1/4"x1" bolt (w/couple washers) into the case and waalaa.

This is how I've always done it also.

CastingFool
03-08-2015, 05:46 PM
Years ago, when I worked in a machine shop and ran a lathe, I made a couple of stuck case removers, a la RCBS. I still have them, and fortunately, I have never had to use them. I think the idea of using a socket, a 1/4"-20 bolt and couple of washers is excellent.

Steve Steven
03-08-2015, 07:42 PM
I built my stuck case puller with a piece of 1/2IPS steel pipe (.840 OD), with the end rebated to 3/4" to fit on the end of die, with a R4A bearing (3/4x1/4x9/32) inserted into the other end (rebated to take the 3/4" OD of the bearing also). I use a 1/4-28 tap and screw to get more leverage pulling the case. Bearing cost about $6 on Amazon.

Steve

james nicholson
03-08-2015, 08:12 PM
Not to tell my age, but I bought the RCBS kit after sticking my first case, I paid $6.99 for it. 1965 money was a lot harder to get ahold of. Have only had to use it, on my stuff, twice more. I have loaned it many times over.