PDA

View Full Version : Italian copies of the Python...

Phineas Bluster
04-23-2015, 09:45 PM
Deleted

Beagle333
04-23-2015, 09:48 PM
I like Italian guns. I'd buy one.

bedbugbilly
04-23-2015, 10:17 PM
I have a real one and don't really care for it - rather shoot my old Smith M & P. For those that like 'em though . . . that Italian one looks pretty decent. Wonder what they will sell for though . . . that will be the deciding point as to whether they will be "accepted" or not I would think? And . . . will the final production models look as good as the prototypes/samples?

waksupi
04-23-2015, 11:26 PM
Italy makes some fine firearms.

MtGun44
04-24-2015, 12:44 AM
Interesting. If they could get the accuracy the same as the best
of the real snakes, and the action as smooth. . . . I think they would sell well.

rintinglen
04-24-2015, 01:37 AM
I'll buy one-- I'm a sucker for V spring Colts.

pietro
04-24-2015, 06:35 AM

While a gennie Python is a Holy Grail gun for some collecting folks, IDT a clone would be.

Bigslug
04-24-2015, 09:22 AM
I think if it's a good DA revolver priced around or below Smiths and Rugers, and beats the Brazilians for quality, it'll sell on its merits as a DA revolver, and will sell to the increasingly aging pool of Colt fans. While they're slicker than snot, the Colt DA trigger feel was something you either preferred to the competitors, or didn't. I'll pass, but I'd pass on an all-but-free version of the real thing too.

It won't have the clone market of the old west guns: the Python didn't make much of a historical splash, and their only real selling point over K frames and Rugers was fit and finish. Hopefully, they'll make a functional and aesthetic copy that comes in for reasonable money. Otherwise, it's a Fiero under Ferrari-shaped fiberglass.

Rick Hodges
04-24-2015, 10:16 AM
Yep, never liked the original, why would I want an imitation. I never could get used to the hitch in the Colt double action trigger. Never saw one that could touch a good S&W K, L, or N frame.

Outpost75
04-24-2015, 10:38 AM
I don't know that the Pietta Brothers understand the nuances of how the Colt lockwork functions and the parts relate to each other. I could only count on the fingers of one hand US pistolsmiths who actually understand and competently work on Colts, Grant Cunningham, Sandy Garrett and Gerry Kieffer being three in particular I know and can recommend.

A wannabe Python look alike with modernized S&W L-frame or Ruger style lockwork has absolutely no appeal for me. A well executed Python clone, produced on modern CNC machinery could be produced, but there are not enough olf farts like me to support production quantities. The kids under age 60 who never carried a Colt on the job and learned DA technique on S&Ws would never buy one.

That being said, Sandy Garrett of Northern Virginia Gun Works is the only fellow I know who can set up an S&W N- or L-frame PPC gun, fit a Colt Python barrel and then actually make the DA action stack just like a Python. He did one for me!

No two-staging the trigger stuff. The only way to shot DA is to "Row The Boat!"

But youngsters don't even know what I am talking about.

A competently produced Python copy would have to sell at retail for $2000.

That is about 30% less than a fine original goes for on GunBroker.

roverboy
04-24-2015, 11:00 AM
They're probably ok, I guess. Some of the Italian companies made or make good guns.

Char-Gar
04-24-2015, 11:17 AM
When I was a youngster and just starting in handgun shooting, there was a never ending debate over which was better the Colt or the Smith and Wesson DA sixguns. I never could settled on one make, owning and enjoying both. To be certain they were different, in some ways, but I never could figure out how the differences made one better over the other.

Today, I still prefer DA sixguns over autoloaders and single actions, although I own all types. I own quite a few DA Smith and quite a few DA Colts (old lockwork) and enjoy them all. I don't indentify myself with either one.

Over the years, I have owned four (I think) Colt Pythons and never could hang onto one long term. I didn't find them superior to the other Colt DA sixguns in the same caliber. They did have a very shiny finish and the ribbed barrel, but that was about all I could tell and those didn't make them worth the extra bucks involved.

So, the answer is no, I would not buy an Italian Python clone, because I am not a fan of the Python to begin with.

My favorite old Colt is the Trooper (1956) which is nothing but a 4" barrel version of the Officers Model Match. They can be had in 38 Special and 357 Magnum. Here is mine along with my pet Official Police (1954).

dragon813gt
04-24-2015, 01:07 PM
I'd buy one and engrave Colt markings on it :)

robertbank
04-24-2015, 05:30 PM
I would pass. Pietta sells their SA guns about $100 less than the Ubertis up here and there is, to most that much difference in quality. Both are nice, Ubertis are just hat much nicer. While I have one old Colt DA in 41 LC, I have to say the Ruger GP-100 and S&W 686 are my eye candy right now. A must have in my gun safe and yet not here is a 5" Model 10. This summer for sure!

Take Care

Bob