PDA

View Full Version : Anyone every had lube mess up their powder in loaded rounds?

jhunter77
04-23-2015, 09:11 PM
just wondering with some of the softer lubes and hot summers does anyone have trouble with older rounds becoming duds due to the bullet lube? Thanks

GhostHawk
04-23-2015, 09:22 PM
Lots of solutions out there, just takes some time spent reading.

And check out Ben's Liquid Lube thread while your at it.

imashooter2
04-24-2015, 12:08 AM
It can happen. A beeswax based homemade lube melted and destroyed a few thousand .45 ACP that my Grampa loaded in the 60's and stored in an attic for 20 years before I tried to shoot them up.

I've never experienced any trouble taking ammo from my cool basement out into the heat to shoot, even with 8 - 10 hours between out of the basement and into the gun.

gloob
04-24-2015, 05:47 PM
I have watched my MBC bullet lube melt and leak out from the cases under the afternoon sun. I try to be more careful as to how much ammo I lay out when I'm shooting, now. No duds, yet.

Geezer in NH
04-26-2015, 09:15 PM
Nope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! TO LET ME POST

jhunter77
04-26-2015, 11:20 PM
Anyone else? Thanks for all the advice

Newboy
04-27-2015, 08:27 AM
Yes, I usually load a lot at one time. So, I have loaded ammunition sitting for a year or so in my garage.
I have had the bullet lube separate and contaminate my loads.

I went to powder coating for this reason.

Ohio3Wheels
05-06-2015, 03:26 PM
I've not had a problem with smokeless going south but I did have some BP loads get messed up by the beeswax cookie when they sat in the sun on the bench. As someone said earlier I a little more carefull about ammo location on the bench now.

Curt

gwpercle
05-06-2015, 03:57 PM
In my experience no. I use soft lubes, beeswax and lithium grease, but I don't store them in a hot attic or the car glove compartment in hot august sun. After loading, I place them in a bullet box, nose down. Keep them in the house until we go to the range.
Keeping them nose down and away from heat seems to just about do away with this problem. Even at the range, nose down will keep lube away from powder. Not much you can do about black powder and beeswax cookie, it's between boolit base and powder...stay out of the sun ?
Been doing smokeless since 1967 without any contamination.
Gary