PDA

View Full Version : sticky lee

twc1964
04-23-2015, 04:58 PM
Ok fellow lee users, i have a problem. I bought a used 2 cav .356-125-2r mold and 1 cavity sticks horribly. I have to beat the heck out of it to release the boolit in the rear cav. I checked for burrs but dont see any. I smoked the mold and it helped slightly...maybe. front cav just drops right out. Ive taken to using the front cav only but thats too darn slow. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thx all

JSnover
04-23-2015, 05:06 PM
Try rubbing the edges with a cotton ball, see if it pulls any fiber out. If it does, you need to break that edge. Lightly stroke the edge of the cavity with a needle file, emery cloth, or something similar. You can't always see the burr.

too many things
04-23-2015, 05:16 PM
clean it with carb cleaner and wash with dawn and then look at second sticky at header

country gent
04-23-2015, 05:23 PM
Clean mould with dish soap and water let dry then with q tip or cotton ball check edges for burrs. If fibers are pulled out a pencil eraser will smooth them out with out metal removal. Also measure cavities with the depth rod of calipers check each side if they arnt close to even cavities are off center and hook the bullet at edge. Sometimes a light lapping with tooth paste or flitz helps also. Check bullets for bright spots on parting lines gives an idea of where the tight spots binding might be.

twc1964
04-23-2015, 05:56 PM
Ok guys, will do. I forgot about the cotton ball thing. Thx

MT Chambers
04-23-2015, 06:35 PM
If nothing works, check to make sure the cavity is centered, if it's not you are pooched, i've seen molds where one cav. was ok but the other was slightly offset.