PDA

View Full Version : Hello

sniper
03-13-2008, 06:15 PM
I am getting back into casting after an absence of at leats 20 years. From the looks of the posts, there are some dedicated casters here.

At present, I have an RCBS 150gr. double cavity mold, a lead dipper, the RCBS book of Cast Bullets, and a Lyman #47 manual, in addition to the Lee .358 in. sizer. I'll probably use wheel weights mostly.

Does anyone make a "Kake Cutter" anymore? Just in case I want to go back to melting lube in a pan.
Liquid Alox seems a better way to go. Is there a downside?

Back when I was into this, I used the RCBS 150 gr. mold with total satisfaction. I am thinking I'd like to go to a heavier bullet, ~about 170 gr. I have heard the "nose rider" design (probably not the right term) is very accurate.

It looks like Lee has one of those in its line up, but Lee molds??? I have heard not much good about the two holers. Are the 6 cavity any better?

Probably, I won't load my cast bullets much beyond 1,000 fps. I HATE leading, but am getting some from a batch of cast bullets I bought from a local business! That's why I am getting back into doing it myself.

Gas Checks: Necessary for below ~1200fps?

Furnaces...Are the Lee offerings worth the money? I assume the RCBS and Lyman are, but they are a bit beyond my budget for now.

Problem is, Lee doesn't make a .257 sizer, so, eventually, I will probably buy a sizer. Any recommendations?

Thanks. I am looking forward to doing this again.

DLCTEX
03-13-2008, 06:28 PM
I haven't even heard a Kake Kutter mentioned in a while. Most guys just punch the boolits out after the lube has cooled. or uses a contrived cutter like a cartridge case of the proper size or even an old golf club handle cut at thr step that fits the boolit. DALE

DLCTEX
03-13-2008, 06:42 PM
As to Lee molds, I have lots of them and have few problems with them. You do have to run the two cavity ones hotter than iron or even the six cavity Lee, and I definately recommend
that you get some Bullplate lube to use on the molds as this will solve most complaints. Find the thread for Leementing a mold and follow the steps to make the mold drop boolits easily, then there will be no need to beat the heck out of the mold to drop boolits. I don't understand the complaints that Lee doesn't stand up as well as some other named molds. Yes they will not take abuse as well , but the mold with handles costs 1/5 th as much as named molds with handles, so they can be replaced 5 times for the same money. If you change calibers you haven't lost much, used Lee molds seem to bring as much as new on Ebay. I can't say the same for other brands. DALE

HORNET
03-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Welcome to the fun, sniper (I can't believe that nobody'd snagged THAT name yet). Wander around, read the stickies for a refresher, ask questions if you want. There's LOTS of information available on here. You might want to sit back a ways on some threads if you're drinking anything, it CAN get messy.
Wheel weights and plain bases should do well for most of what itsounds like you're interested in. They can handle around 1200 fps fairly well IF THE FIT IS RIGHT. There are tricks that'll allow even more in some instances.
The Lee molds are useable with a little work and, as Dale said, they're cheap enough that you can replace them without any great sacrifice. a little care does wonders for their life expectancy.
The Lee pots are alright and the 4-20 is usually ecommended as a best buy. The temperature control is a little vague, but a thermometer helps you keep things under control for a lot less than the added cost for the other pots.
Lee Liquid Alox (AKA Frog Snot, Ear wax, etc.) works well for some people in some applications, others swear about and at it. You've kind of got to try it and see what happens in your application. It usually prevents leading at pistola speeds but sometimes others will give better accuracy. There are a LOT of other lubes described elsewhere on here that you can make and try for pan lubing, if you want. A fired case works about as well as a cake cutter.
Have fun. It can get addictive, though.
BTW, Lee will make custom push through sizers for a fairly reasonable price and many on here swear by those made by forum member Buckshot (PM him for price and lead time - I hear he's faster, cheaper, and better than Lee).

bullshot
03-13-2008, 07:37 PM
What Dale said--No problem with Lee two holers. I have used a Lee pot for years again with no problems. I wish I had as much lead as I put through the pot.

testhop
03-13-2008, 09:13 PM
welcome glad you join us
you never said what cal. you would be casting
after 20 years you are in for some sticker shock

floodgate
03-13-2008, 09:26 PM
Randy Davis at "The 310 Shop" <www.The310Shop.com> has custom made "Kake Cutters" to your exact diameter at $15 each; they look just like the ones Lyman used to offer, and those included in the old Lee pan-lube kits. Maybe a bit pricey, but they last forever; well worth it IMHO.

floodgate

sniper
03-14-2008, 12:26 PM
welcome glad you join us
you never said what cal. you would be casting
after 20 years you are in for some sticker shock

Thanks, testhop;:)

I will cast for my good ol' unexciting, plain vanilla, FUN 4" .357 Magnum, and maybe one day, find a good gascheck bullet/load for my 257 Roberts.

Sticker shock, you bet! right now, I think I am in information overload, as well.

I appreciate the suggestion, floodgate.

Now, someone mentioned Buckshot and his sizer dies; Will they fit on a press like the Lee sizer? It would be too much to think they might even use the red Lee receptacle, in addition.
I have to check that out.

dromia
03-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Welcome to the forums sniper and welcome back to the world of cast boolits.

PM Buckshot and he'll tell you what he does, he does push throughs a la Lee