PDA

View Full Version : 45LC/454 Best Dies

kf4zht
04-23-2015, 02:39 PM
Just picked up a ruger super redhawk in 454 and looking forward to getting some rounds loaded for it. Dies are confusing me, information seems to be varied and conflicting

Some say 45LC dies will do 454, you just have to back the expander and seater out.
Some say 454 will work on 45LC, just turn the seater die down

The first one makes the most sense, but I want to make sure

In addition several people have mentioned that some brands of dies have sizing issues. Specifically I have seen Lee mentioned.

What are the best dies for the money and what is the official word on 45-454 or 454-45?

Tackleberry41
04-23-2015, 03:14 PM
Don't see why 45 lc dies wouldn't work w 454, its not much different in length. Lee sells their FCD die lists it as 45lc and 454. I know when I went to get some 44 dies, lee had a specific 44mag die set and a 44 spcl that would also do 44 mag.

Tatume
04-23-2015, 03:32 PM
For full-power ammunition the 454 Casull needs more neck tension than the 45 Colt. The original technique for loading the cartridge called for using a 45 ACP sizing die and 45 Colt bullet seating die. Some companies even packaged them this way for 454 Casull, until they got around to re-stamping their dies.

Full power ammo for this cartridge requires very hard bullets, to keep them from being upset in the forcing cone and eventually splitting the barrel. For this reason, it is unlikely that the cartridge case will squeeze bullets to a smaller than desired diameter. On the other hand, if loading moderate loads with softer bullets, it might be a good idea to use a 45 Colt die.

Take care, Tom

Dhammer
04-23-2015, 05:22 PM
Will be getting one down the road as well. Dies I have been looking at were marked 454/45 colt. I'm leaning towards the Reddings.

LUCKYDAWG13
04-23-2015, 07:48 PM
i have a set of Hornady dies for my 454 I think they SUCK the seater die likes to stick
i would not recommend them go green RCBS or redding

High Desert Hunter
04-23-2015, 07:59 PM
I used my 45 Colt dies for my Super Redhawk 454 for 10 years, I have found with my FA the actual 454 dies work better, but for the Redhawk, I never had a single issue loading some heavy bullets at some good speeds, one time and one time only I had a bullet creep and tie up the cylinder, a 360gr bullet that was almost flush with the cylinder face to begin with, and I didn't apply enough crimp.

mtgrs737
04-25-2015, 12:15 AM
RCBS Dies have always been a favorite of mine, I do however own lots of Redding dies and some Lee die sets.

ebner glocken
04-25-2015, 01:14 AM
I've been loading for the super redhawk in 454 and had issues with bullet pull. This was in the experimental stage and fixed it by using this.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/292753/redding-profile-crimp-die-45-colt-long-colt?cm_vc=ProductFinding

The dies I use are dillon 45 LC with the exception of the redding full profile crimp die. This has worked quite well.

Ebner

cowboy
04-25-2015, 01:56 AM
Howdy;
I got into a FA m83 , and went with their recommendation NOT to use .45Colt dies, but a proper .454 Casull die set. I bought RCBS. My understanding is the .45 Colt die set has more taper, being wider than optimum for the .454 Casull from the mouth to the casehead, where proper .454 dies are "tighter" ( as are the FA chambers ) top to bottom. FA also makes good sense suggestions for loading procedure, like ALWAYS seat and crimp as separate operations. When assembling handgun loads having rifle-like pressures, I just feel it is a good idea to follow advice from the folks who know the cartridge best. ( there is also a reason that FA offered a .45 Colt cylinder for these guns, even if the cartridge would physically "fit" in the .454 cylinder ).

Mr Peabody
04-25-2015, 09:43 AM
i have a set of Hornady dies for my 454 I think they SUCK the seater die likes to stick
i would not recommend them go green RCBS or redding
I think the same!

Whiterabbit
04-26-2015, 01:49 AM
I have RCBS dies for 45 colt, 454, and 460. They are great. basically interchangeable. Only reason I got the 454 and 45 colt is I got them at a gun show for cheap.

Also got a through powder expander from lee with is neat, but the real star for expanding is the M die. What a die.

best policy if you load for one gun is to run the sizer down to .1" below the base of the boolit. makes for the prettiest loaded ammo and the base of the case will align concentric with your chambers.

wrench man
04-27-2015, 01:11 AM
I use RCBS 454 dies to reload the 45 Colt, however the expander I use is the one in the Dillon 550B 45 Colt conversion kit.

Cornbread
04-27-2015, 08:51 AM
I have a set of Lee dies that you can't crimp 45LC in the 454 roll crimp / seating die because the 45 LC case doesn't reach far enough up it to hit the crimp even when the shell holder hit the base of the die. I would not recommend Lee dies. I went to RCBS dies after a lot of frustration with that Lee die set for 454 and I have been very happy with them. Luckily the Lee dies were picked up used in a deal for brass and cost me almost nothing to find out I should have just bought better dies new to start with. I really like my Hornady rifle dies, but have never owned any Hornady pistol dies. I have heard enough poor reviews of their pistol dies that I have staid away. So I am another vote for 454 specific dies and RCBS work well for me. FWIW I only shoot cast out of my 454s and I have never used gas checked bullets so my experience is purely with plain base cast bullets. I own 4, 454 Casulls, it is my favorite handgun cartridge.