PDA

View Full Version : Too quiet in here.

xman777
04-22-2015, 10:27 PM
Is everyone doing well in our little swaging community? Not much activity lately.

blaser.306
04-22-2015, 10:39 PM
Been busy in the shop! don't want to say much till the time is right!!!

vonzep
04-22-2015, 10:42 PM
Been learning swaging with my corbin 101's.

And realized I
1 need to machine a bigger press.

2 need to make jigs

3 need a vacation.

goblism
04-22-2015, 10:46 PM
got a jacket stuck in a die, finally got the darn thing out, was about ready to send it to the maker to take care of it when it popped loose! I also have been waiting for some jackets to try trimming down and using in my 260 rem.

Also been messing around with BTSniper's 44 1 step die, pretty good results but I am not sure how I feel about not seating the cores quite yet. I might end up ordering an RCE set to replace it.

runfiverun
04-23-2015, 01:33 AM
he does make a core seat die.
I prefer to use it, then form the nose, and then run them through again to form the hollow-point.
it seems like a bit more work but the results are much. much better and more uniform.

Pipefitter
04-23-2015, 06:10 AM
Been working 10 hour night shifts 6 days a week for the last month, and getting the tourist's houses opened up here at the lake. No time for anything in the fun room lately.

xman777
04-23-2015, 08:44 AM
Nice to hear I'm not the only one caught up in the thick of it. I just got through fixing some flood damage, and yesterdays wind an rain knocked down a few trees in some rather inconvenient spots. I have a crew with a crane coming Sunday to fish em' out.

DukeInFlorida
04-23-2015, 05:33 PM
Not sure what you bought, but my BT Sniper 44 die set has a Core swage and a core seat die set, and it does an amazing job of making cores perfect, and seating them firmly. It's an integral step in making 44's properly.

If you went cheap, and didn't get the core swage and core seat dies for the 44, you made a mistake.

If you are missing something that Brian should have shipped with your set, let him know and he'll make it right. NOBODY does these better than Brian! NOBODY!

Also been messing around with BTSniper's 44 1 step die, pretty good results but I am not sure how I feel about not seating the cores quite yet. I might end up ordering an RCE set to replace it.

goblism
04-30-2015, 12:05 AM
Not sure what you bought, but my BT Sniper 44 die set has a Core swage and a core seat die set, and it does an amazing job of making cores perfect, and seating them firmly. It's an integral step in making 44's properly.

If you went cheap, and didn't get the core swage and core seat dies for the 44, you made a mistake.

If you are missing something that Brian should have shipped with your set, let him know and he'll make it right. NOBODY does these better than Brian! NOBODY!

I bought the one-step die setup that he sells.

The area that I am most frustrated with is making larger bullets. I tried making some 270 gr bullets using the notching tool. The core needs to be seated below the rim of the mouth in order to get an effective crimp. I have a 360 core swage die and these cores need to be seating in further in order to function the crimp die in other words. I understand I could get a larger core swage die or a core seat die but that defeats the purpose of a one-step die in my eyes. If I need to do 2 steps I might as well use a Corbin brothers style setup with my press as it is easier to operate.

I think that Brian makes a pretty good product but I would not say that his product is the best on the market through "NOBODY does these better than Brian! NOBODY!" I have had several types of swaging dies on the lower end of the cost spectrum (Corbin S, Corbin reloading, CH4D, BTSniper, and RCE) and I have found both Corbin brothers to have a product I have enjoyed using much more than the others when used in a swaging press. This does not mean I believe the others are junk but the design of an S die or Walnut hill is hard to compare with a reloading press style. I would anticipate Larry Blackman to have a great product as well as the carbide dies available as well.

Some people may say that BTSniper encourages the use of 400 bullets for making the cores. I understand that some of my frustrations would be less with this larger core. The main problem is I like swaging for the wide variety of bullets that I can make. If I am limited to only one XTP style bullet it defeats that purpose in my eyes.

just bill
05-23-2015, 01:30 PM
Been checking the site and it sure is quiet, a year ago "BT Anticipation AA ", Duke got his LOOOOONG awated dies and a little more happening then now.

Bill

ratboy
05-24-2015, 06:35 PM
i have been busy shooting and fixing sports cars.

MUSTANG
05-24-2015, 07:06 PM
Swaged some cores into jackets, and pointed a few hundred 60 and 70 grain .224's. Shhhhhh don't tell the wife, she wanted her garden reconfigured and I took a break for a while from that when it got to hot while she ran to the store to get milk, butter milk, and salad makings. Yesterday we took the day off and went fishing, trolling with panther martins - caught 8 pan size trout. Wife is frying fish and hush puppies as I type. Soon time for a fish fry.

clodhopper
05-25-2015, 10:43 AM
We all got our excuses...me? just finished 2 semesters of CNC machining tech, the last month was a pretty big crush getting stuff done. Graduated with my grandson and his fiancée who both graduated with 4 year degrees in business and economics, got their wedding and all the family coming to town done this weekend.

Now need to clean out the garage and build a wall to make a heated space for a CNC mill.
I have been sneaking off in quiet moments to make some 30 cal bullets from 5.7, 9mm, and 380 auto brass. Just small lots that get sent down the .308 about as fast as I can get them loaded. No awesome groups to show, still looking for reliable function in a some what less than trusty DPMS ar10.