PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Reloader Special 2 Redrill & Tap for Bushing?

JesterGrin_1
04-22-2015, 06:42 PM
I have a RCBS Piggyback II that has been collecting dust and would like to give it a try but I do not have a Single Stage press with the bushing.

So I thought I would ask thoughts on who could do such a thing on an RCBS Reloader Special 2 to enable one to use the RCBS Piggyback bushing for its installation and use?

To that end if it should even really be done?

I felt as though I should ask all of the other nutty DIY people on this forum as it seems a bit of a waste to go out and probably spend too much money on a brand new and or used press that will not be used normally.

But if one should happen to have one that they would be willing to part with either by trade for the above listed press and or an amount that will not break the bank please by all means let me know. Thank You.

Catshooter
04-23-2015, 01:44 AM
Jester,

I would think that when RCBS builds those presses, they are clamped into a jig and the loading die hole and the ram hole are drilled at the same time. Then they slap in a larger bit and drill the die hole for the bushing.

The bushing is a pretty good sized hole. And it needs to be lined up with the ram pretty closely. This is one of those things that if you have to ask, you shouldn't do it.

Was it me ( and I have some machining skills) I'd buy a press with the bushing. If I could afford it that is.

Cat

JesterGrin_1
04-23-2015, 04:58 PM
Cat the worst part is I was thinking the same thing lol. I was just picking at straws I guess. Thank You for the Road Closed Sign lol.

seagiant
04-23-2015, 05:37 PM
Hi,
Yep! Sale yours and just buy a RC! Trust me!!!

EDG
04-23-2015, 07:19 PM
For those of us that spent part of a career in manufacturing that is an easy process but it takes some tooling and good machines.

Here is how I might try it and you will see that it is much easier to swap your old press in another that has the bushing.

Turn and thread a mandrel that fits tightly in the ram bore of the press. Leave the mandrel in the chuck and slide the press on.

Lock it down with a nut inside the press opening. Now the entire press is located on the ram bore.
Turn this obviously out of balanced part at low RPM and bore the hole out. Then single point thread the bore to fit a factory bushing if lazy. Otherwise I would have made my own bushing or set of bushings and thread the press to fit them.

The other way is to set up plate on a milling machine with 3 or 4 feet. Bolt the press on the mill and drop a close fitting mandrel into the ram bore and align the press to the milling machine using an indicator. You don't really care where the old top thread is because you are going to remove it.

Bore out the top thread. This is where it gets difficult on a mill. You are going to be using a large tap that might require 2 people to turn and keep it straight using a dead center in the mill chuck. Once tapped, if the press did not move you will have a good alignment.

I would do this to a RCBS A2 without the bushing because the press is so valuable. I am not sure I would mess with any other press unless I was really bored.
All things considered get another press.

Catshooter
04-24-2015, 04:12 AM
"if the press did not move " Now there's a key phrase if I ever heard one! :)

Yea Jester I hate to put the brakes on a man, I'm usually much more inclined to the "geterdone" school. But not with that project.

Good luck either way.

Cat

JesterGrin_1
04-24-2015, 05:14 PM
Yes I agree as doing this project is just not worth the cost or time needed.

Thank You.

PS. Do not worry another dumb question is coming right up lol. :)