now that we have to just about have to take what ever primers that is avalable
how would pick
i go with
winchester (easer tp store )
federal
after that i guess it gos
CCI
REMINGTON
MAYBE WOLF (HAVENT HAD ANY EXPRANCE WITH THESE)

so what do you think do you agree please feel free to jump right in and speak your mind
ok my reasons federals are packed in too big boxes to store in the same ammo cans that i can get winchesters in.
cci seams to be cooler than winchesters or federals
remingtons same

pumpguy
03-13-2008, 03:06 PM
I have been buying Magtechs lately. Nice small box and no difference in ignition that I can detect. I have used large and small pistol and large rifle.

03-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Whatever's available or cheapest when buying bulk.:mrgreen:

In days past.... shooting very accurate (just my word but flunks the "Molly test") bolt guns, high power j bullet loads.... LR Federal Match did pretty well.

In large capacity cases for cast bullet loads, including black powder... I've had good luck with Rem, Win and CCI.... some folks have issues with CCI?? Once in a while I'll load up some Mag type primers to see if there is any detectable positive difference in accuracy, fouling, etc. in the large capacity black powder cartridges.... haven't noticed any. I use standard primers for all. Currently I don't load for or shoot any handgun in the 454 C. variety and don't load for or shoot any large capacity mag type j bullet rifle.

The only ball powder I shoot in anything is limited to fairly fast handgun powders like W231. The only time I've seen a need to use mag primers is for large capacity, rifles or handguns loaded with large quantities of slow powders especially slow ball powders.

For loading accurate, med capacity cases for accurate bolt gun, J bullet loads I prefer Rem.

For small to medium case capacity general purpose I prefer Rem.

For handgun/carbine loads including 38 Spl, 357, 38-40 and 44-40 I prefer Rem.

Tom W.
03-13-2008, 03:54 PM
I've been using CCI and Federals. For most of my rifle hunting loads with the J bullets, I find the Federal Match give better groups.