PDA

View Full Version : 338 Lapua Magnum Build

colonelsanders
04-22-2015, 02:16 PM
This is a project that my dad started in the early 90's that I have picked up and will finish.

Started off with a BRNO ZKK-602 action in 375 H&H Magnum (predecessor the the CZ 550 Safari magnum)

a no 1 contour 338 sporter barrel

and a 338 Lapua Magnum Chamber reamer

The second picture is a size comparison with a standard Mauser action (became my 458x2 american rifle)

colonelsanders
04-22-2015, 02:25 PM
I collected up a number of parts for this build in order to get a nice mountain hunting rifle for elk hunting across valleys. It is a very Large rifle to administer very big medicine.........

The stock came from a CZ550 and just needed a few in-letting cuts to fit.

The scope is a Millett BK81007 for long range light gathering and a ranging reticle. The scope mounts are no good for this setup and it took a long time to find the right solution here.

http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/lrs/

I had my barrel threaded by fellow board member Willbird with a perfect metric thread. This was by far the easiest way to go about this particular one-off job. The quality of the work is excellent and allowed me to move on to the part I am capable of doing myself. I have many tools, but cannot cut metric threads.

If anyone needs some barreling work I can attest to the quality of the work I have received from Willbird, as well as the quick turnaround time and good communication.

colonelsanders
04-22-2015, 02:31 PM
Cambering and barrel installation went very smoothly.

Also had to open up the bolt face (using a toolpost grinder) and swap out a few action parts to handle the 338 lapua shell. Many of the CZ550 safari parts will interchange directly with these actions.

Feed lips only needed minor touches here and there to feed reliably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LyDFDROwic

colonelsanders
04-22-2015, 02:35 PM
The mounting of the scope I choose became a serious problem due to my desire to use the CZ style ring mounts and keep the scope low to the rifle.

I ended up purchasing a set of steel Valdad optics QD rings and hoped that the scope would clear.

http://www.valdada.com/cz-quick-detach-30mm-35mm-rings/

I could not have imagined a more perfect fit for the rifle!

colonelsanders
04-22-2015, 02:39 PM
After obtaining a pad grinding fixture from Midway I got around to mounting my chosen recoil pad.

https://kickeezproducts.com/recoil-pads/magnum/

this really does two thing for me, it reduces felt recoil and significantly increases my length of pull. Being 6'1" most rifle come up short and now it feels about right.

You can't see it, but I also bored the stock and installed a mercury recoil reducer in the butt. This helps balance the rifle a bit and should help with the recoil as well.

FLYCUTTER
04-22-2015, 03:14 PM
Very Nice !! That's a great looking rifle you turned out. I hope the recoil will not be to bad but if it is you always can put a brake on it. I'm not into liking pain so all my large bore guns have breaks. Good luck and good hunting with your new gun.

Ola
04-22-2015, 04:29 PM
Put a silencer on it (if allowed).

Just shot a .338 LaMa (Sako TRG) couple of weeks ago with a silencer. Excellent combo. Moderate sound and very moderate recoil.

Hambam
06-25-2015, 01:34 AM
This is an awesome build! I had to join Cast Boolits just to comment!
I am doing the exact same project, except my 602 was originally a 458 win mag. I'll post some pics up when I get a chance. If you don't mind, I have a few questions:

1. Why the toolpost grinder to open up the face? I was hoping to get away with a carbide tip cutter for the face and and make the cut for feeding. I don't have a toolpost grinder so I'm hoping the carbide would still work. I hear these bolt faces are super hard.

2. Was the stock from the 550 safari magnum, or just a long action 550? I will probably end up making a stock as I intend to build a rifle primarily for target shooting and want a bit more meat in it.

3. How are you finding the recoil without a brake? I really want a gun that is just fun to shoot, and am happy with big recoil. I do however want something that I can put a few rounds through without needing shoulder surgery.

4. Any advice in general (other than the awesome write up above) on do's and dont's for this conversion. I hear the trigger isn't the best (I have a set trigger same as yours) but there's not any replacements on the market.

Sorry about all the questions. Its just great to find someone who has done what I'm planning on doing!

colonelsanders
07-01-2015, 12:15 PM
To answer your questions.

1) The tool post grinder was used because I have one....... and the finish it produces is amazing with next to no cutting force required.

2) The stock was from a 550 safari magnum, only a safari magnum stock will fit. I would contact mcmillan to see what they have available in one of their more target style stocks. At some point in the future I will upgrage to a fiberglass stock. I dont care about the recoil when hunting in the mountains, I care about the weight.

3) can't answer this one as I have not fired it yet, I expect it will be vicious. I need to glass bed the action into the stock and I have not gotten around to doing this yet (been busy with family stuff). I have three rifles needing glass bedding and i just haven't started on that part yet (see my other special project posts).

4) The trigger is different, based on the parts I ordered I suspect that with a few bits and pieces from the 550 safari magnum that the Timney trigger offered for the CZ safari magnum could be adapted. I intend to stick with the stock 602 trigger for the time being as the set portion of the trigger is adjustable and will suit my needs.

Whiterabbit
07-07-2015, 02:03 AM
I used to own a savage light hunter in 338 lapua. I don't like brakes and took it off. Rifle weighed something like 9 lb with the scope, I didn;t use a bipod. Recoil without the brake was like a 20 ga shotgun. It was a pussycat. recoil with the brake on was lighter than an AR-308 (I was told).

Your rifle with a recoil reducer and the weight involved here is going to be a very soft shooter. Comparatively.

I replaced it with a 550 safari magnum. I like the trigger a lot actually, and end up never setting it. I thought I would prefer the single set trigger. Maybe if it were a bipod rested long range shooter, but mine is not.

Hambam
07-18-2015, 08:36 PM
Thankyou so much for the reply! Its good to know. I'm starting the machining over the next few days so hoping it goes well. I have an unturned 1.2" thick barrel blank so am going to attempt to turn it down. Hoping for an interesting and fun project.

jrap
07-27-2015, 11:45 PM
Absolutely gorgoeus rifle. It's amazing how much work you guys put into this. Is there a reason that you chose to go with 338 lapua as opposed to 338 win mag or something around the 375 ruger range?

colonelsanders
02-23-2017, 05:31 PM
I had 250 rounds of 338 Lapua Magnum ammo that came with the project......... seemed like a really compelling reason to me.....