PDA

View Full Version : Lead/tin 20/1, will a small amount of antimony make a difference.

nitro-express
04-22-2015, 08:03 AM
I want to try 20/1 and 30/1 in my 38-55 with a 380 bore:

The tin in my alloy stash is from babbitt, mixed 50/50 by weight with pure lead, so it contains some Sb. Therefore my 20/1 mix will have app 1/4% Sb. I don't think that small amount will make any difference?

I'm new to cast bullets and the whole smelting thing. When I smelt, and flux, I can't seem to see the difference between "dross" and "valuable alloy". When I stir I see little things swimming just below the surface, when all is still again a skin forms but it looks like a thin sheet of tin, somewhat dull, but metallic. I somehow think it is tin forming because of the near freezing temperature wind that is ventilating my work area. When I pour the melt into ingots, I can see the skin on the surface, and it is dull. I flux with beeswax.

My bad, a picture sure would help.

Defcon-One
04-22-2015, 12:15 PM
I would say that the 1/4% Sb won't make much of a difference. Even Pewter adds some Sb with the Tin and everyone seems to use that. It will be just a little bit harder, but not enough to really matter. Should only raise your BHN from 10 to 10.2. Use what you have.

But, if you're like me and want things as close to true alloy as possible, for repeatability later, then buy some Bar Solder or Pure Tin.

Your melt sounds pretty normal to me. I flux with Pine Sawdust! Try it and you will never go back to wax. The sawdust cleans better and is a really complete fluxing agent. It is cheap and easy to make when you need more.

DC-1

Mitch
04-22-2015, 04:21 PM
info on rotometals site.1% Sb =.92 bhn.1%sn=.29bnh.so not much difference.

GLL
04-22-2015, 05:37 PM
What is the actual composition of your babbitt tin source?

Jerry

captaint
04-23-2015, 11:21 AM
After I flux, there's a little pile of junk on top of the melt. I then take a spoon and smash that junk against the side of the pot, keep smashing. After a minute you will have a very small pile of what looks like grey sand. That's what I throw out. Sawdust back on top, and away we go....

nitro-express
04-24-2015, 08:04 AM
What is the actual composition of your babbitt tin source?

Jerry

Mostly tin, I cast a bullet with it and it was lighter than lead. Actual composition is a mystery. Found it siting in the corner @ work and gave it a new home. I blended it with lead, to mimic a bar of 50/50 solder. And that is about as scientific as I'm going to go.

This is a learning experience as I've only cast my own once before, in the 70's, at the time I thought it was a one and done, then this shortage %****% started.

country gent
04-24-2015, 09:21 AM
air cooled, the small amount of antimony will make a smaller diffrence. Water quench antimony is a hardening agent and will make a bigger diffrencemore so if the babbit has arsnec in it also. Make a small amount and cast some bullets up air cooled and let set a couple weeks check hardbess and see what they are. I shoot 20-1 in my 40-65, 45-70, and 45-90 with good results and little to no leading. I buy alloy from buffalo arms. The 20-1 is available from Buffalo arms co. roto metals and some others.

GLL
04-24-2015, 10:18 AM
nitro-express:

Send me a PM with your mailing address and I will ship you a 5 pound ingot of 60/40 (Sn/Pb) (no Sb) so you can experiment and not worry about the composition of your babbitt. You can make some true 20:1 ! That is one of my favorite .38 Special and .44 Special alloys.

Jerry

RogerDat
04-24-2015, 06:08 PM
nitro-express:
You can make some true 20:1 ! That is one of my favorite .38 Special and .44 Special alloys.

Jerry
That was pretty nice of you to help nitro-express out.

What powder do you put behind that .38 special and 20:1 alloy? Or maybe I should ask what velocity since if I don't already have the same powder I might be old and gray before I can get some. Oh wait I'm already old(ish) and gray. That must have happened while waiting for Unique to show up. And what bullet?

I have a few bars of 10% tin solder I was going to use it for tin but saw your post and though hmmm maybe I could use it in .38 to try something different. Would be in short barrel, moderate loads, wife does not like to get hammered when she shoots. Come to think of it neither do I if I'm just punching paper for fun.

Ever shot that 20:1 out of 45 colt?