PDA

View Full Version : Deer Creek Underhammer

Boz330
04-21-2015, 02:52 PM
I picked up one of the older kits and am finishing it right now. This rifle is primarily going to be a hunting gun but I would like a rear peep sight that would be period correct. To a certain extent I have the means to make the sight, but would like to see some examples if anyone can post some pictures. I could slap on a Williams or Marbles but that would be BUTT UGLY.

Thanks
Bob

bedbugbilly
04-21-2015, 06:43 PM
Bob - I'll be interested to see what pops up in reply to your post as I am also looking for a period correct peep for an under hammer.

When Deer Creek was still producing them, I ordered one and picked it up from them at Friendship when I was down there for the nationals. Mine was the "rifle" (not buggy) version in 36 cal. I picked up a bag of .350 balls from a vendor and went over and shot a couple of practice targets with it - I was able to get 1 1/2" groups at 25 yards just as I picked it up from them - no sight adjustments at all. (I was much younger then and could see better).

I recently purchased an old H & A under hammer in 45 cal. from a member here. I need to do a little work on it so have decided that I will probably strip the worn blue and brown all the metal - kind of thinking of pouring a pewter nose cap on the forearm as well - kind of dress her up a littlee. I'd like to put a period correct peep on it but have had no luck finding anything yet - so - I may have to make one from scratch.

Some folks think they are ugly but I love them. Simple and accurate - more accurate than me!

I hope you'll post photos of yours when you get done with it. I wish Deer Creek still made them as they produced an excellent rifle.

pietro
04-21-2015, 07:02 PM

A "lollipop" peep sight is period correct - Although YMMV, I would make one from brass stock & a brass machine screw.

http://new-cdn.pyramydair.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/04-27-12-01-Nelson-Lewis-combination-gun.jpg

Boz330
04-22-2015, 08:10 AM
BBB Deer Creek has been sold and I believe they are selling the actions but I'm not sure of that. I did manage to get a trigger out of the new owners a couple years back. I got one of the Buggy guns back in around 05' in .50 and it was a real shooter. I got my Godson a long rifle kit but he hasn't done anything with it so I swapped him out the Buggy Rifle for it since I wanted something a little more eye friendly. He is way to busy raising 2 daughters, making a career, and keeping a wife happy to spend time on it. He is lucky to get away for monthly matches and deer & turkey season. He missed opening day of turkey season this year which is the first time in a long time.
I thought about putting a dovetail up near the action and doing a long bar back to the curve and an adjustment screw bearing on the top of the action. The imbedded lollypop was also a thought but it would have to be pretty fine threads so adjustments wouldn't be too much. I would like the support screw to be somewhat robust since it is a hunting gun.

Bob

bedbugbilly
04-22-2015, 09:18 AM
Bob - your thoughts on dovetailing near the receiver/action and putting a long bar back with an adjusting screw was pretty much what I was thinking of as well. The idea of a lollypop sight is good as well but I'm thinking it would be more "fragile" than the first option - things do happen when you bring the rifle down to load or are around a loading bench type set up. I was at a shoot many years ago where a guy had one on a under hammer - he carried his rifle back to the loading bench and was talking with another guy - he brought the rifle down to put the barrel in the notch to lean it to load (he had it muzzle up) and he snagged the bench edge with his lollypop sight. Ouch! It did the job on it for sure! It was bad enough he ruined his sight but he had to take the "berries" from all the rest of us for his "oops" and of course we told him it would probably improve his shooting! :-)

Years ago, I used to shoot sometimes at a monthly shoot here in MI with a group - a very informal shoot round ball shoot. Some pretty nice rifles and smoothbores would show up - Homer Dangler was one of the fellows who would usually show up with one of his nice custom built guns. In those times, I was usually shooting either a custom Hawken or a Virginia flint that I had built. There was a fellow who usually showed up with an old H & A under hammer barreled with a .32 cal. barrel. We always joked about it as he carried his shooting supplies - balls, caps & patches - in an empty musket cap tin. A lot of good natured kidding went on but that fellow would usually outshoot all the custom guns with that old under hammer. While a lot of kidding went on about it - we all had great respect for him and his rifle - as they say . . . "beware of the man who shoots just one gun". :-)

pietro
04-22-2015, 10:24 AM

IDT a bbl dovetail would be needed - just a simple D/T for the sight's forward tongue.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/blackfoot123/640longstrappeep.jpg

Boz330
04-22-2015, 01:13 PM
That is what I was thinking about but I thought having a little windage adjustment might come in handy. That is a good looking setup, even has a Hadley eyecup.

Bob

bedbugbilly
04-22-2015, 07:15 PM
That's a nice looking set up! It's also along the lines of what I was thinking of. Bob - I agree with you on the windage adjustment. The vintage H & A that I just bought has a rear sight that does have both elevation and windage adjustment . . . although once sighted in, I really don't know if I'd ever touch it again? We use fixed rear sights all the time on traditional ML - long rifles, Hawkens, etc. for traditional iron sights and then adjust with "Kentucky windage" for windy days and extended ranges. But, I'm not shooting in competition anymore and with my eyesight, I'm just going to have to play and see what would work for a peep for me. A sight similar to that mounted in a dove tail at the rear of the barrel would still allow you to "drift" it in the dovetail for windage . . . so many options and seeing that one certainly gives a person a lot of ideas!

pietro - I have a feeling you could shoot the wings off a fly at 100 yards with that set up - very nice land very impressive! Thanks for the photo!

johnson1942
04-25-2015, 01:17 PM
why dont you just put a ghost ring sight on the barrel. you can buy them or make them, all my sidelocks have ghost ring sights on them. faster than a tang peep in sighting but much better than a notched rear sight.

dondiego
04-25-2015, 01:45 PM
johnson1942 - Could you post a picture of your ghost ring on one of your rifles?

Metalshaper
04-25-2015, 05:21 PM

Sorry for the quality of the pics?? but here is a couple views a 'bud' sent of the H&A Loli-pop Peep
he found for his Heritage model gun.. If nothing else, it should give you some ideas to make one?

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Boz330
04-27-2015, 08:35 AM
It looks like they have a sliding bar with the peep hole in it for windage. Cool idea.

Bob