PDA

View Full Version : Ruger M77 Hawkeye All Weather?

RugerFan
04-21-2015, 04:46 AM
I've noticed that Ruger dropped the M77 Hawkeye All Weather from their web site. Really? I would have thought that was their best selling M77. Are they bent on pushing the American series? I own 2 of the M77 All Weathers (both are tack drivers) and would hate to see them go by the wayside.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-23-2015, 10:55 PM
I agree Rugerfan, but ------------

Was reading the NRA magazine this evening and a RUGER ad shows that they have really expanded the RUGER American line.

I have a RUGER all weather Hawkeye in 300 win mag and it is not only very accurate, but also on the fast end of velocities on the chronograph.

However, I also have an American in 30/06 and it is wonderfully accurate.

You might check out their web site and see what they currently list.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Mauser48
04-23-2015, 11:29 PM
Thats weird! Who doesn't want a stainless hunting rifle? I would love one in 243.

Rustyleee
04-24-2015, 07:01 AM
I have an all weather .223 and a blued .308. I like the feel of the stock on the .308 much better. The plastic stock on the all weather just seems clunky to me. The blued rifle with the walnut stock feels much slimmer and trimmer. I'm seriously thinking of getting a wood stock for the stainless action.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-24-2015, 12:25 PM
I hear ya Rusty!

However, no matter how much I like blued metal and nice walnut, it is great to have a tool in the woods that I don't worry about.

I have been hunting with a RUGER #1-45/70 for a few years, in the typical blued metal and nice wood configuration, and yes it gets used and marked up and, but the Stainless and laminated #1 simply doesn't have the "feel" that I so much enjoy in this rifle.

But, were I to need a rifle to meet a different set of "needs", I'd really like that RUGER Stainless and "plastic" 300 in my hands.

Great tool, and it takes a lick'in and keeps on tick'in. :wink:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

runfiverun
04-25-2015, 02:19 PM
I too think the hawkeye is the best rifle ruger has ever made.
even the matte finished barrels are super accurate and hold up well to the elements.

Lloyd Smale
04-27-2015, 07:32 AM
I must not have had good luck with them. Ive had 2 a 7mag and a 264. Niether were good shooters and the 264 I actually wore the barrel out of it trying to find a load over 5 years of playing. I sold the 7mag and just rebarreled the 264. They were sure no better then a typical tang safety ruger which isn't too good. Bottom line is they were 2 inch 100 yard guns at best.
I too think the hawkeye is the best rifle ruger has ever made.
even the matte finished barrels are super accurate and hold up well to the elements.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-27-2015, 06:58 PM
I think that Lloyd is just able to pick em.

With him always pick'in the "bad" RUGERS it has allowed me to almost always get the good ones clear back to the tang safety days.

Thanks Lloyd, keep culling em out for me. You've done a great job so far!! ;-)

By the way, I'm still using and love'in the over 400gr cast bullets you and Bruce -BABore- suggested. Sure awesome on the critters even if I'm forced to shoot it out of a RUGER. :lol:

CDOC

376Steyr
04-28-2015, 05:12 PM
Ruger isn't shy about discontinuing slow sellers and moving on. It is my practice to immediately yield to temptation when Ruger offers something that I really want, because it may not be available later. For instance, have you tried to buy a Ruger in 350 Rem Mag recently?

RugerFan
04-28-2015, 10:06 PM
I agree Rugerfan, but ------------

Was reading the NRA magazine this evening and a RUGER ad shows that they have really expanded the RUGER American line.

I have a RUGER all weather Hawkeye in 300 win mag and it is not only very accurate, but also on the fast end of velocities on the chronograph.

However, I also have an American in 30/06 and it is wonderfully accurate.

You might check out their web site and see what they currently list.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Yes, I've been perusing the Ruger site a lot lately. Expanding the American line is fine, but I was just lamenting the loss of the venerable Hawkeye All Weather.

Speaking of the Ruger American, I think an American Ranch rifle in .300 BLK is in my near future.

runfiverun
04-30-2015, 10:51 AM
it is in my gun cabinet :lol:

I happened to have cash in pocket and the sports mans warehouse just happened to get one in that day.
I think they get about one a month and it's snapped up within a couple of days.

we will see how it shoots compared to my AAC, I know I like the stocks l.o.p. better right off.

I have only had one ruger that refused to shoot very well, and when I look back on it the rifle was not at fault.
I was cheap and bought the worst bullets out there and expected varmint rifle accuracy from bullets that couldn't do it.
as soon as I broke down and spent the 7 dollars on some varmint/target type bullets the rifle straightened right up.