PDA

View Full Version : 9mm in 40S&W!

retread
04-21-2015, 12:25 AM

Out at our local range a fellow next to me asked me to look at his "9mm". He said it was failing to fire every few rounds. I looked at the gun and it was plainly labeled .40. I bent down and picked up some of his ejected cases and found the ones in the picture. He had went into a gun shop and asked for a 9mm and ammo. They had sold him a 40 S&W and 2 boxes of 9mm ammo. He said he had bought it in the LA Kalifornia area. He also said he had to take a class and pass a test in order to buy it. I asked him if the gun dealer had passed the test. Took him a minute to catch my sarcasm.

And here I thought those people in Kalifornia new all about guns and ammo since they want to pass all the laws governing its use!!!!

lefty o
04-21-2015, 01:00 AM
he obviously didnt pass his 2nd grade reading test!

osteodoc08
04-21-2015, 01:21 AM
I wonder if they'll size down......:kidding:

Petrol & Powder
04-21-2015, 04:24 AM
The stories about using the wrong ammo never end. I've personally seen dozens of examples similar to that one and somehow they live and reproduce. Where is Darwin when you need him?

dragon813gt
04-21-2015, 06:04 AM
Watched it happen in person. They will fire but won't eject. I no longer go shooting w/ those friends since they aren't safe.

Tackleberry41
04-21-2015, 07:48 AM
There are some scary people working in gun stores. Was a time I suppose when most people who worked in them had some idea what they were doing. Now its as long as someone can breath. But some places don't want to pay anything, hard to get qualified people for unqualified pay.

bangerjim
04-21-2015, 11:26 AM
Good one! They probably will go boom, but not cycle at all.

Unfortunately reading is not a skill required to fire a gun! What an ultra morooone!

Just because the sign on the door says "gun store" does not mean the people inside know anything aobut guns.......or reading.

stormingnorm
04-21-2015, 11:40 AM
Are you sure the barrel in the gun was not a 9mm. I have a glock 23 that will swap barrels from 40 sw to 9mm to 357 sig. You just need the correct magazines. I have a 9mm for my 40 sw. It is very easy to swap out.

Tenbender
04-21-2015, 12:12 PM
When I was a kid I bought a Mauser for a deer rifle. I was told it was a 8mm. I got several rounds of military steel jackets with it and they shot fine. Very accurate. I bought a box of soft point hunting ammo and went to the mountain on opening day. Got on my stand after a hour long walk and loaded up the mag with the new ammo. Went to chamber one and the bolt would not close. When I ejected the round the bullet remained in the barrel. Long story short, I had bought a 7mm Mauser ? :x

Harter66
04-21-2015, 12:53 PM
Steel 223 in a 6.8 Rem SPC .

I picked up a few 9mm that had a very clear flat ring at the case mouth and swollen brass with a pronounced fish belly my best guess is 9mm Luger in a 9mm Makarov.

I read once about an editor going to 1of the manufacturer shows and running a couple of cylinders of 41 Mag through a 44 mag pistol.

osteodoc08
04-21-2015, 05:11 PM
Steel 223 in a 6.8 Rem SPC .

I read once about an editor going to 1of the manufacturer shows and running a couple of cylinders of 41 Mag through a 44 mag pistol.

I know some one *cough* who ran 41 in a 44 *cough*.

I had 41 and 44 boxes open on the table. I stopped for some reason and loaded. I had inadvertently slipped 1 or 2 41's in the cylinder. They all Went bang and went to eject them and was a little stiff as the brass had swelled. I was a teen and after that i ONLY put one box/caliber of reloads on the bench at a time.

bcp477
04-21-2015, 06:35 PM
In my qualification class for CCW a few years ago, there was a young fellow and his young wife. Neither had EVER fired a gun before that day. The husband had purchased an expensive 1911 clone for himself....and a 38 spl. Ruger LCR for his wife. During the actual shooting qualification, I happened to be beside the wife on the line and had to show her how to load and eject rounds for her revolver. (I was also shooting a revolver, so I suppose she looked to me for help for that reason.) Hubby, in the meantime, down at the other end of the firing line, fired one round during the first string and then had a stoppage. The instructor, of course, shut down the firing line, had everyone clear their guns, put them down and standby. Turns out hubby purchased .40 S&W ammo for his .45 ACP pistol. The fired case looked just like those in the OP's photo. Even as the the instructor told the guy he was lucky the barrel didn't split, due to the great difference in pressure between the two rounds, it was pretty obvious he was oblivious and really didn't get it.

I just shook my head, finished my qualification as soon as I could...and got out of there. (I scored 100 %, by the way.)

Many of the others were spraying bullets all over the place. I was incredulous, as here in NC, the distances involved for qualification are 3, 5 and 7 yards. Laughably easy.

Amazing. And I swear, every word above is absolutely true.

retread
04-21-2015, 07:59 PM
I think the picture should answer that question.

Are you sure the barrel in the gun was not a 9mm. I have a glock 23 that will swap barrels from 40 sw to 9mm to 357 sig. You just need the correct magazines. I have a 9mm for my 40 sw. It is very easy to swap out.

tazman
04-21-2015, 10:24 PM
I picked up a couple of 40S&W cases at the range a couple of weeks ago that looked like those. Apparently they went through a 45acp.
When I gave them to the proprietor, they got more than a little concerned. The people that run this shooting range are big on safety which is a good thing.

MtGun44
04-23-2015, 12:04 AM
When were deciding how tough to make the qualification, I asked one
question of the rest of the committee members. "If we make this test
so hard that your 80 year old grandmother won't pass it, have we
done a good thing?"

I have heard the same stuff about the KS CCW live fire test, although
ours is 5 rds at 3 yds, 10 rds at 7 yds and 10 rds at 10 yds. 18 good hits
out of 25 shots (72% hits) Most police officers in real shootings have about
a 30-50% hit rate. Frankly, I think that few self defense shootings really
happen as far as 10 yds.

I stand by what we did. Another point I made was "We are not training
Navy SEALs here, just trying to find out if this person is basically safe in
the common, short range self-defense situation."

Our 8 hr training DOES cover proper ammo selection and how to load, unload
and check semi-autos and revolvers. Gotta be pretty clueless not to be able
to tell that ".45 ACP" is not the same as ".40 S&W".

04-23-2015, 12:14 AM
Heard a story about a young lad who returned his newly purchased 17HMR rifle to the shop he purchased it from because he couldn't hit anything. Turns out the rifle they had sold him was chambered for 22WMR.