PDA

View Full Version : vortex scope on my 15 year old sons savage .270

johnson1942
04-20-2015, 06:28 PM
last winter i promised my son if i sold a high end custom muzzleloader i built before summer i would turn the money around for a new scope for his savage .270. as it was a shooter called me and asked if i had a elk muzzle loader for sale and as i did my son got his scope. we looked at a lot of scopes at first stop in rapid city and my son chose a vortex 6 x 24 power and today we sighted it in. i have to say it is quite a scope. i think as i finish this post we are going to drive south into the sandhills and see if we can roll a varmint of some kind with the 270 and the new scope. my son is very happy wioth the scope. the nearest place to us is 1/2 mile south down hill from us. it was too windy to sight in yesterday but he sat at the big south window and watched a cat go after a bird in the vets yard 1/2 mile away with it yesterday. man would they have loved this scope back in vietnam. the scope he took off the gun was a rebuilt weaver with a wide tv screen view and 9 power. the man who sold us the vortex fell in love with that old weaver scope. that one went on a custom built 50 cal inline muzzle loader. it will keep getting game. it has got 9 deer with the 270 and now it will go to work on the inline. had to share the fun we have had with this new toy.

Three44s
04-21-2015, 01:46 AM
I have some of the Crossfire scopes which is Vortex's entry level and like those.

The better samples of the Vortex line are very favored around my parts.

.............. and Savage rifles are pretty well thought of by me ....... I like how easy it is to swap barrels one's self!

Best regards

Three 44s

johnson1942
04-21-2015, 05:41 PM
your right about the savages, if i had the cash i would get a good used 06 savage and take off the barrel and put on a 35 wheelen barrel on it. to me it dont get better than a 35 wheelen.

Hogtamer
04-21-2015, 09:31 PM
I'm kinda partial to a .270 myself. I recently worked up some nice loads with jwords that really made my Browning A-bolt shine. Your son will enjoy that gun Johnson, good on you both.

Dhammer
04-22-2015, 01:36 AM
Awesome!

I bought my son a Savage 243, one with the accutrigger for Christmas. I had been saving up Cabelas bday and xams gift cards for the last 4 years to buy a nice scope for myself. Seemed more appropriate, they got used on him. My daughter got her first bow, those were the bass pro gift cards I had been saving just as long.. He hates recoil. I had never fired a 243 or 270 so didn't want to push him away from shooting.

My buddy gave me his fathers pre, model 70 in 270. So, he will get that in a few years. His little sister in a year or two, I know I can start, her right out on a 270 or bigger. Her nickname is recoil monster. She's proud of it too. So, she will get a Savage as her first non 22lr rifle.

(Wish, I had gotten nice rifles or shotguns when I was their age, it was all a hundred year old hand me down beaters on their last leg. When, the one finally have out my pop's would come home with damn near a twin of last one that had been sitting in a buddies closet for eons) so, in that regards I want to spoil them and give them the advantages I didn't have.

The Savage's are sweet rifles. I bought their 10ml, with money I was given the year I won officer of the year about a dozen years ago. From what I read they are easy to customize, which I figure may come into play down the road as an option for his 243 when it can become a predator specific rifle, maybe even an AI or better yet turned into a 6mm.

Both will get Vortex's to start them out. His came with the 3x9 so both are getting practice on optics. Then I mounted my slug gun Vortex Strike Fire, on my daughter's Cricket as another means of getting them used to optics. That was a hughe hit with my daughter. She loves it. I need to try and make a mount so it sits right ontop of rifle though. Their mount an with Weaver/pic adapter has it sitting way too high. Figured be a fun machining project for mill one of these days.

I'm originally from a slug gun state so, most my experience had been 3x9, other then some stuff a long time ago in military. Kinda waiting as I learn more about western style hunting versus being a tree stand hunter most of my life before I decide which models. I need to upgrade one of my rifles with a better and modern scope as well. I think both are older then I am on my 06's. So many Vortex's to choose from. Uggg.

But first, I need to sell off some Ruger and Colt single action parts off and such to pay for the scopes. Getting my spine busted up, really crimped the budget I used to have for hunting and toys.

Congrats, sounds like you have a very happy and excited kid. What bullet weights do you prefer for the 270, if I may ask?

I wanted to start loading up some reduced loads for the 270 and 243. Just wish the bullets weren't so darn expensive for both. I still haven't found a deal where I can afford to get me set up for casting again. Eventually though.

What led you to that model/power scope over some of others for your son too. Hopefully, I can use it to make the right decision for mine

johnson1942
04-22-2015, 04:12 PM
when he was 11 years old and weighed 80 pounds i loaded them with a 90 grain bullet and they were loaded to move fast. he could handle the recoil, now that he is 15 and about 120 pounds we use a 140 grain or 150 grain. that old weaver scope got him 9 deer and two were way way above average. now we will see what the vortex will do. he was watching the neighbor's yard the other day as they are 1/2 mile away and saw their cat chase a bird or something with it. that scope is really a winner.