PDA

View Full Version : pistol or carbine upper?

nekshot
04-20-2015, 12:34 PM
My son now has a lower with out any markings on it. Because he has a neat savage 7-08 for normal hunting conditions(100 to 300) yard, he would like to set this ar up for in his words"tight brush busting situations". He totally understands brush busting is a myth in most minds and he knows to wait for a clear ethical shot. What he wants is a bigger blunt bullet in close. I told him there is a 45 socom or such and he thought that was his choice. I immediatly started telling him why I would stay away from it because the cartridge cannot be made from something else. Am I right , and then he said he wants a suppressor and I was not sure if a pistol or carbine upper would best suit him. What advice do you give him? I have a 300BO bolt and cannot see any thing better in close thick situations. The 7.62x39 (I have a bolt action in this)would be my second choice as we have plenty of heavy boolits for both of these. His first hurdle is carbine or pistol upper for his vision of this gun.

timspawn
04-20-2015, 01:13 PM
If he puts a pistol length barrel on it, it will have to be registered as an SBR if it has a stock. I'd go 16" or more to avoid the $200 and time involved with the Form 1, especially since this is going to be a hunting rifle.

nekshot
04-21-2015, 07:59 AM
Thanks for input, and I won't have to bother you fellas anymore because I met a local fella yesterday who is retired from military and knows far more about these guns then I might have capacity to retain it. I handled his and all I can say is ,WoW!