PDA

View Full Version : 300 BO gas tube length

roysha
04-20-2015, 11:23 AM
Well, from what I gather here and elsewhere, the carbine length gas tube is only marginal for reliable functioning of the 300BO and the pistol length is much better.

My barrel is ported for the carbine length. Can I just block that port and drill a new port at the correct location for a pistol length tube? If so, what is the location of the pistol port and what diameter? I have also read that the carbine port can be enlarged for more gas flow. If that is correct, what is the diameter of the enlarged port?

I plan on shooting mainly rather heavy cast at sub-sonic velocities.

xacex
04-20-2015, 11:45 AM
If you want to enlarge your port at the carbine position before you go blocking that one, and drilling a pistol port I would go with .125". Right now your port is probably at .110", and that is maximized for supersonic, and suppresses subsonic, but unsuppressed subsonic will not run reliably. That will be over gassed with a suppressor and supersonic, but will be negligible and you should be able to run 4 ways without issue. A pistol port should be .067" to run 4 ways without issue. The problem with re-configuring your barrel for a pistol port is barrel profile. Most barrel profiles change after the gas block, and you would need a lathe to re-profile your barrel for a pistol port location. With the cost of barrels right now I would try opening your port, and if you are not satisfied with that purchase a barrel with a pistol port location.