PDA

View Full Version : Chamber pitting, effect on cartridge cases?

MIEagle
04-20-2015, 10:53 AM
137491137492137493I have an 1873 Springfield with a pitted bore and chamber. Upon firing, the pitted chamber leaves a small "wrinkle" in the case approximately 1/8 inch from the case mouth and also about half way in the case length. I have been shooting the Lyman .457193 with 58 gr of Swiss 1.5. The pitted bore shoots well enough but I'm concerned about the case life. These cases are dedicated to this rifle. Should I have the chamber and bore sleeved or don't worry about it, see what happens? I only fired the cases one time. Thank you.

Lead pot
04-20-2015, 11:11 AM
It would help if you had a photo of the fired case.
My first thought with out seeing your rifle and case in hand is a rung chamber. this can happen with improper loading reduced loads and bullets seated very deep in the case for light loads. I have bore scoped rifles for guys that try to load a .45-70 like a revolver load and end up ringing a chamber.
I hope this not your case.

EDG
04-20-2015, 12:25 PM
MIEagle
Everyone can speculate but no one will really know the effect unless you test it.

Get a set up that you can use to load with at the range. (A Lee whackamole or the Lee thighmaster are two that I know of)
Take 2 or 3 cases to the range and shoot them until you get tired or until they crack.

You might be able to extend the case life by a light anneal of the first half inch of the case mouth.

MIEagle
04-21-2015, 05:52 AM
Here are the pics. Did the best I could with my cell phone. The brass was annealed before loading. Thank you for your help.