PDA

View Full Version : Old man talking smack...and backing it up!

TXGunNut
04-20-2015, 12:14 AM
Was waiting for my shooting buddy at the club today and watched an octogenarian put a 40-something young pup in his place on the trap field. C.S. Erwin has difficulty walking and shouldering his old 1100 but he seldom misses, especially at 17 yds. The 40-something pup was having trouble dumping a box of shells into his vest and C.S. was nice enough to offer to load the poor kid's gun for him. ;-) Then another old codger told the pup C.S. would beat him the next round and C.S. agreed. C.S. didn't miss a bird that round, didn't miss one in the first round either. Old codger is a nationally recognized ATA handicap shooter, he's member #1 at my club and certainly knows his way around a trap field, lol.
Young pup hollered over to the next field after his spanking to ask if C.S. could come shoot over there. Guy on the next field was practicing 25 yd so C.S. shuffled over to give him a few pointers, grinning all the way.

GoodOlBoy
04-20-2015, 03:54 AM
I am a 40 year old pup, but lemme tell ya there are three types I learned a long LONG time ago you just don't worry about cause they are gonna whoop ya on a range, or in a field..

#1 - old military vets who have seen combat - I know that many vets are good, if not great, shots. But I'm here to tell you you get a old grizzled fart who saw the cold side of Korea, the wet side of Vietnam, etc.... ferget it... they learned to live by where that bullet went...

#2 - old cowboys and farmers - old pot hunter's fit the category too. The old fellas, and gals, who had to save a calf, kill a snake, wing a chicken hawk etc just to keep them and theirs going and fed? again leave it be.... they got ya beat

#3 - the old fart who only owns one worn but taken care of gun? he knows how to use that one 99% of the time

It don't bother me to be shown up by a better shot, particularly an old fart. I learned a good part of what I know by listening to old men and old women when I was a kid, and I learn what all I still don't know by still listening to them today.

Richard

MrWolf
04-20-2015, 06:41 AM
I had a guy 20 plus years my senior help me with my doubles shooting - I was almost 50 at the time. Took what he knew and tailored it to my style with a bad back. Made a huge difference with my stance on the stations.

NC_JEFF
04-20-2015, 07:01 AM
I don't mind learning anything from someone that can the same thing easier or better than me. Im a 24 yr experienced hand loader and I feel like a beginner to some of these guys on this forum, and I'm 50. I can still outshoot all my siblings, my kids, cousins, nephews and grandkids. (Grandkids are all under 5yrs old but it sounded good saying it). I look forward to the day when they're helping me with my shooting but I'm not sure its that important or fun to them. TXGunNut I know what you mean, I see quite a few older shooters that I learn from and I'm glad for it. I hope I'm as helpful to younger shooters as some of the "Old Guys" have been to me. Enjoy and be safe y'all.

DCP
04-20-2015, 07:25 AM
As young men grow older Old men become wiser

MT Gianni
04-20-2015, 09:36 AM
So how is helping someone talking smack?

fecmech
04-20-2015, 09:53 AM
I shot sporting clays with a good friend who was 20 years my senior and a former State level ATA competitor. Any time I could get within a couple of birds to him I was a happy camper. He was a real gentleman and I felt terrible when macular degeneration took his vision from him. At 83 yrs old he was still kicking my butt in sporting!

rockrat
04-20-2015, 11:18 AM
We have had some younger fellows at our sight in days give grief to one of our 84 yr old volunteers about shooting. They just don't listen well to what he is saying. Then he proceeds to show them just how it is done. Younger guys complain about hitting the 16" gong @ 500 yds and even the 420 and 300 yd gongs. Older fellow will shoot our 7" gong @500yds with ease.
He was 1st. Cav. and pretty gruff plus he was a sniper in Korea. I listen to him and have learned a lot, plus he would tell me about Korea and what he did. Course, this was after he did his gruff piece on me and I just laughed at him. Told him Dad was a full bird and worse than he was and he reminded me of Dad. I grew up with it and was used to it.
Most people stay away from him and his ways, but I look forward to seeing him at the range, when he comes back from his "snowbird" time.

Hamish
04-20-2015, 03:44 PM
(Ahem) CS LEWIS?

Thats quite funny,,,,,,,,

woodbutcher
04-20-2015, 04:26 PM
;) Seems like there was a quote from a fellow years ago.P.O.Ackley maybe?"Beware the one gun rifleman".
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Rustyleee
04-20-2015, 06:38 PM
I'll take old age and treachery over youth and vigor any time.

Curlymaple42
04-20-2015, 06:41 PM
First time I shot skeet there was a guy there at the range who I later found out was some sort of champion shooter of skeet and such. Well he grabbed the thrower control in one hand and his shotgun in the other up to his shoulder and launched his OWN skeet for a couple stages and hit them all ONE HANDED!!! I couldn't even hit those things with the gun shouldered and aimed before I yelled PULL! Lol!

TXGunNut
04-20-2015, 09:39 PM
So how is helping someone talking smack?

The guy who was having trouble loading shells into his vest is no rookie, actually a pretty good shot himself. C.S. was just having a little fun with him.

TXGunNut
04-20-2015, 09:40 PM
(Ahem) CS LEWIS?

Thats quite funny,,,,,,,,

Sorry, I guess I was thinking along those lines myself. His name is actually C.S. Erwin.

45workhorse
04-21-2015, 07:09 PM
;) Seems like there was a quote from a fellow years ago.P.O.Ackley maybe?"Beware the one gun rifleman".
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo
Beware the one gun rifleman he probably has other fault too!!!!!!!!!

LynC2
04-21-2015, 07:17 PM
Reminds me of:
Mark Twain famously said:

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished by how much he’d learned in seven years.”