PDA

View Full Version : Regarding self made wad punch.

littlejack
04-19-2015, 08:22 PM
Hey members:
I am going to turn myself out a wad punch for a 12 gauge, to use in my Rock Chucker press. I know, why go to the trouble? I can buy them cheaper than make the punch. Well, I got the time, I like makin stuff from metal ( 37 years welder/metal fabricator), I have a nice little Atlas lathe that is setting idle, AND, I want one.
So I said that to say this. In the fab shops, we had punch machines, (iron workers). To punch out certain size holes in metal, you had to use a bottom die that had a bigger hole in it than the size of the top punch punching the hole. Example: 1/2" hole, used a bottom hole of 17/32". A 3/4" hole used a 13/16" bottom hole, etc.
Now the question: Has anyone made one of these punches? If so, how much clearance is needed to punch 1/8" to 1/4" card stock? Shouldn't need too much. Not near as much as for punching metal. All opinions appreciated.
Jack

country gent
04-19-2015, 09:04 PM
The die and punch can actually be the same basic size. we would set the dies to size and punches very close in the can end punches. When they got dull or didnt cut clean the mechanics would use a roller set up to "expand" the punch edge and shear it thru by hand giving size for size and returnning to a sharp clean cut. In a rockchucker press with 7/8 14 threads the 12 ga punch dia going thru the die is going to be bigger than the minor dia of the threads. One of the newer presses with the insert threads will allow the insert to be removed and 1 1/2" threads making this possible to do. Buffalo arms and some other sell these and show a pretty good picture of them to get an idea of what you want.

littlejack
04-19-2015, 10:08 PM
cg:
You are correct that in using a 7/8" x 14 tpi will not work. My press does have the 1 1/4" threaded sleeve.
I already have two sizer dies I made using 1 1/4" grade 5 bolts. These were to size down the .685 hollow base musket conical to fit in a shot wad. I tried those in my 870 rifled barrel. By the way, they didn't fly well at all. GREAT BIG groups.
I do have a sizer die that is .732 bore. I am going to use it for my project. I will leave it as is except I will turn off the inside bell that I put on it to start the bullets I was sizing. I will leave a sharp inside edge to cut the wad material. Then, I just have to make the punch that will fit into the ram as the shell holders do.
Thank you for the information.
Jack

littlejack
04-20-2015, 11:34 AM
It works.
I used my .732 sizer die. I just turned the face of it flat to have a sharp edge all around the bore edge. I then turned a punch that fit like a shell holder in the ram. The punch is approximately 3/4" long, total length. I turned the punch to .729, so the there is some clearance.
Line up in the Rock Chucker was not perfect for the punch and upper die. I had to wriggle the shell holder to get it to slide in the upper die. I noticed that the punch was under some sort of side pressure from the spring clip that holds the shell holder in place. It was only off a couple thousands, so I give it a try.
I grabbed some .065 card material that I had and put a piece over the punch. I brought the ram up to touch the upper die, and whacked the handle with the butt of my hand. Wah-La, a perfect wad punched out at about .735, the same size as the ball I am going to load.
The card material does cushion the punch, and the small line-up issue is not a problem. The card material allows the punch to line up better.
I tried to double up on the material, but no go. I will have to use more .065 wads to take up the space in my hulls.
It worked.
Jack