PDA

View Full Version : Why is my Ejector on my Sig 716 beating up my brass

osteodoc08
04-19-2015, 01:49 PM
I've had a chance to run a few hundred rounds through my Sig 716. It runs like a champ but the ejector is beating up my brass more than I'd like. I've torn it apart and put a light coat of RIG on it which helped quite a bit. The ejector was leaving a small burr on the casing, now it's more of a indention. Just wanted everyone's opinion.

rintinglen
04-19-2015, 01:56 PM
Guns designed with Mil Ops in mind put reliability over pretty much all else--including brass reloading life.
Lightly polishing the edges of the extractor cut out after disassembling the bolt might reduce the imprint, but I think what you've got is pretty much what you are going to get.

mongoose33
04-19-2015, 02:26 PM
Are those reloads or factory loads? I seem to recall reading somewhere that marks like that are a sign of high pressure.

dkf
04-19-2015, 02:28 PM
Looks pretty normal to me. The important thing is the extractor does not slip on the rim and mess up the rim of the brass. That is far more of a PITA than some minor scuffing from the ejector.

osteodoc08
04-19-2015, 02:31 PM
It does this regardless of factory or handloads. I figured that was about as good as I was gonna get. I've pulled it apart and lubed it because it was very dry from the factory. At this point it is cosmetic but I've had to throw out some from early on.

Mongoose-those particular brass were from a lower end plinking load of RL15 and a 150gr FMJ pull down. But they all look like this. IIRC is was 45-46gr RL15, but I'd have to check my notes.

bowenrd
04-19-2015, 03:07 PM
May be over pressure. Same applies to factory ammo. Not saying it is fault of ammo, could be the rifle.

MtGun44
04-19-2015, 06:24 PM
Normal. Gun makers consider brass to be an expended item after firing, want it out
and gone. Not the slightest interested in keeping your brass pristine.

The original 1911 slide smacked the case mouth hard as the case exited, reloaders did
not like it. So - we lowered the side of the ejection port, and now that config is pretty
much standard, except on "GI guns" which beat up the case mouths pretty bad.

Bill

runfiverun
04-20-2015, 12:52 AM
that can be partially controlled through powder speed though.
I have a pair of re-production 1911's and don't have any issue with dinging up the cases.

but Bill is right about the brass being a one and done thing to gun makers, and some ammo manufacturers are pretty close to the same feeling.
as long as it goes bang ejects the brass and hits pretty close to poa, it's good nuff.

warf73
04-20-2015, 02:02 AM
I've had a chance to run a few hundred rounds through my Sig 716. It runs like a champ but the ejector is beating up my brass more than I'd like. I've torn it apart and put a light coat of RIG on it which helped quite a bit. The ejector was leaving a small burr on the casing, now it's more of a indention. Just wanted everyone's opinion.

I've got an L1A1 that does the same thing to all brass, mill surp brass, factory, or reloads. As stated military rifles are designed to remove the brass so the next round can be used (lives of the human out rank brass life).
But so you know I've had real good luck reloading for the L1 and have 4 reloading’s on the current brass (federal). I figure I'll lose it all before it fails, got about 20% loss rate shooting at my private range.

MtGun44
04-20-2015, 02:21 AM
Heck, you ought to have an HK91, darn near shreds the brass . . . . and throws it
at least 30 ft if you don't have the port buffer. Nearly rips the rim off, puts fluting
on the front 75% and puts a giant dent in the side. LOL! Gun and ammo makers
see brass as "consumed" as the bullet leaves the barrel.

osteodoc08
04-20-2015, 06:52 PM
I appreciate the feedback. I'd like to get at least 4-5 loadings out of a piece of brass. I have a few thousand pieces of brass. I figured that would last the life of the barrel. By then I'd of consumed plenty of powder, projectiles and primers. I've really enjoyed the rifle much more than I thought I would. It's accurate, easy on the shoulder, can change it to a single shot if I want with the twist of the gas key. It loves the Hornady 168gr AMaxs and is more accurate than a "battle rifle" has any business being. It's a dang fine rifle and has been my favorite AR patterned rifle so far.

MtGun44
04-21-2015, 12:37 AM
I get hundreds of reloads out of handgun brass. Some has the headstamp
LITERALLY beaten off of the case (each ejector hit is a tiny hammer blow)
the words filled in. Don't sweat it, not remotely like bottleneck rifle
cartridge case life.

fcvan
04-21-2015, 01:17 AM
My Sig 716 only leaves a bit of a mark but it is similar to the picture shown by the OP. My rifle had one box through it by the original owner, and all I have run is lower pressure cast loads. It really likes the NOE 309-150 SP PCd over 28 grains of 4227. It cycles fine at 24 but the groups tightened up at 28. I'm pretty sure factory/reloaded at full pressure will beat the heck out of the brass but I don't load to full pressure. 2150 fps works good enough for my tastes and it sure is fun to plink with .308 Win at about .18 a pop.