PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasonic gun cleaning solutions

cheese1566
04-19-2015, 10:33 AM
I am searching and researching commercial solutions for gun cleaning parts in my ultrasonic cleaner.

any one have experience with the Hornady, new RCBS, or LR Ultrasonic solutions? (Not the brass cleaning solutions)

Hornady and the RCBS look similar and cost about the same. LR is over twice the price. All three make ten gallons.

pme166
04-20-2015, 10:07 AM
I use mpro7 as my primary cleaner in my Stuellersonic. It was not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. I bought mine factory refurbished for about $500 many years back and use it routinely. I believe my unit new runs around $1500. It takes well over a gallon of Mpro7 so I normally keep one used gallon and half along with one new gallon to top off the solution over time.

My routine is run 15 minutes with the heater on and full power with a full tank per disassembled gun. I wipe down and get rid of grease and soft stuff first like loose powder and then into the Ultrasonic it goes. After 15 minutes it comes out immaculate. I normally brush the barrel a few times and look to see if any gunk left in it. If so another 15 minutes along with the next gun. I let the first gun drip dry into a pan.

After all guns are through the Mpro7 stage, I open the drain cock, filter the mpro7 through a coffee filter and then switch to L&R gun oil. Here I just have two full gallons of the stuff as the guns do not seem to absorb much of it. Again, another 15 minutes then the hot oily gun gets drip dried while the next one runs. Once done drain the oil out and pack away.

While the second gun is running in the L&R stage, I conventional lube and assemble the first gun and repeat until all guns are done.

It is hard to describe how clean the guns are out of my ultrasonic. Surgically clean is the best description. It is a clean unlike anything you probably have ever seen frankly. Right down in the roll marks, in the fine scratches of the machining marks is perfectly clean. It is really impressive but putsy. I figure it takes about an hour to do the first gun and then an additional 20 minutes per additional gun.

So bottom line, I use Mpro7 as my cleaner, no dilution, straight up and it runs about $50 a gallon delivered. I use L&R gun oil, straight up at about $30 a gallon delivered (old price though. I have not bought any in years.)

cheese1566
04-20-2015, 09:13 PM
Thanks!
I looked at the Pro7 and debated the initial cost. Their website says to use straight up.

For the cost I was also debating the LR solution as it makes 10 gallons.

My unit holds roughly 2+ quarts up to the rim, but won't need that high of course. I figure 2 quarts shy gets it past the heater on the side of the tank and high enough for parts. Unfortunately, I don't have a drain so have to keep I low enough so can pour back into a jug.

i think I may be able to get a 1/4 sized steam pan and make an indirect pan for the lubricating oil. I plan on LR stuff for that. It is now $50 a gallon.

Nobade
04-22-2015, 07:39 AM
We use a buffing compound remover sold through jewelry supply houses, and that works very well. Here is one that is very similar: http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Rio-Jewelry-Cleaner/336082?***=2 This mixes at 8:1 so you can make 9 gallons of solution for $31.

Stuff like this is way cheaper than solutions sold specifically to clean guns. We do use the L&R oil afterward though. Used to float a pan on the big ultrasonic tank, but ended up buying a second unit and use oil in that one.

-Nobade

kf4zht
04-22-2015, 07:50 AM
I've been using simple green mixed about 1:3 with water. Same mix for everything from guns to small engine carbs.

Does the commercial stuff just work better or is there a reason simple green should be used?

cheese1566
04-22-2015, 02:57 PM
I have read simple green can be harsh on aluminum. I have some plain alum suppressor baffles I would like to clean.

of course, I'll test some scraps first. Just want to spend my fun money on a good product the first time.

Nobade
04-22-2015, 08:32 PM
A lot of those soaps are hard on aluminum. The stuff I use will corrode 7075 in about three seconds. For suppressor baffles, you might try Bore Tech's carbon cutter. That stuff is pretty amazing for getting hard carbon off of parts. You don't use it in an ultrasonic tank though, just soak the parts in it for a while until they're clean. Neat stuff, and you can use the same liquid over and over for a while.

-Nobade

cheese1566
04-22-2015, 10:07 PM
I have some Slip 2000 carbon cutter. I was turned on to that by Sully at an AR15 armorers course. Good stuff!
He also turned me on to Slip 2000 Extreme Weapon Lube EWL and first hand use on Kroil.

Nobade
04-23-2015, 07:44 AM
About the same idea. They work amazingly well!

-Nobade

Geezer in NH
04-30-2015, 05:49 PM
Hint don't use ultra-sound on any case colored metal it will be gone!!!!

Cost me a few hundred for that screw up.

pme166
05-02-2015, 07:26 AM
Thank you for that tip. I have not put anything color case hardened in mine and never would have thought to worry about it. Obviously I won't now!

cheese1566
05-02-2015, 12:33 PM
I think may have to make a few warning labels to put on the side of my machine!

Jeffjmr
05-02-2015, 09:53 PM
Been using Simple Green for a few months on all my modern stuff with good results. Then put some dirty spare 120 year old revolver trigger parts in and they came out the most beautiful blue. Except they were supposed to be straw!