PDA

View Full Version : Are .22 rimfire brass useful?

RogerDat
04-19-2015, 09:33 AM
Swaging is not something I'm into but I thought I saw something on using .22 rim fire cases as jackets. I'm asking because I saw a 5 gallon bucket of them at the scrap yard. If they are something people use I could ask what they want per pound and pick them up and pass them on to forum members.

The .22 brass was of no use to me but the bin full of sheet lead I found did make the trip worthwhile :grin:

andyt53
04-19-2015, 10:32 AM
Yes, people, including myself, derim them and use the as jackets. I would get them if the price was right.

RogerDat
04-19-2015, 11:35 AM
I would just be flipping them at cost so what is a decent price per pound? I have no idea what scrap yard will charge but I sure don't want to buy them at a price that is too high so that no one wants them at that price. I'll probably have to stop in on my way to work Monday in order to get them before they get dumped into a bin.

If I can score a deal and pass it on fine, glad to help out. I just want to make sure I don't buy them for a price that will leave me stuck with them since I have no use for .22 brass.

andyt53
04-19-2015, 11:54 AM
Well I recently purchased 25 pounds from a member here for $80, which included shipping on the large flat rate box. That puts it at $3.20 per pound for that box of brass. As far as other people selling it, I have no clue.

RogerDat
04-19-2015, 02:42 PM
Well I recently purchased 25 pounds from a member here for $80, which included shipping on the large flat rate box. That puts it at $3.20 per pound for that box of brass. As far as other people selling it, I have no clue.

That at least gives me a starting point. Minus shipping it looks like scrap yard would need to be around $2.60 a lb. or less for the brass to make it a decent price.

andyt53
04-19-2015, 03:54 PM
Less is always best! In the end, it's all up to you.

RogerDat
04-19-2015, 04:47 PM
Less is always best! In the end, it's all up to you.

Thanks for the information. I probably won't do it at all if it is close to market price. Not enough of a deal to make it worth the hassle. Never can tell with these guys, sometimes they give really good deals, other times they can be pretty tough negotiators. I figure if there is no one buying the .22's maybe they will sell them for close to what they would get for the brass as scrap metal.

I know there were some other calibers in buckets, I think one of the people there sorts and keeps brass he can use. Saw a bunch of 9mm in one bucket but I think he and I shoot the same revolver calibers so nothing in .38/.357 or .45 LC comes back to the scrap bin after his sorting.