PDA

View Full Version : adding another 550

Dave C.
04-18-2015, 10:50 AM
I would like to buy a second 550 because I'm to lazy to be changing primer feeds.
The press I have now is 30 years old and still makes good match grade ammo.
The question that I have is will the loaded tool heads (14) that I have now work interchangeable
with the new press or will I have to adjust the dies for each press?
I have tool heads that I have not needed to adjust for 20+ years.

Dave C.

Nueces
04-18-2015, 10:59 AM
Because of the numerous tolerances that stack up, it could go either way, but I'd bet on non interchangeability. On the other hand, do you have any die sets that you'd use with both large and small primers? If not, your problem goes away.

I would like to go your way, but I won't devote the space to a second 550. Instead, I just sing "lalalalala" for the minute it takes to switch primer sizes. :mrgreen:

Alvarez Kelly
04-18-2015, 10:59 AM
The fact is, there are manufacturing tolerances. That translates into slight differences between machines. With no other information, I would predict you will have to slightly adjust at least a few of the dies when used on your second Dillon.

Of course, since one press will be for small primers and the other for large primers, once the dies are readjusted, you will be all set.

Nueces
04-18-2015, 11:33 AM
Wo, parallel universe....

r1kk1
04-18-2015, 11:44 AM
You can also buy complete primer assemblies and just swap these when you want and it's faster than swapping large and small bars and tubes.

take care

r1kk1

dddoo7
04-18-2015, 03:24 PM
I bought a second 550 for that purpose and have not had to readjust dies. That being said my first press is only about 1.5 yrs old...so it is the same version as the new one.

It is worth the investment to me. I can change calibers in under 60 sec including shellplate change.

C.F.Plinker
04-18-2015, 05:12 PM
Measuring the distance from the top of a toolhead to the top of each ram will tell you how much change, if any, is needed and which direction to change.

runfiverun
04-19-2015, 12:11 AM
you'll most likely have to slightly change your die settings, it's just the way it is.

I have 4-550's set up [one for each primer type] and two primer tube fillers.
heck I even use one powder type and weight for almost all of my 41 mag 45 colt and 44 mag loads, so I don't even have to change the powder dump setting for the majority of my revolver shooting.
how's that for laziness...
I think the only way to get any lazier is to set one press up for each caliber [like I done with the 650]