PDA

View Full Version : Powder measure problem.

yman
04-18-2015, 07:15 AM
I just started using W296 for 357mag and I like it. Problem is it binds up my lyman 55 powder measure. The Hornady lock and load looks like it might do the job but the reviews aren't that great. The lee perfect powder measure is a good price but I really don't like plastics, plus if 296 binds up the metal I suspect it will lock up the plastic? Rcbs quick change is also in the running. I would like to stay below $100 if I could, anyone out there using W296 or H110, and do you have the same problem? How do you all handle metering this fine powder?

C.F.Plinker
04-18-2015, 09:52 AM
Yep, I found that H110/296 bound up my Dillon 550b. I called the factory and they agreed that a few very fine powders did this but could not offer a solution. I bought a Bonanza Benchrest measure that someone at work was selling. It works like a champ and I haven't had any problems measuring H110/296 with it.

country gent
04-18-2015, 10:00 AM
The powder granuales are working between the drum and housing causing this. I have used 296 in an RCBS uniflow with out poblems a friends leaks it a little bit though my redding did very good with it. A little dandy or that type measure may work nicely with the correct rotor/insert also. Lee ppm may need some tuning adjusting to work well. Its the manufacturering clearences in the measures causing this.

r1kk1
04-18-2015, 12:21 PM
Yep, I found that H110/296 bound up my Dillon 559b. I called the factory and they agreed that a few very fine powders did this but could not offer a solution. I bought a Bonanza Benchrest measure that someone at work was selling. It works like a champ and I haven't had any problems measuring H110/296 with it.

I haven't had that problem in my 550. I load kegs of 296 and #9 with mine.

take care

r1kk1

Doc Highwall
04-18-2015, 01:00 PM
You could also look at a Quick Measure.

http://www.quick-measure.com/index.htm

Nueces
04-18-2015, 01:03 PM
After trying a variety of measures these last 50 years, I've settled on the Redding drum measures. For 231, H110, Bullseye, Unique, Clay Dot and 2400, the 10X and 30BR have been brilliant, smooth and accurate.

The search is over. Chewie, we're home.

r1kk1
04-18-2015, 09:31 PM
You could also look at a Quick Measure.

http://www.quick-measure.com/index.htm

I have one of those!

r1kk1

TheDoctor
04-18-2015, 11:03 PM
I drop H-110 with my LnL and have no problems at all. Tried it with a "Perfect"(lol) powder measure, and it seems that more ended up on the bench than in the cases!

gloob
04-18-2015, 11:07 PM
The lee perfect powder measure is a good price but I really don't like plastics, plus if 296 binds up the metal I suspect it will lock up the plastic?
I think it will. I have lapped and tuned my PPM, and it is perfect with any of my fine ball powders, except H110. H110 makes my PPM feel more like a grinding mill than a measure.

runfiverun
04-19-2015, 12:04 AM
I don't have any problems with H-110 in any of my Dillon measures either.
lately I have been running it and AA#9 through an rcbs measure without issue [shrug] or it spitting powder either.

yman
04-20-2015, 09:42 PM
Well I don't have a Dillon yet, its still on the wish list. Looks like I will have to save my lunch money and buy a higher end powder measure. I tried throwing a lesser charge and using my powder trickler and adding the last little bit, but it just bound up my trickler. What do they make that stuff out of, super glue? Oh well, mite have to just go back to 2400.

bbqncigars
04-21-2015, 11:44 PM
My LNL will handle the fine stuff, but I usually end up using one of my Ohaus Duo Measures.

dudel
04-22-2015, 07:42 AM
Yep, I found that H110/296 bound up my Dillon 550b.

I haven't had that problem with my 550b. Just used some H110 this past weekend for some 357Max. Throwing about 18gr without a stutter.

troyboy
04-22-2015, 09:49 AM
The Lee pro auto disk will perform the task. I did have to trim the riser to not leak AA5. With a little work it does not leak any powder.

cajun shooter
04-22-2015, 10:07 AM
The Lyman 55 is an excellent measure but it does have a problem with certain powders as you have found. I feel it's the three adjustments that gives it a lot of places to cause problems. The RCBS or Redding measures will work better with the powder you have. They may be found for the price range you quoted. I've used them for years with no problems. Later David

Maximumbob54
04-22-2015, 11:06 AM
For everyone that laughs at the Lee Perfect powder measure... We all know it's got adjustable baffles to tighten or slightly loosen them as needed, right?

I load with AA's fine grain powders and none of mine leak. They are also very easy to polish up the insides so they run even smoother than from the factory.

But please, everyone continue with the Lee bashing. It's comical.

Maven
04-22-2015, 11:16 AM
yman, I've also experienced biding with certain powders, e.g., Bullseye, in my Ly. #55 powder measure. One way of dealing with that is to use fewer "slides," as per cajun shooter's suggestion: use the 2 smaller ones for pistol powders (but all 3 for rifle powders such as 4198 or 3031). You'll have to take it apart, clean it, and possibly coat all the moving parts with something like Teflon* to avoid future problems though.

*Lowes sells a Dupont Teflon + volatile liquid carrier for under $8 (I use it on my bike chain since the bike shop version is 1/4 more expensive). If you use it, leave the coated parts in a well ventilated area as the carrier is not something you want to inhale.

gwpercle
04-22-2015, 01:45 PM
Try adjusting your 55 so that you have one deep narrow slit for the powder to drop into, this gives the smallest surface area of powder that will be sheared. I line up all three slides to the far left, flush to the body, then pull all three out just enough to get the weight I want. Make sure they don't overlap each other. If this doesn't work, and the problem is the grains are getting between the body and rotor then , yes, it is worn and probably should be replaced.
The 55 is a good measure once you figure out the triple slide adjustment thing.
Gary