PDA

View Full Version : Videos on cleaning or disassembly of Sharps cap lock?

Naphtali
04-17-2015, 10:31 PM
The query fits no forum. But this one appears to be the closest pattern match.

Standard youtube queries show a bazillion videos of Sharps rifles being shot. I identified zero showing disassembly and/or maintenance of cap lock models. BING and GOOGLE searches for such videos also came up zero.

If you are aware of videos of the disassembly or maintenance of Sharps cap locks, please furnish link(s).

doc1876
04-18-2015, 08:22 AM
I don't have any video but they're easy to do if you need pictures I can get them when I get back in town. Pull the breach as any normal sharps and if you have to soak it to get the expansion ring off , it just slides straight offthere is a screw on the side that helps for cleaning, Taoff the nipple. on the lock place itself take out the 2 screws on the left side gently full of the lock plate and clean as normal.

if you do a lot of shooting you may want to do the lock plate more often, however I clean the breach assembly every time. some of the earlier cap locks had a sliding chamber, it is a pain to get out.

bigted
04-19-2015, 12:33 AM
I too would like to see video of this procedure ... and at least some pictorials on the subject.

.22-10-45
04-19-2015, 01:40 AM
I made up a couple of brass rods flattened on ends like a screwdriver..used to pry out gas ring..other than removing nipple & washing breech block..normal black powder cleaning methods for bore. I have found the lock rarely needs removing.

Nobade
04-19-2015, 07:29 AM
And remember those things are all made differently depending on brand and the whim of the designer at the time. The Shiloh is made correctly like the originals, the Garrett I believe is also, and the Italian ones are a variety of bad ideas put into practice. So exactly how to do your own rifle will depend on which one you own. But the concept is the same for all, take it apart and clean it. Grease everything and put it back together.

-Nobade