PDA

View Full Version : Lee Perfect Powder Measure and Bullseye

Thomas Traddles
04-17-2015, 08:42 PM
I have been using a Lee PPM and have found it to be a very consistent and accurate meter of charges for .38/.357 and .44 special revolver loads. I've run 2400, Red Dot, E3 and Bullseye through it. Bullseye is the problem. The measure seems to drop grains of powder everywhere. This does not occur with any of the other powders. Has anyone else had this experience? Is there a fix?

John Boy
04-17-2015, 09:05 PM
The measure seems to drop grains of powder everywhere. Just adjust the tension of the barrel in the frame with the Phillips Head screw

zuke
04-17-2015, 09:27 PM
I polished/lapped mine with with brass polish. Disassemble, put some on mating surface's and cycle them for about 30 second's. Then wipe clean and repeat a couple time's. Finish cleaning and reassemble, should be a little tighter

Davems
07-02-2016, 02:10 PM
To bring this back...I was thinking about buying one. I reload for 38 spl. and use either red dot or bullseye. How does red dot work in the Lee perfect Powder measure?

mdi
07-02-2016, 02:47 PM
Yep, Lee's PPM leaks fine powders around the drum/frame juncture. Lapping works, adjusting the tension works. I would place a sheet of paper beneath mine to catch the granules of powder when I wasn't willing to take the time (?) to adjust it. But, mine doesn't leak with most of the powders I use...

DerekP Houston
07-02-2016, 02:48 PM
I use the lee auto disk + pro upgrade, it now leaks MUCH less than the original hopper. It is just the nature of the beast with the lee powder measures, they will leak a bit unless you fine tune them with sandpaper and the line up. I do not have any red dot so no experience on that. I've had great success with the following powders in 38 special both in performance and metering thru my autodisk.

hp-38
titegroup
cfe pistol
western zip
western silhoutte
bullseye

The "chunkier" flake powders like unique worked decently enough but their was a higher deviation between thrown charges. If you are near the bottom of the load data like I usually run it is nothing to concern with.

jimkim
07-02-2016, 06:22 PM
To bring this back...I was thinking about buying one. I reload for 38 spl. and use either red dot or bullseye. How does red dot work in the Lee perfect Powder measure?
I use both BE and Red Dot in mine. It is the only measure I have that will consistently throw 1.5gr of BE. I also have a Lee AutoDisk with the adjustable charge bar Pro upgrade, an RCBS Uniflow, and Hornady LNL. I haven't dropped any real small charges of Red Dot yet, but it has done well with both 6.0 and 13.0 grains.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

nsdread07
07-07-2016, 11:12 AM
I use the pro auto disk with Bullseye and have had no issues with leaking.