PDA

View Full Version : Ever worked on a Bo Mar sight?

fourarmed
03-12-2008, 02:47 PM
I have a problem with the Bo Mar sight on my XP-100. I switched to cast this year, and I had to elevate the sight an extra 20 clicks or so at the ram line. In the process of loading and handling, I would occasionally push down on the sight leaf, and it wouldn't fully return to the elevation setting.

I worked it over so that it operated more smoothly, which required a lot of disassembling and reassembling. Now the detent pin doesn't bear hard enough on the elevation screw to hold it or to produce tactile clicks. The detent pin is powered by a tiny spring that fits in a ridiculously small hole bored through from the front of the movable part of the sight. The front end of the spring presses on the pivot pin. As I had the pivot pin out a number of times, I suppose I somehow jammed up the works or broke off a bit of the end of the spring.

Any experience or ideas? It occurred to me while writing this that one of the smallest bits on a torch tip cleaner might get in there and pull the works out.

danski26
03-13-2008, 01:32 AM
I would contact bo-mar and see what they say. Ship it back? Or at least offer suggestions for a fix. www.bo-mar.com

Lumpie
03-13-2008, 01:52 AM
I have one on a series 70 Colt. It is 2 inches extended. I had the same problem. I sent in back. When I got it back, it seamed that they had installed a stronger spring. Lumpie

Jon K
03-13-2008, 02:00 AM
You need to see if the sight still operates ok in the lower positions. If still ok, readjust(lower) the front sight to use the rear in a lower position around 10 clicks to the closest target.

When installing/removing the pivot pin, you need a small pin to depress the spring. if you have cut or damaged the spring, call Bomar for a replacement. I used to have some, I'll look tomorrow.

Jon

fourarmed
03-13-2008, 03:48 PM
I had already lowered the sights, and by all accounts, Bomar is out of business, but I sent an email to the address given on their website, which is still there.

JMax
03-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Son & father are gone and so is the company. There are "Bomar" like sights so you get to buy another one.

fourarmed
03-13-2008, 05:23 PM
That's what I heard, too. Fortunately, I had a second sight that came off my wife's XP when she went scoped. However if JonK has a spare spring, it would give me a warm, fuzzy feeling to have a backup.

If I just trimmed a coil off the one in the sight, it might be possible to insert a short plunger behind it and get the tension back up. Got to get it apart, though.

Jon K
03-13-2008, 10:31 PM
fa,

Sorry can't find it.

Try Century Spring Corp. These guys will have it or will make it.
http://www.centuryspring.com/?crtag=Google1&gclid=COLH5f_Gi5ICFQqjPAodcSYcFA

Jon

Johnw...ski
03-14-2008, 06:20 AM
Why don't you measure the remains of the spring with a micrometer or caliper and try your local hardware store. If that fails Brownells sells a spring assortment
that should have the size, then all you have to do is cut it to length.

Every spring in the action I built (see avatar picture) came from that kit.

Also MSC Industrial Supply (they are online) sells every spring you could imagine individually or in small packages.

Good Luck,

John

Dave Berryhill
03-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Like the others suggested, measure the OD of the spring and also the diameter of the wire. Try Wolff Gunsprings at http://www.gunsprings.com/ They are a "gun friendly" company and will probably help you if you call them on the phone.

They will either have the correct spring that you need or a length of spring that you can cut to the correct length.

JSH
03-23-2008, 11:31 PM
don't know if this will help, but here is a link

http://www.ihmsa.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2732#post2732

swabbie
04-20-2008, 02:53 PM
LPA makes sights which fit in the Bomar cut.I know this because LPA sights came on my Para ordnance P16-40,and I replaced them with Bomars..this has been 8-10 years ago.