PDA

View Full Version : Want opinions on power case trimmers

USMC87
04-17-2015, 07:07 PM
I was wanting to see what power case trimmers you use and if you would recommend it to someone looking to buy one?

lightman
04-17-2015, 07:25 PM
I use a Giraud for my high volume stuff. It trims and deburrs inside and out. Every case is within .001 and I can trim 14 or 15 a minute. Its expensive but I would buy it again.

Kevin Rohrer
04-17-2015, 08:07 PM
Girard, hands down. Pricey, but so worth it.

If you have lots of brass to trim, Girard is the way to go. I just got done doing 3k .30Carbine brass. Sat in front of the TV and did it in 10% of the time it would have taken if I had used any hand trimmer. The Girard also automatically deburs and chamfers at the same time.

Waldog
04-17-2015, 09:40 PM
Concur with the Girard! I hated trimming cases until I got my Girard. It is simple to use and I trim my rifle cases each time they are fired. It is amazing how SOME cases will stretch after one firing. Most of the hi intensity 22cal rifle rounds stretch a lot each time they are fired; 223, 22-250, 220 Swift, etc.

Yodogsandman
04-17-2015, 09:47 PM
I have the RCBS one. Works well but a little slow, I guess. I have never used any other or cared to investigate further. My elbow feel much better now, for a while I trimmed quite a bit by hand crank each year. I just kept upgrading my RCBS trimmer as I went along.

wordsmith
04-17-2015, 09:49 PM
Speaking for those I own.... 1st choice - Giraud. I have one with about a dozen caliber adapters and use it extensively. 2nd choice - WFT / WFT2 trimmers. Distance 3rd - RCBS Trim Pro Power trimmer (*** really). 1 and 2 work on the same principle (space off shoulder), and *** is nearly as fast. If you only do a few hundred here and there, Option 2 is plenty good. Volume shooters and those who want the best should go Option 1. Option 3 is for masochists.

kfarm
04-18-2015, 09:11 AM
Mounted a Forster base on my new mini mill, trimmed, cut out crimp and cleaned up flash hole 500 pieces of 308 in less than an hour. My RCBS motorized trimmer is now up for sale.

1bluehorse
04-19-2015, 10:55 AM
Bought the Frankford Arsenal case prep center several months back. Haven't done 1,000s of cases on it but the several hundred I have done were right on...I did change the cutter head and primer pocket reamer to the RCBS ones (they're much better)....it also spaces of the shoulder (won't do straight wall cases) and comes with collets for just about any rifle caliber....motor has a lot of torque, it's fairly quiet, has some weight to it, easy to setup and use.....for 223 brass, to do all functions including primer pocket reaming is in the 15-20 second area per (my speed).....cost is in the 150 range complete....I won't give it a big endorsement because I have no idea of longevity as it's only been out a short while.....my short term impressions are very favorable though....some one has to be first guinea pig.....[smilie=2:

gnostic
04-19-2015, 11:01 AM
Do you have a photo? I'm thinking of doing the same with my drill press...

troyboy
04-20-2015, 10:17 AM
I use the Lee system that uses spindle and shellholder. It can be used by hand or powered. Simple, inexpensive.

EDG
04-20-2015, 02:03 PM
I have used a Forster since 1975. The thread on the cutter shank is 5/16"-24 (same as the old studs used for carburetors)
I put a nut on it and drive it with a battery powered drill.

Before buying a high priced high volume trimmer I would investigate a small bench top lathe to trim cases.
It might not be fast, fast, fast but while the fast, fast, fast, fast guys wonder where to get expanders and sizers and etc you can make your own with the little lathe once you learn how to run it.

troyboy
04-20-2015, 02:11 PM
Excellent advice EDG. The Mini lathe is one of the best investments ever to grace my bench.

country gent
04-20-2015, 03:05 PM
I made a foresster style base from rcbs collet and sleeve. Trim with it in my bench top drill press its fairly quick and is easy. The cutter is in the chuck so no waiting for it to stop to change cases. One thing on newer drill presses is the stops are plastic and have some flex to them. I made an all steel one that clamps to spindle and used the existing stop plate. much more solid and accurate. Even better would be a rod to hit on the collet base from the spindle plate as a dead length stop. I would like to make a simple plexi glass gaurd for around the cutter to contain chips also. Trimming at 1800 - 2000 rpms throws those fine chips everywhere.

RickF
04-20-2015, 07:18 PM
Giraud is what I use and although a little pricey it is worth every penny for me and my setup. A mini lathe is one of the items on my eventual do get list.

kfarm
04-20-2015, 07:53 PM
I made the adapter for the RCBS 3way cutter. Inch bar stock, drilled and tapped 3/8"x24 with a 3/8" shaft. Mounted the Forster base on a 4" aluminum plate slotted to bolt to the mills base. Was able to trim 500 308's in about an hour. Like other have said a lathe and mil have been the best money I've spent in a long time. Here is a shot of the base and cutter on my Mill.

bbqncigars
04-21-2015, 11:21 PM
I am happy with my drill powered Wilson. It has the added advantage of being the best primer pocket crimp remover that I've tried. My mini-lathe was a great purchase, but be warned. The cost of accessories can easily add up to the cost of the lathe (and then some).

rbt50
04-22-2015, 01:34 AM
I used them all at one time or another . the ones I have now are girand and Dillon.

TheDoctor
04-22-2015, 11:06 AM
I have the RCBS power trim pro. It is good for what it is, but if you add the 3 way cutter with all the mandrels you will need, it starts getting somewhat pricey. I like that it trims to overall length, and NOT being dependent on the shoulder, but it is rather slow. And the 3 way cutter I bought for it has a LOT of runout.

Maximumbob54
04-22-2015, 11:53 AM
I was about to spend Giraud money and someone told me to try a WFT first. I still have that WFT and no Giraud. I've done thousands of .223 cases in the WFT and the only reason I don't own one for every caliber is I don't shoot in volume enough to justify them. As long as you keep the cutter sharp in it then the case length is very repeatable. The one and only downside to them is there doesn't seem to be a three way cutter possible in them. But I reload with an M die before seating so I don't even bother chamfering the neck anymore. I did notice if I deprime and trim then tumble them that the square cut edge rounds down enough to not require chamfering before seating if you don't use the M die.

03fatboy
04-22-2015, 10:40 PM
I'm agree with 1bluehorse in post #8 about the frankford,I bought mine to do.233/5.56 cases.
Haven't done but maybe 500 or so but like it so far,it's not a high end trimmer but it has done a good job .

PbHurler
04-23-2015, 06:54 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here; but is not the Giraud trimmer set up / designed to trim bottleneck type cases only?. I have a Giraud (& LOVE it) & the case holders are adjusted to headspace off the shoulder of the case to set your trim length. I do not see case holders for straightwall cases on Girauds' website??

Just a thought if USMC87 was looking to trim straightwalls...................

lightman
04-23-2015, 10:10 AM
I'm not seeing where he posted the cartridge that he wanted to trim, but the Giraud does index off of the case shoulder. I see 30 Carbine listed on the Giraud site, but I'm not sure how that works? I'm sure happy with mine. When I start loading Prairie Dog ammo, it sure makes quick work of a big tub of brass.

MaryB
04-23-2015, 10:12 PM
Little Crow Gunworks Worlds Finest Trimmer http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/trimmers.html Works off the shoulder, finger held case so fast to use. Leaves a smooth square cut(would be a second step if you want it chamfered, been debating a specially made cutter head).

http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/images/wft.jpg

trails4u
04-23-2015, 10:25 PM
WFT for me for volume rifle stuff...... :) Cheap, efficient, repeatable and accurate. Can't ask for much more in my book. (BTW - Can't afford a Giraud, so can't compare!)

Dhammer
04-24-2015, 12:22 AM
Love the mill set up. I had seen one for a full size mill before, but haven't been able to find any info since. I've got an M head mill, I'd love to set up like one shown on page 1.

USMC87
04-26-2015, 06:36 PM
I have been using an RCBS with a drill hooked to it and it wears me out, I'm looking to find something better for bottleneck and straight wall cases. I appreciate all the info so far.

goryshaw
04-27-2015, 05:30 PM
Just picked up a WFT2 with .223 and .30-06 adaptors, after having a slam fire in an AR-15 at the CMP Oklahoma games. Had to pickup a new drill with 1/2 inch chuck as as well. Have done approx 1k 5.56/.223 in the last week, with another 1500 or so LC cases ready to go. More tedious to hand chamfer the mouths than it is to trim the cases.

Getting my knee replaced tomorrow, so will spend the downtime doing the remaining LC cases, then swaging the primer pockets. Should be able to get a couple thousand loaded for practice and matches later this summer and fall.

David2011
04-29-2015, 01:03 AM
Goryshaw,

Best wishes with the surgery. My brother had both done at once. He used a walker for a day, crutches for two days and was walking after that without props. Walking; not dancing. Prayers going your way.

--and welcome to CastBoolits!

Wish the WFT2 had been available when I got mine. It's trimmed at least 3000 so far without a hitch. The Lyman case prep station with Hornady primer pocket cutters really helps on volume processing. The Hornady cutters are tool steel and SHARP.

David

fast ronnie
04-29-2015, 01:31 AM
I use a 5-c collet fixture with emergency collets cut to fit the cases. It works like a forster (I have one of those,too) but the cam works a little faster. I set it up in the milling machine and can hold .001 easily. I could also set it up on the drill press, but using the mill is faster for me. For a cutter, I use a counterbore with interchangable pilots. When I need a differtent size pilot, I turn one down to fit what I'm working on. Quicker than ordering one as shipping time is about six steps from lathe to mill.

kryogen
05-01-2015, 09:57 PM
I ise a wft. My 223 one is ok, but it sometimes leaves a jagged edge. Also, unless you hold the EDIT: Inner (headspacing part), it rotates and it tends to scratch the cases a lot. I kind of dislike that, its like a weak point for head separation.
My 308 one doesnt work so well, it really jumps and the case necks end up looking like a saw blade....

overall, its ok for the price but i would give it a 7 max. cases need both a chamfer and debur. I use a hornady motorized tool. Should have gotten the lyman though, its flat and larger.

if i shot more i would just get the giraud. Quick, reliable, chamfers and debur.... No fooling around.

I have used the lee but with a drill, the pin is too soft and get worn out so the oal gets progressively shorter. The two i have ran only did 300 or so ases before they were ruined..... Forget it for any volume.

Case Stuffer
05-02-2015, 07:41 AM
I ise a wft. My 223 one is ok, but it sometimes leaves a jagged edge. Also, unless you hold the outer shell, it rotates and it tends to scratch the cases a lot.

I find this a bit confusing as the part I would think of as being the outer shell is the main(?) housing and must turn with the cutter. One could hold the inner race of the ball bearing which has the case holder in it but I do not find this necessary. I have only had a few cases to get lightly scratched out of over 1,000 and that was caused from applying to much force.

My 308 one doesnt work so well, it really jumps and the case necks end up looking like a saw blade....

Sounds like over agressive cutting , perhaps try using less force or run the cutter faster or even a combination of both.

I was a Tool & Die Maker , preccession machniest and plant engineer for over 40 years so well understand the difference between lettting a cutter do its' job and trying to force it.

Case Stuffer
05-02-2015, 07:46 AM
Just picked up a WFT2 with .223 and .30-06 adaptors, after having a slam fire in an AR-15 at the CMP Oklahoma games. Had to pickup a new drill with 1/2 inch chuck as as well.

WFT uses a 3/8" dia. 4 flute end mill as the cutter thus a 3/8 " drill motor works just fine.

kryogen
05-02-2015, 10:04 AM
I meant the inner bearing thing, where it headspaces.
It seems like the finish in mine isnt so perfect, and it tends to "cut a line" all around the case..... I am not a machinist and I don't really know how to fix that.

I have tried every speed and presure combination.

goryshaw
05-02-2015, 03:34 PM
WFT uses a 3/8" dia. 4 flute end mill as the cutter thus a 3/8 " drill motor works just fine.
The WFT works with a 3/8 in chuck, but the WFT2 requires a 1/2 in chuck. I went with the WFT2 so I could get the interchangeable inserts rather than needing a complete WFT for each caliber I need to trim.

jameslovesjammie
05-02-2015, 04:45 PM
Another satisfied WFT2 user here! I use it for .30-06, .270, .270 WSM, .30-30, .223/5.56, 6.8, .243. Extremely consistent lengths and no issues! What more could you ask for?!?

MaryB
05-02-2015, 11:32 PM
In my WFT I find a lighter touch works for a cleaner cut. So it takes 2 seconds longer... to much force seemed to leave more of a burr.

Lloyd Smale
05-03-2015, 07:43 AM
don't know whats best but ive got an rcbs and ill say this. I actually wore the bearings out in mine twice. The great thing about rcbs is you box it up send it in and it comes back reconditioned like new. Cutter head gets dull call them up and replacement is on the way free.

Twicepop
05-03-2015, 08:55 AM
I have a Lyman that I've used for over twenty years. I've trimmed 20+ thousand cases on it, bottle neck and straight wall combined. It holds tolerances of plus or minus .001" or better. If or when it quits, I'll replace it with another Lyman.

kryogen
05-03-2015, 09:13 AM
Wat speed do you run the wft at?

tchepone
05-03-2015, 10:23 AM
I have used a Gracey since 1995. I have trimmed many many thousands of cases and never had a problem with it. It registers on the case shoulder, trims and chamfers in a single operation. It requires a different case holder per caliber. http://www.matchprep.com, Phone 661-822-5383.

Artful
05-03-2015, 01:20 PM
I prefer my Forster Original Case (http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=CB85VblhGVZ23D4TW-QPb74CYAozA1b8GpJKxhdwBpumipsIBCAQQASgDYMneyobEo8g XoAHUiJH9A8gBB6oEJ0_QeFPDmCD1i9lFNHvaTB5gQNbf6xTdl BgQCVSzV3tgpVcTL3ldZboFEwjeh96WiqbFAhXHlogKHTp0ALP ABQXKBQCgBiaAB5T37gKIBwGQBwKoB6a-G9gHAeASsdTvzaievaxa&ei=blhGVd6YDMetogS66IGYCw&sig=AOD64_3B8sYsE3CbC7RtyozjYTcUnVTlsw&ctype=5&rct=j&q=&sqi=2&ved=0CCEQww8&adurl=http://midwayusa.com/product/269638/forster-original-case-trimmer%3Fcm_mmc%3Dpf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google) Trimmer for general use
I can power it with a drill - I can hollow point, inside or outside
neck thin/uniform cases - Collets and pilots for anything I want.

- but I do want a ***2

shooterg
05-03-2015, 07:08 PM
Used a Gracey since 1999. Perfectly happy with it, but I would buy a Giraud now if I had to choose. If you shoot High Power you need one - time saved is money saved.

kryogen
05-03-2015, 08:34 PM
wft on my press drill I can do 1000 rounds an hour or so, though. quite quick.

kryogen
05-03-2015, 08:35 PM
wft on my press drill I can do 1000 rounds an hour or so, though. quite quick. A case in each hand with a leather glove, and while one trims, one picks up another one.... left, right, left, right.... 2 secs per case.

but then you have to remove the burs and that takes another while.