PDA

View Full Version : What Is This Handgun?...

BCB
04-17-2015, 06:34 PM
It is a S&W 38 Special...

I acquired it many years ago from my grandpa's estate sell...

Rumor has it that it was my Great Aunt's and she worked at a Postal Service location at a Railroad station. Maybe mail was delivered there by train? I do believe she was a Government worker, but I am uncertain of this...

I am also uncertain of the years this could have been, but maybe the late 40's?...

The serial number is V107XXX and it has a lanyard on the butt of the hand grip...

Dang things shoots pretty good at about 25 feet with a Keith boolit or a full WC...

Any help?...

Thanks...BCB

JSnover
04-17-2015, 06:40 PM
I can read "made in USA" on the frame but can't make out what is stamped on the barrel.

BCB
04-17-2015, 06:55 PM
i can read "made in usa" on the frame but can't make out what is stamped on the barrel.

38 s. & w. Special ctg

(Note that s. & w. and ctg are capital letters. They didn't show up that way in this post)

Outpost75
04-17-2015, 07:04 PM
http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-hand-ejectors-1896-1961/287974-pre-victory-victory-model-timeline.html

1942: The Victory Models - the V-prefix (Victory) serialization was started at V1, reaching (approximately) V210000 at year-end 1942. Grip panels were changed sometime early in 1942 (in the low 900,000 SN range) from checkered wood with medallions to simpler smooth round top wooden stocks without medallions. A sandblasted Parkerized (phosphate) finish replaced the Black Magic oxide finish beginning in early May 1942 at serial number (approximately) 940000 to further speed up manufacture....
It has been stated that the majority of all 1942 revolvers produced in the serial number range of V6 to V40000 will be found chambered in .38 S&W caliber, but without any doubt, some in this range were also produced in caliber .38 S&W Special.....

It has been stated that there were approximately 85,000 revolvers (both late pre-V series and V series) having factory U. S. Navy markings on the top strap, shipped from about April 1942 (starting at a SN of approximately 982000) through March 1943 against two Navy contracts and one Army contract. Thereafter, revolvers produced for the U. S. Navy, starting at (approximately) SN V267000, were obtained from S&W through U. S. Army-administered contracts and were no longer given factory U. S. Navy property markings. Some Navy revolvers are found having paint-filled U. S. Navy markings engraved on the left side of the frame under the hammer. Such markings were not applied by S&W, and no authoritative information concerning their origin and purpose has been presented.....

Except for the absence of any military-related markings, non-military use revolvers were identical in form and finish to contemporary military production. Additionally, some revolvers having no property markings were also shipped to the United States Maritime Commission (for Merchant Marine use), beginning in the high SN 900000 range (just prior to the early 1942 changeover to the Victory-series serial numbering), continuing until at least the V500000 range. The exact number is unknown. Unmarked M&P revolvers made for the OSS and a very few for the U. S. Coast Guard are also stated to be known.

1943 – Victory production reached serial number (approximately) V490000 by year-end 1943. Property marking of Navy-contract revolvers in caliber .38 S&W Special by the factory was discontinued about March 1943 at a serial number of (approximately) V267000. Navy revolvers with serial numbers above that number will be marked the same as all other military Victory-model revolvers, so it is not possible to identify late Navy revolvers, other than by obtaining a factory letter establishing where they were sent. However, it has been stated that most "U. S. Property" - stamped Victory models chambered in .38 Special were shipped to the U. S. Navy during the War, principally for use by Naval flight crews. While a precise serial number is unknown, the previous "United States Property" topstrap stamping was replaced by the simpler "U. S. Property" probably at around SN 270,000 or slightly lower, in early 1943.

1944 – Victory production reached serial number (approximately) V740000 by year-end 1944, with few changes made in features and finish.

1945: The S-Victories – An improved hammer block safety design was developed and incorporated during the late 1944 to very early 1945 period, identified by changing the serial number V-prefix to an SV-prefix, beginning at a serial number stated to be SV769001 (this serial number is debatable, and may be lower). British .38/200 revolver production ceased on March 27, 1945. Production of the SV-series revolvers in .38 Special caliber for U.S. military use continued, but "officially" ceased at serial number SV 811119 on August 27, 1945. However, higher SV-prefix serial numbers are known to exist, beyond SV 813000. At least one factory letter indicates that the SV series could have continued to approximately VS(sic)825000....

Some earlier V-series serial numbered revolvers were also later converted to use the improved hammer safety, and those will have "S" stampings on the upper sideplate limb and on the butt to indicate that such a conversion was made. It is likely that only a small number of such conversions were performed, as it was an expensive procedure. Post-war M&P civilian revolver production is stated to have been "officially" resumed starting at serial number S 811120 (on 9/12/1945), with commercial blue finish and checkered wooden Magna service stocks. But there is some evidence to believe this starting serial number of the S-series is incorrect and may well be somewhat higher than S 811120. The details concerning transformation of serial numbers from the SV-series to the S-series during the immediate postwar period is incompletely defined and requires more research.

There is no method to determine if a specific M&P serial number is associated with the caliber or to where the revolvers were shipped by the factory, other than by obtaining a factory letter. The caliber (.38 S&W or .38 S&W Special) will be stamped into the right side of the barrel. Revolvers made for wartime U. S. service (for both civilian and military use) in caliber .38 S&W Special will most commonly have 4" barrels. Production for the British Commonwealth military in caliber .38 S&W will most commonly have 5" barrels, and as previously stated, the early South African revolvers may have 4" barrels. There are exceptions, as both shorter (2") and longer (6") factory barrel lengths are known. Victory-series revolvers having 2" factory barrels are unusual and of high collector interest. After 1941, revolvers intended for military use (both U. S. and British) will normally have property stampings on the top strap such as "United States Property" (until about SN V 270000), "U. S. Property" (balance), or "U. S. Navy." The former two property markings were used on revolvers made for the British Commonwealth because after the passage and implementation of the U. S. 1941 Lend-Lease Act, all revolvers (and most other items of war material) supplied to the British Commonwealth (and other Allied) forces during the war technically remained U. S. Property.

Ithaca Gunner
04-17-2015, 07:11 PM
A S&W Military and Police model of 1905. Looks like a 4" barrel. I have one identical except for the lanyard swivel. Mine was made in 1935. Your sr. #, I believe indicates a Victory model produced during WWII for civilian guards mainly at war factories, but we're issued elsewhere too. Most were 5" parkerized and a rough finish. Also may have "United States Property" stamped on the barrel.

BCB
04-18-2015, 08:37 AM
A S&W Military and Police model of 1905. Looks like a 4" barrel. I have one identical except for the lanyard swivel. Mine was made in 1935. Your sr. #, I believe indicates a Victory model produced during WWII for civilian guards mainly at war factories, but we're issued elsewhere too. Most were 5" parkerized and a rough finish. Also may have "United States Property" stamped on the barrel.

I think you all hit the nail on the head...

It appears to be the 1942 model, but it doesn't have the checkered hand grip as indicated they were changed to smooth around #900000. Maybe a "surplus" one that changed a bit...

So if it was used for civilian guards in war factories, maybe the rumor that my Aunt used it while working with the U.S. Postal service at the railroad station. Maybe they had them also. Or, she just got one somehow and carried it...

I have seen pics of her and she was quite attractive. Tall and thin wearing a long dress and she had short hair as I guess might have been the style then...

Thanks all...BCB

FergusonTO35
04-18-2015, 10:52 PM
The M&P revolver had a long and honorable military career like the 1911 did, I wish it got the same amount of fame and admiration.

Ithaca Gunner
04-18-2015, 11:42 PM
I think you all hit the nail on the head...

It appears to be the 1942 model, but it doesn't have the checkered hand grip as indicated they were changed to smooth around #900000. Maybe a "surplus" one that changed a bit...

So if it was used for civilian guards in war factories, maybe the rumor that my Aunt used it while working with the U.S. Postal service at the railroad station. Maybe they had them also. Or, she just got one somehow and carried it...

I have seen pics of her and she was quite attractive. Tall and thin wearing a long dress and she had short hair as I guess might have been the style then...

Thanks all...BCB

It's possible some were issued to postal employees. I read a long time ago that U.S. Model 1917 revolvers were at one time issued to post carriers.

pworley1
04-18-2015, 11:46 PM
I have one in 38 s&w. They are great shooters.

MtGun44
04-18-2015, 11:56 PM
The Victory models that I am familiar with were for Naval Aviators, my Dad had one, unfortunately
stolen by the movers in one of our many moves. We had it in the early 60s, used it for shooting
sharks and barracuda that we had on a hook, too dangerous to boat them alive. I have a
copy that has been chrome plated, another regrettable bubba job.

Yours is early, it would seem from the SN. Is there any family history that it was issued
by the govt? Many were surplused and in general use as "working pistols" after WW2,
They were considered very much second class guns at the time due to wartime park finish,
although functionally they are just fine.

Ithaca Gunner
04-19-2015, 12:46 AM
MtGun44, I remember a friend of mine who upon his return from Vietnam became a guard at a Navy depot, late 1960's. His issue weapon was a S&W Victory Model.

nicholst55
04-19-2015, 01:08 AM
I had two of those revolvers in my Arms Room at Ft. Campbell, KY, in 1976. After a few months we turned them in and drew two brand new M10 S&W revolvers to replace them. They were part of our authorized ten (10) revolvers at the time.

Boolit_Head
04-19-2015, 01:55 AM
I have a Victory serial numbered 2 inch barreled S&W 38 inherited from my Father in Law. We think he bought it at the end of the war possibly around Perl.

FergusonTO35
04-19-2015, 05:58 PM
I wonder if anybody has written books on the military use of .38 Special revolvers? From what I can tell they were commonly carried by pilots, sentries, and military police well into the 1980's. At some point the Ruger Service Six was also adopted.

I'm a big fan of medium frame .38 Special revolvers and have an S&W 10-5, Ruger Service Six, and Taurus 82. All are great shooters.

Multigunner
04-19-2015, 09:49 PM
Weren't some of the first British contact S&W revolvers chambered in .38 S&W but bore barrels marked .38 S&W Special?
Been many years since I read up on these but IIRC S&W had defaulted on the S&W 9mm Light Rifle contact and offered the British revolvers with value equal to the money the British had given them up front for R&D on the 9mm project.
S&W had a slew of .38 Special revolvers and frames and parts stock piled due to cancelation of police dept contracts due to serious money shortages in most city Police departments at that time.
They manufactured the .38 S&W cylinders and finished these out for the British.

It could be that most of these .357 bore revolvers were marked with the 38 S&W roll marke but I think the book said that some had the .38 Special roll mark.

The .38 special bores were supposedly a few thousandths tighter than standard S&W bores, .357 vs .361, the result being better accuracy with the British milspec .380 revolver cartridge.
The Enfield and Webley revolvers had a generous bore size up to .363 that worked okay with the old .380/200 lead bullet, but the newer .380 with jacketed 170 gr bullet was only accurate in a tighter bore.

With so many of the British surplus revolvers rechambered or given a replacement .38 special cylinder things could get confusing.

I've found .38 Special cases that had been fired in a rechambered British cylinder, they aren't that hard to full length resize but at the time I was neck sizing only so I had to chuck them.

Speedo66
04-20-2015, 02:00 PM
My father worked for the post office for a while in the 50's in NYC. He was issued a revolver as needed when he was in charge of registered mail for the day. People used to send valuables, i.e., jewelry, etc. through the mail registered and insured. Although he personally had WWII combat experience with weapons, no training was provided to the postal clerks who had to possess the revolvers. It was very closely watched, and you could lose your job if any registered mail was misplaced. Perhaps that's how your aunt came in contact with the revolver.

BCB
04-20-2015, 02:11 PM
My father worked for the post office for a while in the 50's in NYC. He was issued a revolver as needed when he was in charge of registered mail for the day. People used to send valuables, i.e., jewelry, etc. through the mail registered and insured. Although he personally had WWII combat experience with weapons, no training was provided to the postal clerks who had to possess the revolvers. It was very closely watched, and you could lose your job if any registered mail was misplaced. Perhaps that's how your aunt came in contact with the revolver.

WOW...

Interesting. Maybe my Aunt actually did get this handgun as part of her job at the railroad station associated with the USPS...

I wish I would have been old enough at our family reunions in the early 60's to have wondered about her and asked questions. But, teens were to seen and not heard as it was taught by my family...

Thanks...BCB

Dutchman
04-21-2015, 12:28 AM
I have seen pics of her and she was quite attractive. Tall and thin wearing a long dress and she had short hair...

Well, we've all heard the rumor on the internet but as yet we haven't seen the EVIDENCE!!!

Dutch