PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight Arbor Press

kenyerian
04-17-2015, 09:03 AM
Although I have got along without one for years I've been looking at getting an Arbor press. What are some of the pro's and Cons of the one Harbor Freight sells? What all do you guys use them for? Do you use them a lot or just for special occasions .

ioon44
04-17-2015, 09:10 AM
I have been reloading for almost 50 years and never used one.

SeabeeMan
04-17-2015, 09:12 AM
I had looked into them when I was looking at buying one of the FreeChex gas check makers that uses one, but that is all the further I ever got with it.

texassako
04-17-2015, 09:12 AM
Pro is that it is cheap, sturdy, and works. I have not run into a con, and use it for much more than this hobby.

Alexn20
04-17-2015, 09:21 AM
I find tools such as anvils, vices, crowbars, presses etc. from Harbor Freight suit me very well. You cant beat the prices and I have had no trouble with tools that don't have "moving parts". I have not had the same experience with power tools.

IMO I would get the press.

pworley1
04-17-2015, 09:30 AM
If you want an arbor press for general use or for reloading, The harbor freight press is a good choice. I don't not use mine for anything related to reloading, but it has never failed to perform when I have used it in general.

GhostHawk
04-17-2015, 09:32 AM
Actually I have a Chicago Electric 4" angle grinder that is going strong for 18 years that I got at Harbor Freight.
And I have used, and abused it, and it keeps on ticking.

My advice, look hard at the quality before buying.
What is there that can wear, get lost, or fail?

I have to admit I have been thinking about this press myself, and swaging bullets.
I have not jumped yet, but I'm getting close.

bangerjim
04-17-2015, 10:56 AM
I have 4 different sizes of arbor presses (not HF). They are used exclusively for what they are designed for and named for......pressing arbors on and off wheels and gears. I see not use in the loading arena. If you are thinking bout those little presses the uber-accurate guys use on the range...that is a different story. If you have a lathe and a mill, you might be able to cobble up some dies for an arbor press to swage with, but I would not really trust the accuracy/functionality. Kinda like using a screwdriver for a chisel.

I have seen several HF presses in the scrap heaps where they broke off at the neck/base area. Probably caused by Bubba using a 5 foot cheater bar on the handle! Stay within the ton rating and you will be OK for presssing things on and off.

HF's "hand tools" are pretty good. The presses would fall into that category. Power tools.....that is a Whorse of a Different Color......mostly carpola. Older stuff was built a whole lot better!

Basically......."ya gets what ya pays for".

banger-j

mdi
04-17-2015, 11:36 AM
For reloading, my arbor press has processed a lot of brass with a Lee Loader. But. I also use it for "arbor press stuff"...

rsrocket1
04-17-2015, 12:13 PM
You can also make up a jig so that it presses roll pins in and out of plastic guns (like the M&P) instead of punching them out. The smooth motion is more gentle on the pins than a hammer and punch. I use a Panavise with plastic jaws because a screw has even more mechanical advantage than a gear, but if you are creative, you can imagine where a press has advantages over a hammer.

dragon813gt
04-17-2015, 12:38 PM
I have one that I use for making gas checks. It works well in this application. I live in a high humidity area. The HF presses rust very fast. I store lots of tools in my garage. The HF arbor press always requires the most maintenance when it comes to rust prevention.

kenyerian
04-17-2015, 02:05 PM
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I think I'm going to go ahead and get one for the garage. I don't really need one but I think it will come in handy.

bangerjim
04-17-2015, 02:49 PM
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I think I'm going to go ahead and get one for the garage. I don't really need one but I think it will come in handy.

One can never have too many tools!

banger-j

Larry Gibson
04-17-2015, 03:01 PM
I use an arbor press with Lee loaders (Classic and Target) and when swaging .22LR with the Paco Kelly tool.

Larry Gibson