PDA

View Full Version : .510 swage die

clodhopper
04-17-2015, 01:24 AM
I have been thumbing through reloading manuals to find a sizeing die close enough to make .473 dia rife cases into 50bmg bullets.
350 Remington mag looks like a good candidate. It is .513 one quarter inch from the base, and .496, 1.630 from the base.

The shoulder angle is to steep, but crazy ideas of pulling a abrasive cone up to the shoulder from the top of the die dance in my head.

The base diameter is a little loosey goosey, but I wonder it enough pressure can be applied to bring the web up to .510.

aaronraad
04-18-2015, 01:38 AM
Nice one Clodhopper! I haven't seen the term "loosey goosey" used in the last 20yrs let alone on any shooting forum :)

I assume you looked at swaging down...similar to Richard's table on page 7 - http://rceco.com/img/RSBook7.PDF

Take a look at orbital riveting. I looked orbital riveting after watching a one of those swiss machines performing rotary broaching and rotary thread rolling and figured there must be something I could apply to forming jacket ID's. The timing involved for the rotary broaching/threading at those sorts of rpm is difficult for me to get my head around.:popcorn:

I'm still keen on spin forming or flow forming as an initial or intermediary jacket forming process as an alternative to orbital riveting.

ID/OD roller burnishing might prove to be a suitable precision finishing process for high quality jackets. I particularly like the adjustment in the rollers given you have an opportunity to compensate for wear with tooling, or maybe even material hardness/thickness, something you can't easily do with a fixed punch. A fixed punch is about 98.5% cheaper to replace though. ;)

clodhopper
04-18-2015, 09:43 AM
Aarron,
Thank you, your posts always have links to solid information. Here I was just going to cobble together some half baked bullet, and you point to the way to do it right.
The 350 rem mag part was just the die, I picked up an old but unused set this week for $20.

Now you have me wondering if loosey goosey has the same connotations here in Montana as it does in Queensland. I take it as poor fitting parts, or slop.

aaronraad
04-19-2015, 05:44 AM
Now you have me wondering if loosey goosey has the same connotations here in Montana as it does in Queensland. I take it as poor fitting parts, or slop.

It's almost "footloose and fancy free" :)

We definitely started out as a colony of Britain, but since the 1940's we've been more heavily influenced by American culture.