PDA

View Full Version : New Model Blackhawk

Poygan
03-12-2008, 10:39 AM
I am thinking of buying a new Blackhawk convertible in 45 Colt / 45 ACP. I've all but given up on finding an old model in the same configuration. Anybody have any experience with this model? I rarely buy new guns so I'm not up on the quality, etc on the new ones. Seems to me I've heard the cylinder throats often need to be opened up?

I load and cast for both calibers but would like opinions on a good mold for the 45 Colt. I only have a Lee hollow base 240 grain for the Colt caliber.

Your thoughts please.

Dr. A
03-12-2008, 11:31 AM
I got one right before the change (putting on the lock), and my buddy got the locked one. Both had .450 throats, and were opened up by me. Like many Rugers, they needed a little smoothing out, but honestly, its one of the funnest revolvers I own. I do not like to shoot high pressure with mine, as its a bit light, but the 20,000 CUP loads along with the 45ACP makes for a plinkers delight. I load the ACP with 200gr. H&G SWC with 5.2gr. of Trail Boss. I can shoot it easily all day long and hit very accurate 100 yard targets. Incidentally, I still shoot it occasionally with 30,000 CUP loads. Its just not as fun as my stainless gun with a Bisley grip. With those, the BIsley wins hands down.

I like the RCBS 250, 270SAA as well as the 200gr. hollow pointed Devastator. Makes for a wicked round when loaded up with 7.5gr. of Unique in the 45 ACP. Bullets with shoulders do not load easily in the ACP. Reserve those for the Colt.

45 2.1
03-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Accusport had a run of the Bisley Blackhawk, stainless with the 5-1/2" barrel with the dual cylinders. If you can find it, that is the one to get.

BCB
03-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Poygan,

I searched for some post that I made recently on my Blackhawk in 45LC that I purchased a few months ago. There are some numbers and a couple of pictures, plus some other good posts. I am very glad I purchased my Blackhawk. Good-luck if you purchase one...BCB

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=24629&highlight=BCB

georgeld
03-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Bought my set Jan '07.
so far haven't loaded or shot the acp cyl yet. Intend to soon as I get the proper mold for it.

I was told at the store Ruger didn't offer the combo with 7 1/2-8" barrels I wanted. Only the 4 1/2 and 5 1/2. Since I'd decided to get this set, went ahead and got the 5 1/2". Am not happy with the short barrel soley because I much prefer the long one's. Nothing wrong with it other than my preference.

IF you get one, or anyone else has a set with the long barrels. I'd be interested in an even up swap for this one. Each do our own work etc.

Mine has only fired about 300rns of 250gr SWC cast plain base.

I've been thinking about just buying a long barreled gun and have the acp cyl fit to it and sell this gun outright and eat the loss. But, haven't done anything but bitch about it since.

With extra large hands, I've had a hard time with the knuckle busting trigger guard. Others like Lloyd with med, or smaller hands get along fine. But, I've finally come up with a Super b/h grips and inletted them to fit that has the filler section. That's cured the problem.

Now, what I'd really like to find is someone with a small duplicator to make half a dozen sets for me from this pattern. Would prefer to pay expenses, and share my pattern rather than pay a big price to have them turned. All I want is to have them roughed out. I'll finish them.

I'm happy with the way the gun shoots. Even at 100yds. Just that I'm not happy with the short barrel. Am not sure about the new lock system mentioned. This one don't have anything like that.

Am wanting to get a set of: 38/357/9 before long, has to be with the long barrel.
Maybe something else too. Don't have enough guns, that's for sure.
Thank you,

bisleyfan41
03-13-2008, 03:48 PM
I've all but given up on finding an old model in the same configuration.

Don't give up. I see them semi-regularly on Gunbroker quite a bit.

Tom W.
03-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Lock? What Lock?
I have a convertable that I can't hit squat with,except a max load of green dot and a 255 grain boolit. I mostly just keep it around as a "Play with" plinker. Maybe one day I'll actually try to get it to where I can accurately hit.

DanWalker
03-14-2008, 02:21 AM
Lock? What Lock?
I have a convertable that I can't hit squat with,except a max load of green dot and a 255 grain boolit. I mostly just keep it around as a "Play with" plinker. Maybe one day I'll actually try to get it to where I can accurately hit.

CLASSIC sign of too small chamber throats. Spend 30 bucks and send the cylinder to cylindersmith and get it reamed. My 45LC Blackhawk wouldn't shoot for beans unless full house loads were used. Now it shoots nice tight clusters with loads as hot or mild as I care to go.

Four Fingers of Death
03-14-2008, 08:05 AM
I have a consecutively numbered pair that were made in 2002. they don't seems to put locks on in Australia, jus a cable lock in the box with the gun. MIne were ok, I never got around to casting for them, just used commercial teflon coated cast. Both shot well, but one is consistently more accurate than the other, whatever the load.

Strangely enough, the 45ACP cylinders don't seem to achieve good accuracy until the speed is getting up there, which was disappointing as I though they would be mega economical rigs for cowboy action.

I don't need them anymore as I have a pair of new model vaqueros (consecutively numbered of course) and am thinking of selling the converticles, but am not desperate and am rather fond of them, so maybe I'll hold out for top dollar or keep them.

After owning them, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one again, but I have enjoyed them and they would no doubt benefit from cylinder reaming, etc.

Frank V
03-15-2008, 02:03 AM
Poygan, John Taffin wrote a chapter on fitting bullets to the cylinder in his book shooting Colt Single Actions. He said you often can make a gun that shoots mediocer shoot well if you adjust the bullet size to the chamber mouths. A .452 or .454 bullet can easily be sized to .451 if need be & the change might just make the gun a tack driver. Mr Taffin states the critical dimention is chamber mouth diameter not bore diameter. There is a lot of really good information in that book that can be applied to any sixgun, not just Colts. Hope this helps. Frank

dukers65
03-15-2008, 08:04 AM
buds gunshop advertised a 7 1/2" barrel convertible. not sure still available. if not possibly
replace barrel with a 7 1/2". dan