PDA

View Full Version : Need Lyman Spar-T Engineer

lightload
04-16-2015, 06:40 PM
I like these old presses even though they--like me--are obsolete. I picked up another one and discovered a problem upon disassembly. The indexing ring no longer has its factory fixed location on the stud and thus turns with the turret. I can't determine if a set screw tightened against a pin fixes the ring or if the ring is fixed by staking. Looking at a properly operating one doesn't help. A factory parts list shows the ring but no set screw. My wish is to avoid a non standard approach like "rigging".

When I got the press, the nut was screwed down tight preventing turret movement--reason for not detecting problem at first. Otherwise, the old press is in mint condition.

oger
04-16-2015, 07:54 PM
If I remember correctly the set screw fixes the ring but aligning the ring correctly can be a real pain. I have a couple laying around that I can take a look at if you want.

lightload
04-16-2015, 08:37 PM
I would appreciate it if you would check. Also, if possible would you insert a hex tool to see if it will "grab" the set screw. Try as I might, I've been unable to do so. Thank you.

oger
04-17-2015, 09:39 AM
I'll take a look today. Like you I got one that someone had tried to fix and ended up with a mess.

oger
04-17-2015, 11:12 AM
Take the turret off and you can get to the two set screws that hold the alignment plate on. You may not be able to use a hex key if Bubba has been in there, but take a 3/32 allen socket of some flavor and gently tap it into the set screws, hopefully you can get them loose. Make sure the two washers on top of the turret are in the correct position one has a tit that aligns with a relief in the jam nut so that the top washer doesn't move with turret when you move it. Alignment is strictly a matter of playing with it until you get it right. I actually liked the presses until old age made the need of something with a handle to move the turret. Good luck!

lightload
04-17-2015, 02:23 PM
Thank you, sir. Let me tinker a bit, and I'll report progress.

lightload
04-17-2015, 04:18 PM
I'm still working.

oger
04-17-2015, 04:23 PM
Trust me you can get real angry at the design of the press.

lightload
04-17-2015, 07:39 PM
Success! Thanks, oger, it worked like you said. I'm up and running.

oger
04-17-2015, 08:35 PM
Great, have fun.