PDA

View Full Version : Lee collet die resizing.

brimic
10-02-2005, 11:04 PM
I resized some 6.5x55 brass with a lee Collet die. This is the first time I used it and found that the inside diameter of the necks was coming out to around .2625", Is this going to give me enough neck tension for an accurate load? I measure the mandrel and its .262" in diameter. I'm used to seeing .30 calibers sized to around .304" using FL resizing, this is why I'm concerned.

fourarmed
10-03-2005, 11:18 AM
I would think that would be plenty tight for cast bullets sized .264 or larger. My experience with the collet die is limited to 7mm BR with jacketed, and I did think mine was a tad loose for that purpose.

Ed Barrett
10-04-2005, 03:48 PM
I have a Lee collet neck sizer for .223 rem. It gives improved accuracy over neck sizing or FL resizing. I only use with J bullits in a single shot pistol and a single shot rifle.
Hiw did you measure the inside of your case neck? Lee gives instructions for taking about a Thou. off the diameter of the mandrel, did you try that?

fourarmed
10-07-2005, 12:23 PM
I got mine out last night and used it to size some of my wife's XP-100 brass. I could seat jacketed bullets by hand without much effort. I think that's a little loose, though it may be OK for match ammo that is single-loaded. I don't think I will try to reduce the rod size, as 7BR is my next candidate for cast boolits now that the .41 revolver and .270 max Merrill seem to be behaving.

BlueMoon
10-07-2005, 07:06 PM
My uses of the Lee neck collet die has shown that you need to use a single stage press and spin the case about 1/3 and size three times to get the smallest dia without taking the rod out and sanding it down some. You can't get a full neck resize with just one press.

Bill

fourarmed
10-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Bill, that's good information. I ran them only once. I have to say, though, that it didn't seem to hurt the accuracy any. My wife shot IHMSA half-scale for the first time yesterday. She cleaned the chickens and pigs, and missed only one turkey. She didn't have a scope setting for the rams, so she missed a few of them in the first bank. Finished with a 34. I will try 3-timing them, as it still beats having to lube and remove the lube.

versifier
10-20-2005, 12:13 AM
Can you move it if you push/pull the seated bullet with your fingers? If you can, then you have a problem. If you can't, you're probably fine, but you can double check for peace of mind by first carefully measuring OAL of your finished rounds, loading your rifle's magazine fully, and only firing one or two shots. Carefully unload the remaining rounds and measure the OAL again. If there is no change, you're good to go. If there is a change, then maybe you need to consider something like a Lee factory crimp die, which also uses a collet. I use full length sizing only for new brass and/or used brass that has been fired in a different rifle, (some die sets came in green boxes, some orange, some red - I'm an equal opportunity kind of guy) and I rely exclusively on Lee Collet Dies for my .308 and .22-250, both for target and hunting, for my bolt rifles. I don't know about semiautos, pumps, or levers, but the same logic should apply, assuming no size related feeding problems. There is more than enough neck tension in the .308 with my cast bullets, and both are OK with jacketed ones, no crimping has ever been necessary. Accuracy without the collet sizers was good, with them it's phenominal.

brimic
11-05-2005, 11:59 PM
Back again.

When I neck size, I've been running the cases into the press twice- I size once, rotate about 180 degress and run the case up into the die again.

I'm not able to move or twist the bullet in the case after its seated.

Some of my fears were put to rest the other day when I tried these neck sized cases to work up a condom load for my M41b. I had groups ranging from a little under 1/2" to 1.5" in 8 different loads I tried. The rifle has a very long throat, so I'm guessing that runout and neck tension were pretty good.

I think I might step up and try some Lapua brass for this rifle to see if the necks come out a little more consistant though.

Four Fingers of Death
11-06-2005, 08:24 AM
Back again.

When I neck size, I've been running the cases into the press twice- I size once, rotate about 180 degress and run the case up into the die again.

I'm not able to move or twist the bullet in the case after its seated.

Some of my fears were put to rest the other day when I tried these neck sized cases to work up a condom load for my M41b. I had groups ranging from a little under 1/2" to 1.5" in 8 different loads I tried. The rifle has a very long throat, so I'm guessing that runout and neck tension were pretty good.

I think I might step up and try some Lapua brass for this rifle to see if the necks come out a little more consistant though.

I also saw that the Cast Boolit Assoc site recommended this as well.

If you want to experiment with the sizes, buy a spare, file the end a touch so it will hold dot of paint and play with that one. It will only cost a couple of bucks and will keep you off the streets for a night or so, cheap entertainment.