PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Lube Depth Adj?

hawkeye1
03-12-2008, 10:15 AM
I have a RCBS Lube a matic, and just started setting up. Problem is with 200 grain 45 cal SWC the bullet is going into the sizing die too deeply. I have the stem adjusted all the way up but the bullet still goes in too deep. The lube is being delivered in the grooves fine but also above the top driving band. Is there a way i can adjust this so the bullet won't go so far down?

utk
03-12-2008, 01:22 PM
I had a similar problem with my Lyman #45 sizer and Lee's 105 gr SWC, a very short boolit.
I put a small "object" on the pushout rod which made the plunger sit higher in the sizer die. A small nut or an extra thick washer did the trick for me.

Don't know if the RCBS is similar to Lyman , though...

Bullshop
03-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Something is not quite right there. Sounds like the ejecter pin itself is too short. Even so you can correct it by removing the adjuster from the bottom, inverting it, and reinstalling it on the top of the threaded portion that holds it. Easier to do than to say.
I have to do this at times to do really short boolits like 45gn 22's.
You may be able to get enough extension by just removing the lock ring. I have removed them from my presses so I often forget they are thier on others presses.
Blessings
BIC/BS

Calamity Jake
03-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Bullshop's got the right idea and if you are using Lyman H&I sizers, they have 8 vertical lube holes running down the sides 180° apart, plug the top hole on each side with #4 shot, just drive it in with a hammer and remove the ring of lead shaved off the shot, reinstall sizer die and adjust for proper lubing

hawkeye1
03-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the help. I use some washers on the push rod, and that seemed to do the trick. This is a short 200 grain 45. Now it works great. I really like the RCBS product. It works quick and well. I won't go back to the Lee sizer. The RCBS just works too slick.

good shooting

HeavyMetal
03-18-2008, 11:56 PM
I think you ought to take a look at the sticky the was posted showing a Star in use. Always a good idea to see new things.

zipdog
03-19-2008, 10:51 AM
I had a similar situation, and here is what I did. If you have your manual, the part references are indicated here in parentheses.
As it comes from the factory, the bullet ejector screw is installed from the bottom of the casting. This position limits the upward adjustment of the ejector rod, thus limiting the bullet depth adjustment. Unscrew the bullet ejector screw(25), rod(23), and lock(24) ring from the bottom. Remove the die locking cap(22) and die. Then drop the bullet ejector screw through the die cavity , screw on the lock ring, and screw the ejector screw in from the top. Drop in the ejector rod and you are ready to go. This will give you more adjustment in the upward direction. I can post a picture if this isn't clear.

zipdog
03-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Duh.....if I had read far enough I would have seen that Bullshop already said this.