PDA

View Full Version : Win 92 Lyman peep sight (screws)

dikman
04-16-2015, 08:25 AM
I have an early Lyman peep sight - Model 2A, I believe - that I want to fit to my Winnie. It has a short base so I will have to drill and tap a hole in the tang. My problem is where do I find the screws for the tang??? (I need two short ones, not the long rear one). I also believe that the early Lyman sights have a different screw head to the later ones.

I've spent what seems like hours searching ebay and using google to try and find these screws. Anybody know who sells them?

pietro
04-16-2015, 09:32 AM

I would suggest simply using whatever two screws, that you can find, that have heads that will fit into the sight base hole's top recess, then D/T the tang for whatever thread the two screws have.

If your scrounge box fails to supply the screws, maybe a nearby (?) gunsmith's scrounge box will.

northmn
04-16-2015, 10:45 AM

I would suggest simply using whatever two screws, that you can find, that have heads that will fit into the sight base hole's top recess, then D/T the tang for whatever thread the two screws have.
If your scrounge box fails to supply the screws, maybe a nearby (?) gunsmith's scrounge box will.

Says about all I could say.

DP

Speedo66
04-16-2015, 12:30 PM
Would screws from a Marble's sight fit it? Brownell's sells those.

dikman
04-16-2015, 06:23 PM
Guys, down here there's no such thing as "local" gunsmiths, in fact gunsmiths are fairly rare, due to the strict legislation regarding who can legally work on guns!!

Speedo, I had already been thinking that. I would have to drill out the holes on the sight base, I think, as the screw heads are larger than the Lyman holes, but it looks like it may be the better option. The screws for the sight have a small head size relative to the thread part and none of my supply of machine screws are like that.

45-70marlin
04-16-2015, 07:00 PM
Try calling Lyman? They may be able to help.

pietro
04-16-2015, 09:58 PM
Guys, down here there's no such thing as "local" gunsmiths, in fact gunsmiths are fairly rare, due to the strict legislation regarding who can legally work on guns!!

Speedo, I had already been thinking that. I would have to drill out the holes on the sight base, I think, as the screw heads are larger than the Lyman holes, but it looks like it may be the better option. The screws for the sight have a small head size relative to the thread part and none of my supply of machine screws are like that.

Find & use screws with the correct thread, but with the head turned down - I would chuck the screw(s) in a hand-held electric drill, holding a file against the spinning screwhead (like a lathe) to reduce it to the size/shape required.

dikman
04-17-2015, 06:33 AM
Find & use screws with the correct thread.

Ah, but there's the rub. The thread types that you Yanks use in these guns are not used down here. We are now Metricated, with good old Whitworth still being very common too. I've got more chance of winning the lottery (pretty well nil with my luck!) than finding 10-32/10-36 screws here. Which is why I've been madly googling/ebaying to try and find them (I'd like to keep the original thread size if possible).

I might try Lyman, I suppose, although I'm not optimistic about it being any good use.

T45LC
04-17-2015, 09:49 PM
Try Numrich Gun Parts ( located in West Hurley N.Y ) www.gunparts.com (http://www.gunparts.com). They carry various gun parts/screws etc., from relics to modern. They may even have a complete sight for you.

dikman
04-18-2015, 06:35 AM
I emailed Lyman, they replied asking what the thread/pitch size of the screw is for the '92 :confused:. I thought they would have that info in their parts listings - doesn't give me much confidence. T45LC, that link takes me to Brownells (?), they do have a set although I think it's for the later Lyman sights. I may have to get it and modify either the sight or the screws (depending which is easier). I also tried McMaster-Carr, but they don't list that particular thread size!

Brownell's are looking like the best bet at the moment.

Speedo66
04-18-2015, 05:02 PM
These are the sizes Marbles lists for their tang sight screw set (995003) for an original Winchester '92.

#10-32 x .342

#12-28 x 1.9
#10-36 x .355

Edward
04-18-2015, 05:58 PM
I know Midway has an extensive list on screw sets sights for your sight