PDA

View Full Version : T/C Hawken 50 cal kit still in box

Kevinakaq
04-15-2015, 08:32 PM
Just sharing a bit as I arranged tonight to pick up a T/C Hawken kit in 50 cal which is still in the original box, unmolested! It is an older kit as the barrel is in the white but i still think I got a good deal as I expect I might never see such an item again in my lifetime. Now what to do with it as I own three 50 caliber T/C Hawkens already (and as fate would have it not a single 45 or 54)...one a kit I put together some 25 years ago as a teenager, one a recent purchase in good shape, and a Cougar that was never fired. Debating on whether to make a project of it with my niece or just keep it as the rarity it is....thoughts?

oldracer
04-15-2015, 08:52 PM
I would say build it to be exactly like the originals were back when they were made in the 1800s. One of the 1st 100 or so kits they made was what got me started with muzzle loaders and I am glad I put it together. On mine the wood has a huge amount of figure, way more than they do now and I used an oil finish, browned the barrel and all hardware, etc. The only issue was the trigger which was very rough and I spent some $$$$ to have a local master gunsmith show me how to stone and heat treat one.

It is like a guitar that is never played or a car that is never driven........

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-15-2015, 10:46 PM
I vote project with your niece.
Those are the type of memories worth more than any gun or kit, no matter how rare.

Gtek
04-15-2015, 11:45 PM
T/C Hawken Kit in box= several hundred bucks. T/C Hawken Used= several hundred bucks. T/C Hawken build with niece= PRICELESS! If she is the least bit interested, full speed ahead. What would you have wanted your uncle to do? Worst case you have one more, Frankenstien a cherry and purge the pooch.

smoked turkey
04-16-2015, 01:08 AM
I agree that you should do a build with your niece. In fact I did just that with a similar kit a few years ago with my grandson. I wouldn't trade that experience and neither would he. At the completion I gave him the rifle. I did take mine to a local smith and had him do a super blue on the barrel. I think if I were to do it again I would consider doing something different. But it did turn out nice.

OverMax
04-16-2015, 08:04 AM
Nope I feel the opposite. Keep intact as a kit. 10 years from now. At the very least it will worth what you paid for it. Besides you already have one T/C to many I tink. (:

Kevinakaq
04-16-2015, 10:02 AM
I am paying 250 for this kit which is on the low side of fair I do believe. I think I paid about that for my kit some 25 years ago if I remember correctly. All good suggestions which are knocking around in my noggin'.

Kevin

bouncer50
04-16-2015, 07:37 PM
Does your have the letter K in the serial number That how i spot kit guns for sale.

dondiego
04-17-2015, 09:04 AM
Does your have the letter K in the serial number That how i spot kit guns for sale.

It is still in unfinished kit form. He spotted it right off.

bob208
04-17-2015, 09:43 AM
I was at dun auction a few weeks ago they had 3 tc kits in the box un molested. the 2 percussion went for 150 the flint went for 180.

Kevinakaq
04-17-2015, 10:43 AM
I was at dun auction a few weeks ago they had 3 tc kits in the box un molested. the 2 percussion went for 150 the flint went for 180.

i would have bought them all at that price and figured out what to do with them later!

Kevinakaq
04-17-2015, 10:44 AM
It is still in unfinished kit form. He spotted it right off.

I did indeed...