PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about LBT bullet molds

S.B.
03-11-2008, 11:38 PM
Which would be the most accurate in .41 and .44 bullets, the LFN or WFN and would gas check bullets be even more accurate? If you were going to order a mold which nose would you order? Tell me what your experience has taught you. I'm thinking I would like a 260 gr. in .41 and 300 or over in .44.

Lloyd Smale
03-12-2008, 05:28 AM
I wont go into which is more accurate because thats a post in itself but the 41 lbt 250 lfngc and the .44 lbt 300 lfngc have been a couple of the best bullets ive loaded.

Bass Ackward
03-12-2008, 06:36 AM
Go to LBT's site and read the section, Selecting a Bullet.

Bret4207
03-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Read Verals ideas. He also posts on another site, Greybeards or 24 Hour Campfire. His stuff is good, not magic, but good. There is an element of salesmanship involved too. Ain't no magic design anywhere!

curator
03-13-2008, 10:04 AM
SB,

I have several .44 & .45 moulds made by LBT. I particularly like the LFN design for long range accuracy with my handguns. Veral cut three of my moulds with both plain base and gas check cavities. Heavy-for-the-caliber boolits usually need to be driven fairly fast to get them to stabilize. Revolvers often have minor chamber/bore alignment variations. Both of these "problems" are usually mitigated by the use of a gas check.

My experience has not shown much difference with my revolvers using LBT boolits. If anything, the plain based boolits seem a bit more accurate despite being driven to magnum velocities and pressures. A minor exception is the .454-320 WFN that shows a very slight edge favoring the gas checked boolit when driven past 1200 fps.

Now, I am casting from wheel weight alloy with an additional 1% tin added, and water drop quenching my slugs. I am also sizing them to chamber throat diameter, and seating them out to almost flush with the cylinder face. (Veral cut the crimp groove to my revolver's measurements). All of my heavy revolvers have chamber throats uniformed to .005 over barrel groove diameter, 11 degree forcing cones, and no thread choke where the barrel screws into the frame. All of these "modifications" make it easier for plain base boolits to be as accurate as their gas-checked brethren.

I have also found that LBT moulds cast the the most consistant in weight, roundness, measurement, and sharp fill out of any bullet moulds I have (I have two or more from every manufacturer) That too helps in the accuracy department.

ra_balke
03-26-2008, 01:07 AM
If you are driving your bullets over 1000 fps, or if you are using a hot powder, go w/ a gas check.
Truth is, you can always use your gas check bullets with out a gas check if you want.

I have fired a hell of a lot of cast bullets, and the best results I have ever had were with gas checked bullets, and I swear by them.

charger 1
03-26-2008, 06:22 AM
You want peak range or peak accuracy? The WFN will give you more drive area hence accuracy. The LFN bit better BC. For the velocities your talking and handgun accuracy I doubt you'll note any accuracy diff.. The LFN having smaller frontal might be desireable for handgun hunting, allow you to pick up a little penetration

S.B.
03-26-2008, 08:37 AM
Actually, the WFN has a broader nose area, making it harder to buck wind, ie lower balistic coeficiency but, higher TKO value, wouldn't it? I've just about given up on the LBT because of their cost and am now thinking a Lee C430-310-RF 6 cavity but don't know where to get a top punch for this bullet that would work in my Lyman sizer, never seen them advertised.

IcerUSA
03-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Only need a flat top punch with that Lee C430-310-RF as that nose is big , I just made one up from a small peice of brass I had laying around and it works fine. I had gottien the 2 cavity to try out for the 444 and liked it enough I went and got the 6 banger , WOW , big pile of boolits in no time , just wish I had something bigger than the Lee 4-20 when casting that one as the pot just goes empty way too fast . :)

Keith

P. S. Shoots good in my SBH Hunter also .

S.B.
03-26-2008, 12:12 PM
IcerUSA, I don't own a lathe to turn the shank for a Lyman sizer?

Boomer Mikey
03-26-2008, 12:21 PM
S.B.

PM me your address and the size you're going to size your bullets to IE. 0.430"- 0.432".

I'll make you one gratis,

Boomer :Fire:

GLynn41
03-28-2008, 07:09 PM
might look at Mountain Molds or NEI I have one MM and one LBT both are very good -- I had just as soon have one as the other and the MM is cheaper--do not get me wrong LBT molds are very well made as to the price -- to a degree you get what you pay for-- personally I have had a number of Lee molds and now I have none and do not plan on getting any more-

charger 1
03-28-2008, 08:11 PM
do not get me wrong LBT molds are very well made as to the price -- to a degree you get what you pay for-- personally I have had a number of Lee molds and now I have none and do not plan on getting any more-

IMHO Lee is a "get you by mold" LBT is very good, but from a tool work point of view MM's are superior in many ways

Never thought I'd say anything was superior to Verals stuff but what is is what is

GLynn41
03-28-2008, 09:05 PM
I forgot I have an NEI mold of a 285 gr pb tc .41 cal--it too is very good and they are about the price of the MM

S.B.
03-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Boomer Mikey, thanks, I sure will get my address to you ASAP.
Thanks, Steve

axman
03-28-2008, 10:08 PM
I would like to add to this in saying that they are very good moulds and are pretty accurate in most guns I have tried them in,sub 1inch at 100yds with rifle and under 2'' at 50 with handguns.

Bret4207
03-29-2008, 07:31 AM
I don't know about the new NEI moulds, but the older ones Walt cut were fantastic. I still want a few MM, I wish Dan was still posting here. I like Verals moulds, I like his hold down, (stolen from Cramer BTW), I like the interior finish. But, they aren't magic despite Ross Seyfried early claims, and his attitude can be a bit standoffish (at best) at times. But Veral, with Ross's salesmanship, put a lot of guys into casting mode when no one else cared. Good on you Veral!

GLynn41
03-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Dan is now a Mountain Man as well as Mountain Mold maker--truly off by himself --like his molds though--not only the work but how you can be involved in your own mold--my NEI is a Walt Melander mold so I assume the newer ones are good still

218bee
03-29-2008, 04:21 PM
ICER, sounds like you found a good mould for your 444. Marlin I assume? Whats your barrel slug out at? Just curious as I want to get a mould for mine and the LBT may be the ticket