PDA

View Full Version : Adding magnum shot to increase antimony in 1-25/coww alloy recipe

bassin57
04-15-2015, 08:46 AM
Hi,
My free source of lead is coww and I have 1-25 alloy . I am looking for an alloy mix using that I can shoot my 45acp and 38spl air cooled but yet water squelched for 9mm velocities. A member of this form suggested the need for more antimony. I would like to try 50/50 5lb of 1-25 alloy/ 5 lb coww with 3.2 oz of magnum shot to increase the total antimony content. Does my amount of shot for this alloy recipe OK for my planned use?I used my lyman cast book as a reference which has COWW having an antimony content of 4%. I have a small dedicated electric toaster oven that I have used to harden alloy and powder coat for my carbine. The boolits almost sizzle when dropped in the water a tray at a time. Oh yes, one of my 9mm's is a carbine I am hoping for a harder bullet so I can raise the velocity a little more. At 50 yards I can get all the bullets around the target center with a commercial 125 grn bullet. I would like to do the same with my own CB.
Thanks again,
Bassin57

62chevy
04-15-2015, 04:54 PM
Straight COWW should be hard enough for what you want. Keep in mind fit is more important than hardness but hardness does matter when you want to push a bullet say over 2200 FPS. If powder coating then hardness matters even less. Just keep your boolit .001 to .002 over grove and you should be fine.