PDA

View Full Version : Ruger GP 100 547 yards

apen
04-14-2015, 10:18 PM
Gong measures 18" x 24". Shot with a 1" 4 moa ultradot.
I set the camera up about 80 yards in front of the gong. I shot off a caldwell rifle rest.
I tried it with sierra 158 sportsmasters, and they didn't do as well.
I had time to look into the spotting scope after each shot to see where they hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDFmmC9dlk0

hendere
04-14-2015, 10:32 PM
Nice!

Frank46
04-14-2015, 10:58 PM
If someone had said that they shot at a gong target (instant feedback) i'd say it was very possible as you have done. Impressive to say the least. Did try some 45acp out to 100yds and you could actually watch the bullet rise up and hit the target. Most fun you could have with your clothes on and sometimes very funny. Frank

Teddy (punchie)
04-15-2015, 12:21 AM
well now !! Thanks for sharing !!

osteodoc08
04-15-2015, 12:30 AM
Gotta love reactive targets

MtGun44
04-15-2015, 01:12 AM
As I usually say in these cases, "You wouldn't want to stand out there!"

Neat.

Hannibal
04-15-2015, 04:03 AM
Curiosity question : were you shooting from a rest, off a bench, or creedmore position perhaps? Not that it really matters, just wondered. Nice job!

kristopher.wheeler
04-15-2015, 05:23 AM
Curiosity question : were you shooting from a rest, off a bench, or creedmore position perhaps? Not that it really matters, just wondered. Nice job!
OP said he was shooting off a Caldwell rifle rest, I think?

Very impressive shooting!

Mk42gunner
04-15-2015, 05:59 AM
So did you adjust the dot to the point of impact, or did you hold over? If so how much?

I never had dots or scopes on handguns when I had the chance to do long distance shooting, so I got real familiar with how much front sight to hold up. Of course back then I could the imperfections on the front sights, now I am lucky to see a front sight shaped blur.

Actual long range plinking in the desert is one of the things I miss most about living in Nevada.

Robert

03fatboy
04-15-2015, 06:41 AM
Nice shooting and nice range set up.

CastingFool
04-15-2015, 07:10 AM
looks like a good place to do some berm mining.

bouncer50
04-15-2015, 08:14 AM
If someone had said that they shot at a gong target (instant feedback) i'd say it was very possible as you have done. Impressive to say the least. Did try some 45acp out to 100yds and you could actually watch the bullet rise up and hit the target. Most fun you could have with your clothes on and sometimes very funny. Frank I did the same thing with my 45 acp at a 100 yards you can fire the gun and almost put it down on the table before the bullet hits the target. Not really a 100 yard gun target gun.

44man
04-15-2015, 09:40 AM
Naw, can't hit that far! A red dot is only good for 25 yards!
Great video and I hope detractors finally see truth. I found you need something to aim at and with mine it was a tree branch or the top of a berm. Can't adjust the red dot enough so you hold high and if nothing is in the background it will be hard.
Can't shoot an ACP at 100 either! :kidding:

Silver Jack Hammer
04-15-2015, 10:12 AM
Your hitting a smaller target than I am with my .45-70 with a 30" bbl. at that range.

44man
04-15-2015, 11:04 AM
Your hitting a smaller target than I am with my .45-70 with a 30" bbl. at that range.
OH yes, my 45-70 revolver will make my 45-70 rifle look sick. I once put 5 shots in 2-1/2" at 500 yards with the revolver but cant hit rams at 500 meters with the rifle. I hit the 500 meter ram 20 times straight with the revolver. It is real crazy how accurate a revolver is.
Just reading about the Franken Ruger when out of box guns will do it. I am going to piss off someone big time. No amount of money spent will improve a thing. If you want custom, go to Jack Huntington or Linebaugh. Both leave cylinder play and use good barrels. No gun has ever out shot a BFR. Sorry, I don't need a forearm on it. Barrel vibration on short barrels is just not there. You can't find a node. Short single shots will out shoot rifles all day.

apen
04-15-2015, 11:24 AM
Naw, can't hit that far! A red dot is only good for 25 yards!
Great video and I hope detractors finally see truth. I found you need something to aim at and with mine it was a tree branch or the top of a berm.

I favored high and right trying to see the same amount of white. I really like those little sights. They are inexpensive, weigh next to nothing, and they are reliable. The only thing is that when it's really bright out, you have to turn the dot up which makes it appear larger, but the polarizer helps.

Hannibal
04-15-2015, 11:40 AM
OP said he was shooting off a Caldwell rifle rest, I think?

Very impressive shooting!

Thanks. Sound wasn't working and i missed that.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-15-2015, 12:00 PM
I tried the 40S&W at 100 yards a few weeks ago completely factory 4 1/2 inch barrel original 3 dot sights my cast loads , took me a few to hit but I did hit the 10 inch plate , had it been a bit bigger I would have hit it several more times , as It seemed I was all around it with the misses

it's definitely a You wouldn't want to stand out there thing

gray wolf
04-15-2015, 12:09 PM
Nice shooting

huntersdog
04-15-2015, 01:23 PM
OH yes, my 45-70 revolver will make my 45-70 rifle look sick. I once put 5 shots in 2-1/2" at 500 yards with the revolver but cant hit rams at 500 meters with the rifle. I hit the 500 meter ram 20 times straight with the revolver. It is real crazy how accurate a revolver is.
Just reading about the Franken Ruger when out of box guns will do it. I am going to piss off someone big time. No amount of money spent will improve a thing. If you want custom, go to Jack Huntington or Linebaugh. Both leave cylinder play and use good barrels. No gun has ever out shot a BFR. Sorry, I don't need a forearm on it. Barrel vibration on short barrels is just not there. You can't find a node. Short single shots will out shoot rifles all day.That is very impressive shooting, I couldn't shoot that with a regular rifle.

huntersdog
04-15-2015, 01:25 PM
I seen a video, the other day where a guy shot a Pronghorn at 155 yard or so will iron sights.

44man
04-17-2015, 09:34 AM
I have shot many, many custom revolvers, some good of course but it is hard to beat a lot of out of box revolvers. Worst problem seems to be just the triggers.
I have shot $2500 guns that sucked and a Ruger would shoot circles around them.
Sure, you can get a poor gun once in a while but the factories do so much better today.
Another thing that can make a gun poor is the twist rate. Too slow and you will not reach velocity for stability.
My 45-70 BFR has a 1 in 14" rate and will shoot so many different boolits it is crazy. My Browning BPCR is 1 in 18" and many for hunting are 1 in 20".
BFR's have faster twists with hand lapped Badger barrels and perfect cylinder throats with cylinder alignment. No revolver has ever given me such accuracy and I own 3 but friends have many switching from the $2500 stuff.
Scott bought a SBH hunter a few years ago and just sighting with my loads he shot one 1/2" group after another at 50 yards. All I did was the trigger and put the red dot on, (Ultra Dot) He shot all his deer in the neck.