PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the backorders??

encoreman
03-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Okay what do ya'll think the deal is with Midway and other's having lots of items on backorder. Is this like the primer rush when Slick Willy got elected or what? Just when I finally decided to start casting, well the truth is I ain't gonna pay the high cost to buy bullets. Any comments. Thanks Mac

richbug
03-12-2008, 07:34 AM
Its all your fault(and folks just like you)... you procrastinated for years, both on casting and reloading, then you make it hard for the rest of us to get stuff. Luckily most of us are hoarders by nature and have more stuff than we could use in 2 lifetimes.

Midway has been running a pretty lean ship for several years trying to be more profitable. Computerized ordering and JIT shipping works once you get enough data collected for most stores. But IMHO, the reloading business may be too volatile for it to work well.

THAT IS MY LEAD, GET AWAY FROM IT!!!!

Now that I have that out, Welcome to the addiction.

Calamity Jake
03-12-2008, 08:12 AM
I gues you know richbug is :kidding:

VTDW
03-12-2008, 08:28 AM
Richbug you old hoarder you.:mrgreen: Please send me some Federal 210M primers. Shipping Address will follow.[smilie=1:

This primer shortage is the dangdust thing I have seen.

Dave

NVcurmudgeon
03-12-2008, 08:44 AM
Midway may be only the first to stumble upon the "lean ship, JIT" method of doing business. I can remember looking at my tire racks and thinking, "What madness possessed me to buy that set of H14 cheapie radials? They'll never sell!" Inventory can be a two-edged sword. I noticed that Graf's discontinued 16 gauge #1 buckshot shotshells immediately upon my ordering the last 25. At age 71, I can view the prospect of no more buckshot with complacency. God forbid that I should have to ever have to use "12 balls the size of peas," but they are nice to have. I'll bet Graf's stayed drunk for a week when they sold me those shells.

My method of coping with the "lean ship, JIT" merchants is to phone Graf's with a list of gotta have items plus nice to have items. The list always exceeds available funds. I start ordering with the gottas and augment the list with nice tos until my money runs out. Actually, Graf's seldom is out of stock on anything I want. Hint: never order on line; that is an invitation to back orders and double freight charges with SOME vendors.

MT Gianni
03-12-2008, 08:56 AM
The former incarnation of my employers were taxed at a rate the if an item was in inventory for 4 six month periods it had been taxed equal to its value. Consider that some specialty fitting needed to shut off the gas in a broken line emergency were in the $10K range it is a major concern. Gianni

dmftoy1
03-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Don't know . . . .I think something's changed . .either they're getting ALOT of business or carrying almost nothing. I put an email reminder on their website for the Privi 8mm Mauser ammo and got the email yesterday about 2pm that it was "in stock". At 3:00pm when I went to order it was already 'backordered'.

9.3X62AL
03-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Hard to say that any one factor is making things scarce--I think a combination of things are at work making things harder to get. Ammo prices are driving more people to reloading, and bullet prices are driving more people to boolit casting. I think the uptick in reloading activity is a part of the primer "shortage", and a larger part is panic/rush/paranoia over prices and availability. Most reloaders seem to be hoarding primers these days, so we feed the frenzy ourselves. Ammo orders by the using services doesn't help things, either. The "shortage mentality" birthed by USA oil companies in 1973 is enabling a LOT of suppliers to cut a fat hog, for sure. Yeah, metals prices have jumped--but that is likely oil company copy-catting as well.

The whole premise for me getting into casting in 1981 was to take control of my bullet inventory. Price wasn't the paramount reason, but availability sure was.

Bullshop
03-12-2008, 01:50 PM
I think being an election year and looking at the posibilaties gun people are hoarding.
BIC/BS

fishhawk
03-12-2008, 02:46 PM
i prefer to say "resupplying my stock" insted of "hoarding"

Springfield
03-12-2008, 03:05 PM
I prefer "stocking up for my retirement and so my kids can shoot cheaper". I just bought 15,000 shotgun wads. Were a good deal and happened to be the same ones I have been using for the last 2 years anyway. At 3 boxes a month, (about 2 cowboy shoots) I now have 16 years worth of BP wads.

onceabull
03-12-2008, 05:26 PM
NvC: Come to pass you use yours down to re-supply time,let me know,--from past experience, given those are "Yard invasion"medicine(HiBase 4's do well indoors),I'm estimating I've got 3 1/2 lifetimes supply for the two of us,on hand now.:twisted: Onceabull

Dale53
03-12-2008, 06:33 PM
People are looking at the sudden escalation of ammo prices and jumping into reloading (after being on the fence for years). The same mentality is fueling the casting process. Lee has been behind for a long time (just look at how long we have waited on GB orders) and I suspect that the other suppliers are also. There is definitely a snow ball effect (shortages drive prices up and fuel desires).

We will just have to ride it out. I see a BIG jump in inflation since our government is doing absolutely nothing about the fuel cost crisis (and it IS a crisis). We MUST drill for oil and we MUST open some more refineries. the nut case tree huggers have stopped this activity long enough, and then some...

Rant over,
Dale53

felix
03-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Nobody is going to build a new refinery for petro. Like you say, the tree huggers have driven the drive to "green" straight on throughout the world. If there is going to be a new gasoline refinery, anywhere, it will be fully tax supported. You can bet your BOTTOM dollar on that. ... felix

JIMinPHX
03-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Many years ago, changes in the tax codes in this country made it unpalatable to carry inventory or have money in the bank at the end of the year. That little move by congress was done to stimulate the economy by “encouraging” businesses to run leaner. Basically this means that unless you want to fork over extra money to Uncle Sam, you need to nearly bankrupt your company once a year. The resulting mass changes in business practice had the effect of removing the cushion that was previously built into most business structures that allowed them to bend & flex with the times. That was one of the first big moves in the financial shell game that has brought us to where we are today.

Scrounger
03-12-2008, 09:03 PM
I can't question the 'what' but I have a different opinion on the 'why'. It was greedy state and local governments that instituted the inventory tax to get money from the businessman, knowing full well he would pass on the cost to the consumer. Not carrying inventory is another way around it. It also greatly reduces the risk of a loss to the business.