PDA

View Full Version : How's this 300 upper?

SeabeeMan
04-14-2015, 06:48 PM
I have some credit from these guys and saw this upper on sale today. I have a fully built lower just begging for a 300 upper, but was curious if there's something else to look for in an upper for that caliber. It comes with an m16 BCG and I prefer the railed forearm with a smooth area to grip.

http://www.shop.ar15hardware.com/product.sc?productId=479&categoryId=1

OLd_Sarg
04-15-2015, 12:07 PM
this looks nice with a good price and I like the hand guard a lot, I don't know anything about this brand good or bad.

but I have heard great things about Hardened Arms uppers and they have a sale on also;
they may be worth a look see;
I would get one if my FUNds where not used up...... :-)

https://www.hardenedarms.com/ecProduct_281_31

https://www.hardenedarms.com/pageHome

SeabeeMan
04-15-2015, 05:18 PM
I actually have an email code that brings it down to 399 and $100 in credit, so I may pick that bad boy up. I know that a 16" barrel may be unnecessary weight but since it is on an 80% upper, NFA paperwork would kind of defeat that purpose.

RobsTV
04-15-2015, 05:18 PM
Looks to be pretty limited with Carbine length gas. Even with 16" barrel, stick with Pistol length gas for ability to reliably shoot all available 300 blk ammo. And you can do better price with better warranty (lifetime). Check out Radical Firearms uppers, directly from them, or with less options at Primary Arms. Just got a complete AR in 300 blk from them for $580.

SeabeeMan
04-15-2015, 05:58 PM
Thanks RobsTV, the gas length was the kind of input I was looking for.

garym1a2
04-16-2015, 08:31 AM
My 16inch Blackout runs just find with carbine gas system. I have only loaded cast with 155 to 160 gr bullets so far, both around 1750fps.

RobsTV
04-16-2015, 09:27 AM
My 16inch Blackout runs just find with carbine gas system. I have only loaded cast with 155 to 160 gr bullets so far, both around 1750fps.

One of the great advantages of 300blk is the ability to run stuff like 30 round mags of 230gr at 950fps and have it fully cycle and function, even without a suppressor. Pistol length allows that to happen easier without needing to tweak anything. Load and shoot. Although LRHO does not work here with 230gr subs, which to me is no big deal breaker. Still fully cycles the rounds every time. It's great to be shooting 155gr @1900fps, then swap mags to 230gr @ 950fps, and not miss a beat.

SeabeeMan
04-16-2015, 07:19 PM
Despite being experienced with the platform, I'm very new to being allowed to customize them. Would an adjustable gas block on a carbine length achieve the same thing, or is it still not enough gas?

garym1a2
04-16-2015, 08:28 PM
Problem with the pistol gas systems is they are way over gassed for supersonics if you don't have the gas block. My brothers 10.5sbr blows way too much gas back, he even had to use a heavy buffer. When my form for my new build comes back its a 10.5, pistol gas system on cause I also plan a suppersor in a few months.

SeabeeMan
04-16-2015, 08:29 PM
I don't have any intention of shooting subs now, but I'd rather not limit myself.

Jupiter7
04-17-2015, 01:35 AM
I guess everyone forgets the round was designed to run in a standard m4 with only a barrel change. Carbine gas system, buffer, spring, etc...

The problem is is there is no universal spec on the gas port. The pistol length is easier with more powders but it's a trade off.

Moonie
04-17-2015, 08:06 AM
As long as you use a powder in the appropriate burn rate you shouldn't have issues with cycling, either super or sub. We have 2 uppers, both very different but both carbine length gas. I use H110/W296 for supers with 155gr .312 Lee and RL-7 for subs over 200gr. AA1680 works well also but I don't have easy access to Accurate Arms powders.

RobsTV
04-17-2015, 08:09 AM
Also note that because the 300 blk bore diameter is larger, there is much less gas pressure applied using supersonics than what you have with .223/5.56. Moving to pistol length with a 300blk puts the gas pressure back up closer to what it would be with a .223. Pistol length has been proven to be best choice, and most 300 Blk now only offer complete guns with pistol length gas. Quick glance at Midway shows the majority of AR 300 Blk barrels offered are pistol length, and also include new gas block and tube, or require you to add. It is best to get a combo as the port and block will be correctly sized for pistol length gas system (small, not enlarged like many need to do with carbine length gas system). A complete upper should be properly setup already. In the event you feel there is too much pressure, easy enough to change buffer. The pistol vs carbine discussion has been going on since the 300 Blk first appeared. Yet you don't see people flooding the forums with reports that pistol gas system damaged their AR after only 10,000 rounds. It just doesn't happen, or is rare enough that it is a non issue. Google this choice for more opinions, or search the Internet for AR's in 300 Blk worn out because of using pistol length gas system. Using Pistol length here with 16" and while I have some subsonics, 90%+ of what I'll be shooting will be super's.

Being in computer field, I frequently see a similar type of question and answer with laptops. "But I don't need more expensive video card version because I won't game with it". Then 6 months later their latest and greatest superfast Intel quad core with SSD can't even play a simple game and realize they made a mistake. Also because the 6 month old laptop does not support what some might want, resale is lost. However, the original laptop with slightly more expensive video is still bringing in a premium used, since it can do everything asked of it to more people. Get the pistol length even if you don't plan on shooting subs.

SeabeeMan
04-17-2015, 09:48 AM
Being in computer field, I frequently see a similar type of question and answer with laptops. "But I don't need more expensive video card version because I won't game with it". Then 6 months later their latest and greatest superfast Intel quad core with SSD can't even play a simple game and realize they made a mistake. Also because the 6 month old laptop does not support what some might want, resale is lost. However, the original laptop with slightly more expensive video is still bringing in a premium used, since it can do everything asked of it to more people. Get the pistol length even if you don't plan on shooting subs.

Now you're speaking my language!

I appreciate all the feedback. My google skills are pretty strong, but it is easy to miss information when you aren't quite sure what things to be looking for. Combine the plethora of mall ninjas and wannabe special forces who know just enough to make it dangerous for people who listen to them, and it is tough to wade through the bs to find the good info. I'll be holding out for a similar deal but with a pistol length gas system. I'm in no rush but didn't want to let a good deal slip by.

Moonie
04-17-2015, 10:18 AM
I don't buy it, the 300 was designed with carbine length in mind and being able to shoot subs and supers with no modification between them. I know any of the loads I use would be overgassed in a pistol length. The subs might not be much over gassed but the supers would be WAY over gassed, your brass to chase and iron out the dents I guess. This cartridge really isn't new, it is the standardization of a couple of other cartridges that have been circulating around for many years. The .221-30 and the 300 whisper. The pressure curves have been analized for a long time by giants in the fields. You are welcome to use whichever you wish but do your research. I know I did.

If you will shoot mostly (or all) subsonic, get a pistol length, it makes it much easier to choose a powder. If you will shoot mostly supers it has always been recommended to use carbine length.

RobsTV
04-17-2015, 10:18 AM
Please don't take what I wrote as the end.. I write dumbed down versions to get a point across (like pistol length gas system in 300 blk will bring pressure back up near .223, when it will still be much lower). You should still continue to read and search the Internet for the general consensus as to what is best. It will be Pistol Length Gas.

Jupiter7
04-17-2015, 11:04 AM
Please don't take what I wrote as the end.. I write dumbed down versions to get a point across (like pistol length gas system in 300 blk will bring pressure back up near .223, when it will still be much lower). You should still continue to read and search the Internet for the general consensus as to what is best. It will be Pistol Length Gas.

I actually did damage my AR pistol and it only took 8,000 rounds of supers. Lee 312-155 over 16grs of LiL Gun. Burned the gas tube up where it meets gas port and eventually enough gas leakage that it became a single shot. Not sure but it may be because if Lil Gun(known to erode forcing cones and produce excess heat) but it's something to report and keep in mind.

kweidner
04-17-2015, 06:47 PM
Having both and suppressors, I know I personally will only have a pistol length. I do shoot mostly subs but a quick buffer swap should I ever want to chAnge that. I had a heck of a time getting the carbine length running right. The pistol runs anything.........Just my experience.

dragon813gt
04-17-2015, 07:36 PM
I actually did damage my AR pistol and it only took 8,000 rounds of supers. Lee 312-155 over 16grs of LiL Gun. Burned the gas tube up where it meets gas port and eventually enough gas leakage that it became a single shot. Not sure but it may be because if Lil Gun(known to erode forcing cones and produce excess heat) but it's something to report and keep in mind.

I'd bet it was the LilGun. I don't know why people use it w/ all the potential issues.

popper
04-23-2015, 04:45 PM
If you look at their barrels, it would be 1:8 twist. It does have extra large feed ramps. If you want to use cast supers I'd suggest finding a 1:10 carbine. If you want subs, I'd get the SOCOM 458 instead.

xacex
04-26-2015, 12:19 AM
I'd bet it was the LilGun. I don't know why people use it w/ all the potential issues.
Tell me about it. I just loaded some lil gun in a new load using Quickload and was well under what it suggested as ok for the 50 Beo load I was working on and got pressure signs. It is a sketchy powder that is finicky on under, and overloading with little room in between. For the 300 it works OK, but h110/W296 is a much better choice. Same thing for Beowulf. As for the OP's question Alpha shooting spots is GTG as far as uppers and barrels go. I have several Blackouts and prefer the pistol gas system over the carbine. The pistol gas systems are just less finicky. My carbine gassed gun requires a suppressor to function flawlessly with anything but AA1680. My pistol gassed carbine, and pistol will run just about any appropriate powder in sub, or super suppressed or not without problem. I did however put an adjustable gas block on the pistol gasses carbine so I can "tune" down the gas if need be running supers. I can run it wide open, but it seems a little excessive on the function and I imagine wears parts faster if running wide open with supers. It is not a big deal for me to turn it down when using supers at the bench, but out in the field I run it wide open for both subs, and supers so I know no matter what it is going to function for me 100%.

Gunnut 45/454
05-02-2015, 11:29 PM
RobTV
Not everyone wants to pay for a tax stamp, nor run a pistol. My CMMG 16" Carbined gased 300 Blk has run everything from subs to suppers with out one stoppage. Subs run smooth as silk. I run mostly cast Lee 155grs through mine -cheap full velocity plinkers. When I want man stoppers 130 gr Speer HP's are the ticket -work great on four legged varmints too. Hunt with 150 gr Speer HotCor BT's. All without the added expense of tax stamp or limitations of a pistol AR.

RobsTV
05-03-2015, 11:47 AM
RobTV
Not everyone wants to pay for a tax stamp, nor run a pistol. My CMMG 16" Carbined gased 300 Blk has run everything from subs to suppers with out one stoppage. Subs run smooth as silk. I run mostly cast Lee 155grs through mine -cheap full velocity plinkers. When I want man stoppers 130 gr Speer HP's are the ticket -work great on four legged varmints too. Hunt with 150 gr Speer HotCor BT's. All without the added expense of tax stamp or limitations of a pistol AR.

Pistol length gas system has absolutely nothing to do with stamps, NFA, short barrel length requirement or stock used. Things have changed from when first released, and now most full size 16" 300 Blackout AR's sold today come with pistol length gas system.