PDA

View Full Version : How to remove paint without harming the blue?

JonnyReb
04-14-2015, 06:12 PM
I hope this is an appropriate spot for my question.[smilie=6:

Just found a good replacement barrel for a rifle and at a very fair price, but it has factory paint (t\c) over a factory blued finish. Whats a good way to get the paint off without harming the blue? Thanks! J.

dominicfortune00
04-14-2015, 06:16 PM
Brake Fluid?

It works on car paint.

Johnny_V
04-14-2015, 06:22 PM
Lacquer thinner soak.

bangerjim
04-14-2015, 08:18 PM
You will have to test several solvents to see what will remove that specific paint.

Start with methanol/ethanol......then mineral spirit..........then laq thinner..........then acetone........then MEK. Also you can try methylene chloride paint stripper.

that is mildest to strongest.....none of which will take off GOOD bluing. Find out which ones cuts the paint and use that one for the entire barrel.

banger-j

MtGun44
04-14-2015, 08:26 PM
Regular paint stripper should be fine. It is just a gelled VERY hot solvent, so should
do nothing to bluing. That said - test the inside of the grip frame or
something hidden first. I am pretty sure it will be fine, and would use it on one of
my own guns - but after testing in (as they say) "in an inconspicuous location".

22cf45
04-14-2015, 08:31 PM
If it happens to be latex, and I doubt it, alcohol will soften it for easy removal.
Phil

oldred
04-15-2015, 08:59 AM
Just use any Methylene Chloride based paint remover (most paint removers such as Tal-Strip, Aircraft paint remover, all found at WallyWorld), I doubt Lacquer thinner will do much to that type of coating. In any case you are removing a chemical coating and the type of chemicals (solvents) you will need will not attack and oxide surface like gun bluing, to attack gun bluing you would need a corrosive chemical (any salt or acid, even citric acids or vinegar) and any chemical that is likely to attack iron oxides will not affect paint. Basically about anything commonly found to remove either paint or bluing/rust will affect one but not the other so just use any paint remover and you should be fine.

JonnyReb
04-15-2015, 02:23 PM
Thanks very much fellas, i really appreciate all the excellent advice. I've got several mild paint removers but had a fear of putting it on and watching the blue just disappear.
I feel better about giving it a try. Thanks again, J.